Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
So I can smoke a tantrum everytime, I mean I can take it pretty big too, I am trying to decide if I should even try for a whirly or not yet, I havent been riding for too long, I was just wondering if all you really have to do is throw your arm back put your bicep across your face, and hold on?? thanks
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Yup they arent super difficult IMHO. I landed my first one before I could even throw a w2w hs bs 180. Then again I was pretty aggro in learning them. Now I could care less about the trick really. I have heard of people who can land a whirly and not even go w2w toeside.

I would definitely suggest putting a helmet on for the fall associated with over-rotating the spin as well as certain stories I have been told of head injuries associated with the falls. Be ready to continually be de-booted until you get the spin right, lol. Thats the most annoying part of learnign the trick, having to re-boot yourself almost everytime.

Good Luck!
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
ya, Im not the best at clearin w2w toeside, but I would love to do it if its not too hard
Old    jpbray            07-18-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
can you do 360's, 540's scarecrow, backroll etc...?
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2006, 4:36 AM Reply   
I ve got a tant, backroll, and toeside BR in my bag right now, and working on a ts FR
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-19-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Wait a sec... Am I reading this right? You can do a toeside back roll, but aren't very good at doing toeside wake to wake jumps?

By looking at your bad of tricks, I would stay away from the whirly for a while. I'd pick up a ts front roll and a scarecrow first. Also, I would get confortable with all of my 180's. The you can take your rolls to revert. At that point I would do the Whirly. Landing a whirly and mastering a whirly are two very different things. I haven't seen you ride, but from what I am reading, I would get a little more seasoned before attempting it. Actually, you can attempt it all you want (and maybe you might land it...who knows). But, I would take a more natural progression and do the other basic inverts first. Good luck, in whatever you decide to do :-)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I agree with Mike. I think the whirly is kind of like your first invert...Everyone wants to land one really bad, then you figure out that your skills and spinning suck in relation, lol. Its kind if like a raley too, a big crowd pleaser.

I would rather have all the basic spins (switch and regular) than focus on the whirly.

Flyhigh: I am thinking your ts backroll is probably hucked correct? Sometimes you dont clear the wake (depending on rope length and boat of course this may not be true)? I finally started doing mine clean and I have been able to take them much bigger without looping out (which is common with a hucked ts br) at 75 ft behind a vlx wakesetter.

Edit: if this is the problem here is how I went about mine: Go back to basic ts w2w and get really solid on taking them into the flats in control. It doesnt need to be batwing size, but good air with plenty of control. Then go back and try a backroll with that same progressive cut. Focus on really spinning from your toes at the lip of the wake rather than the typical looping out that people do to initiate the hucked backroll. When you get the corrected form you will definitely feel it which is a great feeling. Then try a ts br to revert, you should get that one is less than 5 trys.

(Message edited by liquidmx on July 19, 2006)