Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
why are so many people listing their used boats for more than a new one.....what am I missing? for example the supra 21v 2006 is for sale at a dealer for 42000 and change......yet in the classifieds here there are several supras used listing for 44 and up. There are even 2005 listed for more than a new 2006 pretty much loaded....whats up?
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I know what you're saying.. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the right boat now.. I crack up when I see what some people think their boat is worth.. I guess they're trying to re-coup the tax they payed too..
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
some people are lucky and sell their boat right away.....but I have seen many that sit up to a year or more.......I watched a 1999 x star start at 35000....to over one year later list for 29000 and then finally sell for 27000. I find most list realistically 5 to 10000 too high. Thats just the way I see it....this market as far as what boats are listed for are way out of whack.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-01-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
you gotta start somewhere.... new or used a boat is expensive. get used to it.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-01-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
If the boat you saw from the dealer was on boat trader then it is more than likely not 42000. Most dealers list the base price of the boat on boattrader rather than the actual selling price. If it is on boattrader call the dealer and check the price. If it is actually 42k and he can sell it to you jump on it because that is a pretty good price.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-01-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
I'm with Chris, 42k sounds really cheap for an 06 21v.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
chris....I emailed the dealer the boat is pretty much loaded he said "The price of $42,995 includes all
options, freight, and prep. " It is end of season clearance.

Brent......yes they are expensive!....and I am commenting because I am looking and would like to get one cheaper/or a "good" deal. I think many experienced folks probably wait and take their time to get an excellent price on a boat. I believe that if you are too emotional and buy the boat after negotiating on your first visit...you will pay too much. You must always be willing to lose the boat to another.

For your information....I was told by a reliable source that a regal session wholesale cost the dealer 34800.....and they started listing at 60000....now the price is down to 51000... in any event how much profit should the dealer make? On this boat even at 38000 he is making a handsome profit (especially if he just had to order a boat....)

In any event it just makes you wonder what the mark ups on other brands are?

I wish the boating industry was more transparent such as when you buy a car. For any car you can find the invoice price.....anyone get a dealer to tell them this info so you can make a fair offer....or can you find this any where else...? ....don't think so

So it doesn't hurt to be patient.
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-01-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Willing to let my used boat go for 52 grand. I paid 46 for it two years ago.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
.....nice boat vince......this same dealer has a 22ssv which he says is priced below invoice (still doesn't tell me what invoice is....wonder if he would show me the bill) also for 42995......not to make you feel bad about your price.....but its always possible to get a cheaper deal....doing it is the hard part.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Just to clear some things up, the 2006 21V STARTED AT 42,995. When you started upgrading options such as engine, bimini, cover, tower speakers, lights, trailer options, props, etc, you are looking at a $52k boat. So $42k for a used 2006 21V is a steal.

For leftover boats, obviously dealers don't want many carry-overs year to year. They will sometimes drop the price pretty low to get rid of it (sometimes giving additional options for free).

And for the mark-up comments. Every dealer and manufacturer has a different mark up for each brand, and sometimes each model. There really is no general rule for how much a dealer is or is trying to make on a boat. When shopping for a boat, try to get the best deal you can in your eyes. Only you will be able to tell if you feel like you are getting a fair price or not.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
....these boats are new 2006
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Okay, $42k for a new 2006 is a sweet deal too but they probably don't have quite the options some of the used ones do that are listed for more.

I know its different in each state but where I live, if you buy used, you don't pay taxes. That could be something to consider as well.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
Hey Micheal, i think alot of it has to do with options. above and beyond the boat that you are looking at with options, they might have 10 plus thousand dollars into a stereo. thus the reason they are higher. now the question is, is the extra options worth the extra for you over a new boat, not to me. i went with a brand new boat because i'll know how it's been treated, oil changes, i'll be able to personalize it the way i like it and so on. you think boat prices are bad (i'm assuming it's in the states) come up here to canada. 4-6 year old boats are literally with in a few thousand dollars of brand new. sorry for the book, but buddy who bought a bu last year had the dealer call him and offer the exact same money he paid for it, so he could upgrade. don't know if buddy is feeding us fulla crap, or the dealer is making serious coin on the new boat. it just don't add up.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
ryan...I am in canada also....but Iam looking to crossing the border for what you have just said...its ridiculus up here. So far from what I have learnt it isn't very difficult to import a new boat up here.... ....but I have some research left to do.

My examples of boats listing to high are from canada that have been for sale. I keep all my boat traders and have seen the same boats in them for over a year...until their prices drop....have also seen a few in ww classifieds sitfor quite a long time.

Anyways I realize its going to be tough slugging.
I think the dealers are making some real serious coin!!! at our expense!
Old     (air_warrior)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey Michael, don't let it get to you. Wait until mid January when it's -40 .... used boat deals do come along. Between now and March is the time to buy a used boat.
Old     (air_warrior)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
Ryan ... where's echo lake? What's your ride?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-01-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Vince, are those MC racks on your Supra?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-03-2006, 12:09 AM Reply   
what I find funny is people selling their older boats, 7-12 years old, for MORE than what the boat cost brand new back then.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-03-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
i have my 2006 24 ssv loaded, w trailor for 46,500, if someone wants pics or to talk e-mail me and i will five you my phone number
rush007865@aol.com
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-03-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
sticker on my boat was 60,300 in april, i did get a good deal b/c i buy a new boat every year and i can pass those savings on to someone else
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-03-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Michael Z
You should definitely be jumping on that 21V if you can pick it up for 42,995. I am sure when you say loaded it probably does not come close to as loaded as what some of these boats might have. Let us know exact options and we can help more. Keep in mind upgrades cost a ton of coin. If you think loaded is 2 tower speakers, heater, amp, swing tongue, tandem axle then you will learn that is not even close to loaded. Those are just the affordable options. But seriously you should consider buying that if it really is available and consider reselling it next year for what you paid for it. The price of the 21V just jumped another $2K this year (correct me if I am wrong dealers) which will help yours retain a little more value. I believe the 21V was the top selling Supra (maybe even SC?) boat last year.
Good luck on your purchase and let us know what you end up with.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-03-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Diggs.....you are right it is just the kind of basic loaded...all the essentials...no upgraded engine and all the extra excess stuff.

But on another note....wow I have gotton quite a response as far as offers for boats goes...I think this great...a lot of aggressive sellers.

So I am making it official.......I am a legitimate sales lead!!......for those interested....but am pretty hardnosed (to be upfront)....but its always worth a try!
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-03-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Bryan, Yes they are. I knew a MC owner would notice them some day. I hated the Roswell factory rattle traps, so they had to go.

Vince
Old     (woodsracer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
Supraforme - sent you a PM and email with my contact info. I am ready to pull the trigger immediately this week. Loan is approved, just need the boat. Please call me asap!
-Robert
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-04-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
now I have been following over 10 boats on ebay....I think only 1 has sold all the others were below reserve.......is this a good indicator of what the market will really bear or is ebay only a bunch of cheapskates like me who probably will never get a boat because we always think we can get it cheaper!
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Mike, my dad is the same way. he doesn't quite comprehend reserve pricing yet. he gets excited cuz he thinks he's getting an 06 xstar for 15000 or 25000 dollars cuz that's what the bidding is at. I think ebay is on different then the other boat ad sites. if a boat is selling for cheap, there's a reason for it. at least that's what I've observed over the last few years scouring ebay for deals. did you find a boat yet mike???
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-05-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
ryan I have gottoj a few good offers....but haven't pulled the trigger yet......still trying to eack afew dollars out of the boss and trying to explain why the boat costs more than the kitchen!!!

Did you get my email....with the boats you bought in the states.....what did you do for any warrenty claims?
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
mike, the dealerships claim that you just find a merc dealer and they will take care of you. tell your wife the same bogus thing they tell us, the kitchen is for the family, and the boat is for the family. i loved the expression on my wifes face when i threw it back at her. priceless
Old     (digger_004)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I was looking a used boats and thought they were too much too, so I just bought a new one. Better financing too. People always want their money out of their upgrades, but usually you don't get much resale for them. Also, since boat loans are spread out over and extended amount of years, they don't pay their loans down very much, so they are trying to sell them for what they still owe and they probably only paid down the interest, tax, shipping, and doc fees over a couple of years.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-09-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Rob i hope you love the boat as much as I have. It sucks your trip home took so long. Call me after the next nice weekend and tell me how she is doing.