Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
How did you get to the RCA inputs on the back of your Sony Gigapanel to run iPod connectors?

it seems to have some kind of backing plate or plastic piece i can't figure out how to remove to get to the RCAs.

Anyone done this??
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
there should already be an ipod hook up up underneath the throttle
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-19-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
what coop said.. should be directly below and over of throttle assembly, forward of breaker panel..
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
really? dang i did look for that last weekend, but didn't see it...

you say it's ahead of the breaker panel? All the 07 gigapanels have that?
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-19-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Where do I get a cord to hook the Ipod up?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-19-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
ipod hookup may have been an option in '07? we have had it on both our '06 and '07 and always thought was standard however, we always went with the stereo upgrade? might double check? as far as the cord goes pennery, you might check any electronics store? i think we got ours from walmart for my truck that also worked in the boat? good luck..
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-19-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
It's not an iPod hookup. It's an MP3 headphone jack. It's near the 12volt plug as well. Depends on the boat too. If the stereo was added after the fact by the dealer, it probably won't have it.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
It is a mp3 auxillary jack. You just use a double sided head phone jack. You have to use your i-pod to control everything except for the volume so that kinda sucks. As everyone else said it is right by the fuses. I picked up the 6 foot chord at wal mart for 10 bucks. On a side noted is it possible to hook one ipod up to 2 stereos using a split jack?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-19-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
I did not have the jack in my 07 23 LSV so I got the Sony Ipod connection off ebay it plugged right in and the Ipod can be controlled by any of the remotes
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Okay, you made me second guess myself...

I went down to the dock in my dress shoes this morning before work and crawled around on the floor of the boat.

My 2007 vRide DOES NOT have a mp3 jack by the breakers under the throttle or anywhere on the console for that matter.

back to trying to figure out how to get the backing plate off and get to the Sony RCAs.

Any ideas??
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
tj, it is very simple you will need to remove the face plate then you will see 4 little rectangles. use a flat head screwdriver to push down on them and pull with the other hand. repeat time four. now that you have the trim ring off you need to remove the throttle should be three screw. slide it out and let it hang out of the way. heres were it gets hard. you will need to reach in behind the deck and un screw the strap that attach's to the back. you have to do this by touch. took me about 5 minutes. now that the hard part is over you need to take the keys which should have been supplied by Malibu in you owners manual bag and slide them down the side of the head unit until you hear a click then slowly slide the head unit out of the mounting ring. wallah there you go. If you need more help let me know i have had mine out a dozen times in the last month and the hardest part is that strap in the back. oh and don't loose your keys!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
also you better check with sony but im almost sure that there is not rca inputs. it is a 3.5mm jack.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-20-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
who cares, the gigapanel has RCA inputs.

TJ I run the gigapanel and use the RCA to headphone jack. I will eventually get the Ipod adapter for that radio so I can control the Ipod with the remotes.

If your running multiple remotes it's nice to have that capability.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
cool Jason I just waent sure.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
i do have the remote near the driver seat knee, and a back transom remote.

can i tap into those for the iPod instead of taking the stereo out??
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-20-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
No you need to take out the stereo. Do you have the keys? It's really easy.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
This is the unit I installed as Jason said its super easy

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/accessories/XA-110IP
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Bryan you have the 07 Sony gigapanel?

saw the except MEX-1GP, MEX-1GPX on that iPod controller the other day, made me think it wouldn't work for the gigapanel.

it does work???
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Yep it works, the only down side is there is no charge feature so you need to recharge the ipod every night. its nice to hide the ipod and control it right from any of the remotes.
On the Kenwood I had on the Supra it also charged but I guess you learn to live with it. I have left it hooked up in the boat and forgot to recharge and was without the pod for a day but the giga had enough on it
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-23-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
liljohn

when you said undo the strap i was picturing a cloth/vecro strap. i didn't read very closely you say unscrew. i am going to have to find an eye-glasses sized screwdriver or something, there is no room to work in there at all!!

on a side note, it appears that the 2 remotes for my transom remote and drivers side remote are coming out of my "bus" connector. Actually the bus connector wire comes out then goes into a splitter that the 2 remotes plug in to.

I'm thinking i'm going to do it like this.

1. i have another bus splitter that came with the CD changer stuff for the headunit.

Can i just plug my iPod connector bus wire into that splitter, then the transom remote bus wire into the same cd changer splitter, unplugging the transom remote bus wire and pluging the CD changer bus wire into the open spot in the original splitter?

is that confusing enough for you.

Basically 1 wire comes out of the stereo. then it has a splitter attached. the 2 current remotes attach to the splitter, filling both outlets.

i'm going to unplug one of those outlets plug a new splitter into it, creating two more outlets from that single outlet. then plug the transom remote into 1 of the new outlets and the iPod controller into the other new outlet.

how does that sound????
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
tj,
If ya dont get it workin I will look at it and I will get it goin for ya if I see ya down here
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
he tj you just need a stubby screw driver. slide the deck out as far as you can and you can get a stubby in there.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-29-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Bryan, Jason and liljohn.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Bryan thank you for responding and letting me know that it definately works for the gigapanel headunit.

I actually got the XA-120IP instead of the 110IP its the newer version. It charges the iPod as well while it's plugged in. http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/accessories/XA-120IP

I installed it all tonight afterwork doing it exactly as i planned in my post above and it works perfectly!

Jason - i didn't even have to take the headunit out, good thing b/c getting the strap unscrewed was going to be hell.

I used the CD changer bus splitter that came with the boat incase you wanna add a CD changer.

1. Noticed that when i unplugged the (Sony RM-X55M) remote, the one by the drivers knees, then plugged it back into the cd changer splitter it initially would control the sound, but the display was not lighting up or displaying anything -- just blank. I turned the boat off and restarted it and it works now!

I am so happy.

1. Got the headunit to control the stereo
2. Got the circle rmx55m display remote by my knees.
3. Got the circle rmx55m display remote on the transom.
4. Got the iPod plugged in and serving up the music as well as charging the whole time.

One thing i think is weird is that when the iPod is plugged in i can't control anything on it. Just has a XpLod logo across the face/display.

but don't really need anymore control of the tunes -- i guess 3 places is enough.

thanks again for the responses and helping me out!

whats the next step??

i guess now i need to add tower speakers and a sub??