Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
I've kicked around the idea of getting another sub in my 21i now since winter when I redone everything. I've pulled a tape every way possible to get a box in the observer compartment. Then I built 2 separate boxes for the ski locker that didnt fit by about 1/2". This is the last thing I can think of, and the easiest. Im thinking about building an identical box, maybe not the same dimensions but same volume and same tune, as the box under the helm. I would have the interior guy pleat some white vinyl to match the center cushion already there, and cover the top of the box with it. I'd also cut 2 kick panels and have them pleated for both ends of the box. I'd start the sub box AfTER the center cushion that is already there. So the box and the cushion over the box would be offset from the center cushion about 6-8 inches. I dont really want the box 3'-5" long, which is the dimension from the center cushion thats already there, to the sub box baffle that is under the helm. Since they're both facing the cabin, would it phase or matter if the boxes are offset a foot from each other? I've got the 13w7 and 1000/1 v2 sitting around already. I also have carpet for a small amp rack under the observer compartment flip up seat back, which is the perfect size for that amp. I also already have the acrylic ring with LED's glued to it and stand offs. So I have stuff laying around to accomplish everything, besides a 100 bucks in wood. Since I cant get out on the water this weekend because of the cold weather, rain, and 20mph winds, I figured I might as well see if this is something I want to pursue. I know everyone is probably thinking just buy a new boat, but that's not going to happen this summer Anyone with their opinion or ideas on the phasing issue, or the look of it? I think if done like Im thinking about, it would look pretty badass, and sound even better!! I have 4 interstate 29's for a battery bank, rocker switches to shut amps off at party cove, and a perko switch to a starting battery, so Im not to worried about the draw on the house bank. Let me know what you guys think, Im wanting to start the box today. Ill attach my quick sketch and some pics.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-03-2013, 11:46 AM Reply   
hell yeah go for it!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
The gear
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
Luckily I measured from the floor before I started building the box. The walkthru walls slope in at the bottom, throwing all my measurements off So now, there's not enough room for my port to be right next to the sub. The easy plan B would to have the port going horizontal, eathier on top or below the sub. Surely that wouldnt hurt anything as far as phasing would it? Waiting for the go ahead so I can get started.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-12-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
Making a little progress if anyone cares
I got the sub box built. It's identical to the one under the helm, just with the port on top. I had to move the sub box back about 8"s so the seats would still open. So therefore I had to build a whole new bow cushion. It had a 10" offset from the lower bow cushion to the top of the box. Someone talked me into sloping a backrest on it instead of just squaring everything off. I need to test fit everything one more time, then the panels will b going to the upholstery shop.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-12-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-14-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   

Pieces are at upholster. Should have it back by the end of the weekend. Ill mount the box, then mount the trim panels from inside the box. Ill post pics when it's all finished.
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-15-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Looks great. Coming from a previous 21i owner , I know how little space there is for stereo in that boat. Will the new sub be lighted also?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-15-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Thanks. Neither sub has LEDs around it tho. Just speakers, amps, and cup holders. I didn't feel like making rings for the subs, and the w7s mount thru the rubber. The tower will b next for LEDs if I ever get around to it.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-20-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Not to thrilled with the upholstery guy. I even brought him a piece of the vinyl to copy off of to get the pleats and stitching to match up. The thread is white instead of silver like the rest of the boats pleats, and the diamonds are different size. :BangHead: Owell I guess. The sub is ready to mount. What do u guys think of it?

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-20-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
looks killer!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
Looks great!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Bryce,

From the pics, it looks like the sub enclosure you built and the upholstery work all came together very well. Excellent job!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-20-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
That is super cool use of space--and you added a bow seat. Nice.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-20-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Hopefully I will have finished pics of the install tomorrow. I still need to mount the box and trim panels, and mount the sub. Most of the wires to the new amp are already ran. I cant wait to hear both subs pound.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-22-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
Got everything hooked up tonight and it slams! I have a distortion detector on its way so I can final tune everything. Ill take a video of everything when I tune it and its out of the unit. All you can hear is the tin trying to fall down

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-22-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
Good job. It would have been really cool if the diamond pattern and stitch color matched the rest of the boat though.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-22-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Good job. It would have been really cool if the diamond pattern and stitch color matched the rest of the boat though.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2013, 11:30 PM Reply   
I'm interested to hear if you think the extra bass is worth the loss of space after you use it for awhile.
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Looks great
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-23-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I'm interested to hear if you think the extra bass is worth the loss of space after you use it for awhile.
I think if your'e into bass you tend to look at it as a use of space, not a loss thereof
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I think if your'e into bass you tend to look at it as a use of space, not a loss thereof
Yeah, I've never regretted using up extra space for bass! Looks great, Bryce!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-23-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thanks, that was my thinking too I never keep anything up there, besides jackets under the helm. All I know is I could pass put on that comfy seat I made.