Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
So my first post here is trying to gain some knowledge from everyone. I got introduced to HLCD's and Wet Sounds on my cousins WakeSetter and was very impressed. We use our boats mainly for family time with fishing trip thrown in there rarely. Recently sold/boght a new boat and need to outfit it with some audio gear. Installed a Fusion IP700, with 4-zone volume control. Cabin/Helm Area/Fishing Cockpit/Tower.

Last boat was JL orientated as their stuff is tried and trued. It is pricey but it does last in Florida UV/Salt water. Other speakers dissolved within a matter of months, found out first hand. So I am looking at quality stuff, and the word on the streets it that Wet Sounds is high quality sound,and supposedly robust enough to survive the environment year on end.

Only problem is, I don't know anyone that runs it on their boat, yet alone has had any real time on it. Years+. So I am looking to take a leap of faith and outfit my new ride with possibly a mix of Wet Sounds or all.

I was originally planning on running all JL cockpit and subs and amps, any only Wet Sounds tower speakers, but could run 2 pair of cockpit SW-808's, 2-SW10's, and 2 Tower speakers, they will go somewhere on my marlin tower(standard round tube clamp) and hopefully only 2 amps.

I was all in for the HLCD after watching youtube video after video, but then really thought about their actual use. While it would be awesome to supply the entire island with music, it wouldn't be practical. We are usually only 40-50' max from the boat when at the beach and that's at anchor with no engine noise. So was wondering if the Icon8's would make me happy.

Also is their 808 comparable to JL's new 880's? I got to handle a pair of 880's and all i can say is wow, and they are MASSIVE. I have not heard them but they are impressive to look at, but PRICEY.

So I am looking for advice and knowledge of the Icon8 vs. Rev8, beach perspective.
808 cockpit speakers, say vs JL M series, mainly the 880's but if no one has them then the 770's.

And also Sinister Amp for their price point. JL equipment can be had on a number of online retailers that aren't supported by JL, but offer significant discount's from retail. I have used them before and been happy, but also have a local JL dealer than can get pretty close with the added warranty.

Wet Sounds has limited dealers in Tampa/Jax, two areas I frequent and neither stock stuff. Only got to view it installed on boats from factory.

So that's it for now, Thanks for your time!

Tripper
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
I did a 38' Renegade CC boat last week with 4 sets of XS-808's and a Syn4 powering them. Sounded excellent.

You're gonna get a mix of Wet Sounds VS. JL on here, and the only real way to tell the difference is to hear them from yourself. If this is your first post, you obviously don't know who on here has credible advice - everyone has their own opinion.
Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
Yeah it is my first post but everytime I have googled wet sounds reviews and questions I usually got pointed here and wound up reading thread after thread. See the wetsounds rep post a lot and also earmark which is usually incredibly in depth.

I like equal responses from both sides as it means they are comparable. Then things begin to boils down to price point and personal preference.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Yes, service and support from Wet Sounds isn't lacking one bit. Not many manufacturers or retail dealers browse these forums to answer product related questions. You won't find much better than WS in that arena. David from Earmark is great with tech support too. He's given me a lot of good ideas on installs in the last few years.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-26-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
Not to highjack, but how do the XS808s compare to the xs650s? Especially running 8 on 1 syn 4? I'd think on a SD4, that'd be money if a guy wanted to spend that much extra coin. As for the Rev 8's, I dont think you will need them unless you want to shut everyone else down at the beach. When I go get the truck to load the boat, Im about 3-400 yards from the boat and it just keeps getting louder with it cranked about 3/4 the way up. Its ridiculous, but thats with 4 Rev 10s. Icon 8s are surf speakers, so they should definitely get the job done for you. Others will pitch in, but eathier way, I dont think you can go wrong. Wetsounds does have killer support, and you cant even call JL and get a part shipped even though a dealer is an hour and a half away.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
Forget talking to anyone human at companies like JL Audio....

Bryce, the 808's had a little deeper midbass, but your right, an SD4 would've been perfect. Customer didn't want it, the Syn4 suited his needs. I agree on the Icon8's. They don't have the HLCD so they aren't nearly as loud, which may be right up your alley Tripper.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-26-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Forget talking to anyone human at companies like JL Audio....

Bryce, the 808's had a little deeper midbass, but your right, an SD4 would've been perfect. Customer didn't want it, the Syn4 suited his needs. I agree on the Icon8's. They don't have the HLCD so they aren't nearly as loud, which may be right up your alley Tripper.
Hmmmm. Maybe on the next boat I bet with the SD4 on them, there would have been a big difference???? Mayb not tho, but would be awesome if someone had a comparison. Done hijacking tho. Let us know what you go with and how it suits your needs Tripper!
Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
Also do I need to be conscious of where I install the speaker in relation to the fiberglass hardtop. What are the approximate projection cones of say the ICON 8 and Rev8. Are the HLCD say a "spot light" with narrow projection field, and the ICON 8's a "flood light" with wide field. The mounting position I had envisioned was on the main tube of my upper helm, which would place the speaker about 5' from the rear of the hard top and about 18 to 20" above it. Would this block most of the sound? Moving them back as far as possibly be best?

Last edited by Trpntj; 03-26-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
Not to highjack, but how do the XS808s compare to the xs650s? Especially running 8 on 1 syn 4? I'd think on a SD4, that'd be money if a guy wanted to spend that much extra coin. As for the Rev 8's, I dont think you will need them unless you want to shut everyone else down at the beach. When I go get the truck to load the boat, Im about 3-400 yards from the boat and it just keeps getting louder with it cranked about 3/4 the way up. Its ridiculous, but thats with 4 Rev 10s. Icon 8s are surf speakers, so they should definitely get the job done for you. Others will pitch in, but eathier way, I dont think you can go wrong. Wetsounds does have killer support, and you cant even call JL and get a part shipped even though a dealer is an hour and a half away.
Bryce,

Regardless of the power driving a speaker, a larger speaker will offer deeper mid-bass, and typically a little more output due to inefficiency, when powered the same. Think of a RZ2 and RZ4, both with the PCM 343. That engine will push the larger RZ4 just fine, yet you still get all the benefits of the larger boat. An SD-4 or SD-6 would certainly push the larger 808 to their potential, but is not necessary in order to gain the benefits of a larger 8" over of 6.5".
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2013, 5:31 AM Reply   
Tripper,
Your 'projection cone' looks accurate in showing the most intense pattern. The polar pattern will be very broad in the immediate proximity and continue to narrow with distance. The dispersion pattern changes with frequency and is different for horizontal and vertical, with stereo/dual speakers.
A conventional speaker with a dome tweeter will offer a little wider dispersion and the high frequencies will dissipate a little quicker. The largest difference is that the HLCD is just plain more powerful, louder and will project farther. The 'spot' versus 'flood' effect between an HLCD and conventional speaker is marginally different and only marginally different in the treble region. Louder is just louder near and far.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Bryce,

Regardless of the power driving a speaker, a larger speaker will offer deeper mid-bass, and typically a little more output due to its efficiency, when powered the same. Think of a RZ2 and RZ4, both with the PCM 343. That engine will push the larger RZ4 just fine, yet you still get all the benefits of the larger boat. An SD-4 or SD-6 would certainly push the larger 808 to their potential, but is not necessary in order to gain the benefits of a larger 8" over of 6.5".
Edit to correct typo
Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
How are the free air 10" WS subs? And does anyone else have a dis-taste for the speaker grille? I know that's totally personal opinion, and they do go better on the fancier go fasts/wakeboats/ATV's, but I am putting them in a teak filled sportfish. Are there any other options for grilles off the shelf from a 3rd party?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
Which grills, the SW or the XS?
Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Which grills, the SW or the XS?
Well both actually, they have the iconic iron cross that stands out on both grilles. I just always think west coast choppers or luftwaffe when i see them, but it would be the sw series.

Everything on SW boats gets washed and sprayed and a grille protects the speaker from the boat brush.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
On both the SW XS 6.5" speakers, the tweeter is part of the grill. I dont see going with an aftermarket grill/tweeter that would fit the basket and bolt hole spread.
Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go all Wet Sounds, to be a test bed for all my friends. Tomorrow gonna order, 2 pair of sw-808, 2-sw10fa, and gonna go with the Icon8's...

I appreciate your guys' time!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM Tripper