Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    buckey            04-29-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
i need to give my boat a good cleaning/waxing on the bottom of the hull. any good ideas for this? could i use the hook on the nose and the two on the transom to lift the boat? will they hold? i have a 2001 supra launch. thanks
Old    6more            04-29-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Lifting rings are designed to do just that. However, I'm not sure if that is what your boat has. A good way to tell is if it has the bow eye as well as a loop on the top deck in the bow. If it has both, then the top deck mount is usually a lifting ring. There are usually disclaimers on the transom talking about the lifting rings too.

The bigger issue is what are you going to use to lift it? It obviously needs to be very heavy duty.

Most people I know will just crawl under the boat to get at about 85% of the hull. The areas under the bunks are about the only spot you can't clean, but they are usually pretty clean because the bunks themselves wipe off any crap when you load the boat on the trailer.

As far a waxing the bottom of the boat, it is really a waste of time. There is even a long debate about whether or not waxing your boat hull will actually lower your top end. A smooth surface will create more surface tension in the water. If the hull has a little roughness to it, it helps break this surface tension and the boat will theoretically go faster. Whether it makes a difference on these boats is something to be debated.

The other reason people wax is protection from UV rays. However, the bottom of the boat will rarely if ever get serious UV ray exposure, so again, there really isn't a need to wax the bottom.

I personally wax the entire side and what ever part of the hull I can reach easily. This includes most of the the hull where it curves up in the bow, but I won't worry climbing under the boat to wax it. I will climb under the boat and clean it with a strong hull cleaner about once a year.
Old    buckey            04-29-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
thanks for your input brian. i still plan on lifting it just to use a good hull cleaner. but i will forget about waxing the bottom. good thing my family is in the lumber business and there are plenty of 10,000lb lifts around. thanks
Old    whitechocolate            04-29-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
when you lift your boat off the trailer you should take some Compressed air and blow off your carpet. This will get all the smashed in dirt and rock's that wedged into the carpet out It will aso fluf up the carpet and make a better surface for your boat to sit on
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-29-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I've seen boats without bow lifting hooks use straps through the bow eye to lift them. Just make sure the strap is rated to handle that much weight.