Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-17-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
so i graduated college in the fall and my health insurance will run out in August. just wondering what some options are for health insurance that will cover wakeboarding. i've had several injuries in wakeboarding and i just want to make sure i am covered at an affordable price. anybody have any luck with this?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-18-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
Just about any plan should cover wakeboarding. My advice is to get a plan that doesn't cover anything until you reach a certain out-of-pocket limit. When I had my own plan, it didn't cover anything until I reached 2,000.00 OOP. I never went to the doctor so I wasn't interested in the co-pay thing. It was just there in case something serious happened, i.e. my broken ankle a few summers ago that required surgery.

You will still get the doctor's office insurance discount if something minor happens. You will save big time on your monthly payment as compared to a low-deductible plan so it all balances out.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
What Jeremy said, AND get a health savings account (HSA) to go with it.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-19-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
I would be careful with the HSA and high deductable insurance. It may save you a few bucks monthly but in the long run may cost you more if you dont have serious injury. For example. I have a $2500 deductable which I pay 100% of the bill until I reach $2500.00. Then I have a co insurance from 2500-5000 which I pay 20% of the bill. ONce I reach $5000 i pay nothing.

So I had knee surgery this past November. Bc I had it in november I met my $2500 deductable quickly but then Jan 1st came around and my deductable reset. So my therapy follow up visits and knee brace now are out of my pocket again bc i havent reached my 2011 2500 deductable. Long story short dont let surgerys span years or your deductable will drop again. I learned this the hard way

Now I mentioned that it could cost you more if you jsut are using for doctor visits and what not. So say you visit your dr for a cold and he bills you say $200.00. He then send the bill to you INs Comp. and they adjust it on the EOB(explanation of Benenfits) to 75$ which is "customary". You are responsible for the $75. No co pay or nothing, jsut a $75 check from your HSA acct. It can add up and you may never reach your deductable so essentially you are paying full price for the visit minus the EOB adjustment plus your monthly insuirance fee. Can really add up.

I personall like the convential co payment type of insurance. The high deductable ones tend to be much more work. Oh and dont forget to keep every reciept ever in case you get audited. And also check every EOB because 1 out of 2 was processed incorrectly in my case. The HSA acct can only be used for medical expenses and can never be removed for anythign else even if you are willing to pay a penalty. Or at least this is what I was told.

But to answer your question, all insurnace will cover any injury including wakeboarding ones.

Last edited by mc_x15; 05-19-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-19-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
All insurance should cover these types of injuries. I'd be surprised if any didn't. When you get a job you'll learn you often don't have too many choices. You may have no choice at all in your plan, or it might just be "A or B". I had insurance through work while I was in school. Last year they changed our plan yet again, for the worse. I believe the coverage on our latest plan change amounts to "Don't get hurt". Welcome to the corporate world of the little man getting screwed so the yuppies can get annual bonuses around the amount of your salary and not have to worry about how much they pay for healthcare. Good luck on finding coverage.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
Check out ridersurance.com I'm a good friend of the owner and they specialize in extreme sports policies. They even sponsor some moto and street bike guys
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-20-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
You can stay on your parents until your 26 now FYI... Obamacare son

But yeah dude... i don't really see why a normal plan wouldn't cover wakeboarding injuries... mine always has.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-20-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Check the deets:

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14497
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
I'm in CA so I can only speak for this state, but most policies will cover wakeboarding (ie. 99.9%). When you start getting into activities that will rate you up, we are talking pretty gnarly stuff. They will ask if you race or skydive and things like that. Honestly these questions are more prevalent in Life Insurance underwriting, many companies will have a "Dangerous Activities" questionnaire. I think the main issue would be if you were making your living doing these "extreme" sports, they avoid people that like to get radical...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-21-2011, 3:56 AM Reply   
Blue Cross of Tennessee sent me a long questionnaire after my sons knee injury. How did it happen, where did it happen, was a vehicle involved, who was driving, were any other insurance policies in effect at the time of the injury, etc. The cover letter said under state and federal law I was required to disclose any information that would allow them to recover expenses from other liable parties.

It made me feel that any time I allow someone to ride behind my boat I am potentially liable for any accident or injury that occurs.