Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dbrendel)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-01-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-01-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Isn't it bad advertising or a bad message to kids that he's riding without a vest?..... anyone?
sick moves but still....
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-01-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
Oh no, its the vest police. I would consider concentrating your efforts on surfing (real surfing, not lame wake surfing) and why they don't wear life vests? Or windsurfers? Or kite boarders?

Professional athletes, and every adult in America, has a right to make their own decisions when it comes to personal safety.

Great video!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-01-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Kybool, the sheriff of the libertarian wakeworld police policing the vest police who police the pros. Oh snap.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
So sick! I havent seen much of Rathy this past year so its cool to see his videos. He is one of my favorite wakeboarders to watch for sure. Super tech with a style I really enjoy watching.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-01-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
To each their own on wearing a jacket, but you would think that you would like to help support your sponsor. Unless Xcel cut Rathy, it just isn't good marketing on his part to not wear a jacket or even a heater top or something. At least he is riding behind an MB this time.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-01-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
that HS Melan Osmosis 3 was sick!
Old     (JP)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-01-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
Yes, Rathy rips!! Boat and rails--one of the best ever.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-01-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
That is Officer KYBOOL to you Hanley
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-01-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Yeah they dont need it just ask Chad Sharpe.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-01-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
Oh no, its the vest police. I would consider concentrating your efforts on surfing (real surfing, not lame wake surfing) and why they don't wear life vests? Or windsurfers? Or kite boarders?

Professional athletes, and every adult in America, has a right to make their own decisions when it comes to personal safety.

Great video!
Your actually BY LAW required to wear a PFD when being towed behind any water craft. But it you think that your not gonna fall hard knocking yourself unconscious and drowning before people can get to you... I guess that's just fine... but I mean at least you'll have looked super cool doing it.

I'm not knocking his riding, but even my kids asked where's his jacket.

Last edited by Wiatowski; 12-01-2011 at 3:05 PM.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-01-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
havent even watched it yet but just gonna comment on how awesome i know its gonna be
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-01-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
to each his own with the vest thing though, if you wanna die then dont wear one
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-01-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
rathys style is badass
Old     (Mike_McMillen)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-01-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Yeah they dont need it just ask Chad Sharpe.
You could also ask Corey Kraut's family or anyone that was close to Corey. More people need to stand up for making sure that young people aren't influenced to think its cool. We all thought it was cool in the late 90's and early 2000's and it led to serious tragedy. Just think about young lives that don't completely realize the consequences and how quickly things get out of control.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-01-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
LOL... I hadnt even looked at the thread until after I watched the video and thought to myself... hmmphhh... how long will it take for this to turn into a massive flame about rathy throwing down without a vest..

AND +1 on that osmosis 3... soo sick.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-01-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
Your actually BY LAW required to wear a PFD when being towed behind any water craft.
Not in Minnesota.

Did I mention that the riding was awesome?

Last edited by ironj32; 12-01-2011 at 4:46 PM.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-01-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Well put, I have never ridden without one.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-01-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
Don't you know that wearing a life vest increases the surface area of your body and you will hit the water harder, coming to an abrupt stop causing more internal damage on your organs

...I keeed.

would never advocate anything less of a USCG PFD
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-01-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Don't you know that wearing a life vest increases the surface area of your body and you will hit the water harder, coming to an abrupt stop causing more internal damage on your organs

...I keeed.

would never advocate anything less of a USCG PFD
This is quite clever, but I really shouldn't laugh because you're making a very important point. Well put.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-02-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
rathys sponsor probably tells him not to wear a vest.. looks badass and gets people to talk about him
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-02-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
It is not a law in Wisconsin either. Just have to have one on the boat for everyone. His riding is awesome but you wonder why he loses sponsors.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-02-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
That was amazing. Rathy makes it look so easy. Easily one of the best riders out there.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
If you're dumb enough to think it's safe to do everything you see in an online video then you deserve the Darwin Award that's coming your way.

I really don't want to live in a world where the only videos allowed to be posted online are ones that can be safely copied by everyone at home without any risk of harm.
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-02-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post
Your actually BY LAW required to wear a PFD when being towed behind any water craft. But it you think that your not gonna fall hard knocking yourself unconscious and drowning before people can get to you... I guess that's just fine... but I mean at least you'll have looked super cool doing it.

I'm not knocking his riding, but even my kids asked where's his jacket.

I immediately stopped reading YOUR post when you misspelled the first word.

Where is his vest? In the boat, of course.

Sick sick riding.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-02-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
^^^ haha @ vest is in the boat

Whats the spin called where he let go entirely of the handle 1:20 or so
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
He IS setting a bad example. But I want start my safety rant again.

How are all of you seeing osmosis 3? It's definitely an osmosis 540
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-02-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
^^ thank you cisco
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
BlitzedVLX that's an Osmosis 5..

My wakeboard floats so wouldnt that be considered a flotation device?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-02-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmo42 View Post
I immediately stopped reading YOUR post when you misspelled the first word.

Where is his vest? In the boat, of course.

Sick sick riding.
Sorry for the spelling mistake YOU'RE obviously a person who picks out every thing but the point. I think I can peg YOUR mentality with the vest is in the boat statement.
Laugh it off if you'd like but people will ask " Why wasn't he wearing a vest" when he ends up in a body bag.

I think there should be a level of responsibility when your a professional and in the public eye, not to mention looked up to by kids.

The Law I referred to is in Canada.... sorry to here it's not that way in the south.

As for the ignorant comments on the matter .... maybe you should read a pro wakeboarders take on the matter.

http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...keboard-crash/
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-02-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
His riding is awesome but you wonder why he loses sponsors.
What sponsors has he lost? He seems to be doing pretty well for himself...
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-02-2011, 7:55 PM Reply   
Nautique to MB and Hyperlite to Byerly. Not so much a loss as a change. Although as far as mainstream popularity, I guess it is a loss. Up to parents to teach their kids personal accountability, Rathy's not doing his job as a role model for the kids of the world, blah blah bla...we've all heard it. Rathy shreds real hard, thats good enough for me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-03-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
For what its worth, each state has its own vest laws. In MN we have really mellow laws about vest and spotters. You dont have to ride with a vest, you just have to have on in the boat for the rider. You dont need a spotter or a 3rd as long as your have a mirror. And you dont need a skiers down flag at all.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-03-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
sorry to here? where is that?

The Law I referred to is in Canada.... sorry to here it's not that way in the south.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-03-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Why has this become a grammar and spelling competition? Somebody decided to post a video he enjoyed, and everyone is entitled to post what they want on said video. If you want to pick apart every single post on the internet and notify the writer of their mistakes, where are you getting? Congratulations. You can spell better than someone else.

As for the video, it was great. I loved the riding on both boat and rail, and the osmosis 5 was perfect. Yeah I noticed he wasn't wearing a jacket, and I immediately knew it was going to be a dispute. But if you think that you don't need it, go for it. I'm not saying don't wear one, it is really personal preference. I always wear mine, because I am nowhere near as skilled as Rathy. I'm sure he was aware of the risks of not wearing a jacket, and he had all sorts of crew riding along with him that could respond quickly if he were to go down.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-03-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysk8er222 View Post
I always wear mine, because I am nowhere near as skilled as Rathy.
It has nothing to do with skill. Being a better rider doesn't make you any less likely to drown. It's just a risk that Rathy chooses to accept, as you said.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-03-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
If we're splitting hairs here...being better in my mind means you're less likely to fall, and you cant drown if you're not in the water. But I still like vests.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-03-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
If we're splitting hairs here...being better in my mind means you're less likely to fall, and you cant drown if you're not in the water. But I still like vests.
Nope. Believe it or not, all of the pros I've ridden with fall just as much as you do. If you aren't falling, you aren't trying.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2011, 9:36 PM Reply   
Grammar police are more worser than vest police.

@abner- if you are going to put someone on blast, do it right. Jamie did NOT misspell the first word "your", he incorrectly used a correctly spelled word.

So, spotter, to help you in your quest to become wakeworlds grammatical spot-o-matic, i will show you what your post should have looked like: " I immediately stopped reading YOUR post when you incorrectly used a correctly spelled word."

You are welcome.

Back to rathy and his responsibility to be a good role model. Sponsors bank on the fact that people will buy a board, boat, shoe, vest... because a pro wears or rides it. So why then when a pro doesnt wear a vest, that rule suddenly doesnt apply. That somehow kids will suddenly not want to do what the pro does because some law somewhere says its wrong. Doesnt make sense to accept money because of a rule yet say that you have no responsibiliy to be a good example ignoring the rule.

Taylor swift was recently interviewed and has an excellent understanding of this. Check it out, i think it was abc or 20/20 or something.

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 12-03-2011 at 9:39 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2011, 9:41 PM Reply   
Interview was on 60 minutes on nov 17.
Old     (iacconi)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-05-2011, 1:14 AM Reply   
So good to see Aaron ..... RIIIIIPPING again, what a PROFESSIONAL!!!
Old    readyaimfire            12-05-2011, 3:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Nope. Believe it or not, all of the pros I've ridden with fall just as much as you do. If you aren't falling, you aren't trying.
This hasn't been my experience. They usually get back in the boat with there hair as dry as when they took off. Haha.

The video was sick! If Rathy stays healthy this year he will give Harley and Phil some problems for sure.

Riding without a vest is dumb, but please stop with all the preaching on the forums everyone! I already have a dad!
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Funny, but i would argue most pros know a little more about their riding capabilities than you. If Rathy wants to ride without a vest i say do it. That video was DIRTY
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-05-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
That video was way cooler looking because he was riding without a vest.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
The way I heard it was he didn't need to wear a vest cause the air in his head keeps him afloat?
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-05-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
hahahahahhaah ohh this site. never changes. Vest police.....classic.

Sick riding by Rathy. That osmosis was awesome. Personally couldn't care less if he wore a vest.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-06-2011, 4:49 AM Reply   
Kid is on fire!

Vest? Who cares