Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-13-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
I need a new indash (2 1/8 inch opening)depth finder and have looked at these; Faria, Humminbird, Hawkeye, and Uniden. Any input on these manufacturers? Real life experiences?

I had a Teleflex and it read correctly about 25 percent of the time. I changed the transducer location 4 times and it never helped. I have read that the Humminbird HDR 600 had software problems but the new HDR 610 works better. I have read the Faria unit has some type of fluid in the transducer and works great.

Thanks
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-13-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
I just installed the new HDR 610 and does not seem to be accurate . I thought I had found the sweet spot for the transducer but apparently not. Seems to good while at lower speeds.

Since my install I have heard from a boat mechanic that their shop prefers the Unidens. Uniden uses oil in their tranducer.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-13-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
I had a HDR 600 in my last Sanger and it worked perfect, no problems. I installed a Hawkeye in my new boat and used the transom mount transducer glued to the inside of the hull and it never worked right so I took it back and ordered a Humminbird HDR 610 but not with the transom transducer but rather the "puck" type transducer because this is what was in my previous boat and it worked fine...we'll see this weekend. Even though they say you can use the transom transducer for gluing in hull, I think the puck style is suited better for in hull.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-13-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
One cool thing about the Faria one they have at overtons is that it measures air and water temp and it has compass. Something to think about if you dont mind drilling holes for the transom transducer.

DKJ
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-14-2006, 3:23 AM Reply   
Lowrance has a new one that looks pretty cool...super big display
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
I have the faria and while I enjoy the air and water temp the depth is only right below 10mph. I have also tried several locations.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
As far as Drilling holes...I am drilling two holes, one for Ballast intake and one for Perfect Pass so i would rather not drill another hole in my hull unless it is absolutley necessary. My Buddy had a Uniden in his boat and that thing worked great about 95% of the time. I can't remeber if it was an in hull, thru-hull or transom mount. I would venture to say that it was an puck style in hull.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
I've had a Uniden for about 3 yrs, and it's extremely accurate all the time. I even used silicone instead of epoxy to glue it to the hull, no problems. When you install the xducer, make sure the spot is seeing clean water flow all the time (not behind something like a raw water intake, and far enough aft that it won't be out of the water at high speeds). Also make sure the part of the hull you're attaching to is not cored.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
I installed a Uniden a few years back and followed the directions for mounting......no issues, and appears to read accurately.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-17-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
My new Humminbird HDR 610 worked flawlessly this past weekend.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
I just installed a Humminbird HDR610 with the thru hull transducer. First time out worked just fine.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-18-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Stick with the Uniden, Humminbird or Lowrance. i bought the Hawkeye @ west Marine and had to take it back after Mounting the insode transducer 3 times. It just wasnt strong enough. I got the Hdr 600 and it works great. Mounted in a Sanger Hull by the way.

Rick
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Clarification: when I say extremely accurate all the time, I'm not constantly measuring the depth and comparing it to the reading. I say that because it always reads a depth at any speed that looks reasonable for the area, and it doesn't constantly jump around and/or flash on & off like my old Teleflex in my last boat. I think that xducer placement is the most critical part of getting a steady reading, though, and it was mounted further forward (in front of the engine!) in my old direct drive.