Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-29-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
This is a pretty good article about Steve Jobs thoughts on Flash. I certainly agree with his first and fifth point.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-29-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
#1 is a hypocritical joke, and I'm no Adobe lover
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-30-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
You agree with point one? So Apple is not a proprietary product whore because their web browser supports HTML 5, CSS and JavaScript. WTF else could a web browser support and actually hold market share? Wait, Safari holds market share because until 2 weeks ago it was the ONLY browser avail for the iPhone. Apple is the king of proprietary bull****. That is why Apple fell by the wayside in the 80's and had to be led out of the abyss by the iPod.

As a matter of fact, Apple just nixed the CS5 Flash iPhone app utility... Hmmm

The rest of the points have merit but I still maintain that the single biggest reason Apple does not want Flash on the iPhone is revenue lost by not being able to run apps through the App Store. Wait, there is a concept, now THAT would be "openness"....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-02-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Carlos Icaza and Walter Luh, former Adobe mobile engineers, said they were raising flags at Adobe in 2007 about the same complaints that Jobs detailed Thursday.

“Walter and I, being the lead architects for Flash Lite, we were seeing the iPhone touch devices coming out, and we kept saying ‘Hey, this is coming along,’” Icaza said in a phone interview. “You have this white elephant that everybody ignored. Half the [Adobe] mobile business unit was carrying iPhones, and yet the management team wasn’t doing anything about it.”

They said they left Adobe because executives did not take the iPhone seriously when Apple announced the touchscreen device in 2007. Instead, Adobe focused on feature phones (cellphones with lightweight web features, not smartphones) and invested in development of Flash Lite to play Flash videos on such devices. Subsequently, Adobe shut down the mobile business unit in 2007, and has suffered from a brain drain in the mobility space ever since, Icaza and Luh said.
Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...#ixzz0mnEJz7gO
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-03-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
I agree with this statement regarding point one, Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. The part that web standards should be open.

Flash Lite, I almost forgot about that. That never seemed to take off.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-03-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ok I am with you there Matt.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-03-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
apple getting investigated:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/03/...-complier-ban/