Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (bigred03)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'm searching to buy my first wakeboard boat, and I was looking for some tips on what to look for when looking at and test driving a pre-owned boat. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-25-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Stress cracks and blisters on the hull.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-25-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
The 5 Most Important Things to Remember When Buying a Used Wake Boat

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2007/05/the_5_most_important_things_to.html

(Message edited by juniorhawk on June 25, 2007)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Wood stringers - some boat builders used/still use wood. If you're looking at one of these, make sure the stringers are in good condition. replacing them is a LOT of work and expensive.

Mechanics: engine - check for cracks in manifolds/risers. compression check. leak-down if needed. plug inspection. Hours - you want some continuous use, but not 2000.
Transmission is pretty hard to tear up. Make sure it doesn't make a lot of noises. A little rattle at idle is acceptable.
Check all fluids. Milky fluids - water in the fluid, a leak somewher, stay away. YOu want good levels w/ clean fluid. Completely clear fluid, ask a few questions cuz its brand new. could be hiding something.

Hull - check for cracks/wear. abnormal stress (double-ups w/ weight) can spider crack the hull. check around the tower feet and keel.

What else?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-25-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I've always wondered about what I would do if I was selling my boat and someone demanded that I let them do a compression check. I see the benefit on an older boat, but its not exactly a super easy 2 min procedure (like a test drive). I feel like I'd be slightly annoyed at that, especially if there were multiple people pulling my spark plugs out and jamming their compression check gauges into my boat. I also wouldn't want to have to do that multiple times FOR multiple people.

That aside, I agree with your points. It really depends on how old the boat is. Different ages require different levels of inspection.

If I was selling my 2001 SAN and someone was demanding to do a compression check I would sure as s*** make sure this wasn't a tire kicker. If the person who bought my Ski Nautique had asked, I would have obliged.

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
I guess my post is more along the lines of stuff to look for once you decide on a boat. May not have been what Kevin was looking for.

Erik, nice article. Yea, you prolly wont' get very far getting a compression check right off the bat. I would however insist on a check if the boat hasn't been used regularly or if there were any engine issues at all.

Kevin, we don't have too many details on what you want. Are you looking yet? do you have a budget in mind? there are a few models that make perfect towboats when setup right. (cc 2001, MC ps205)leaning toward anything at this point?
Old     (bigred03)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the advice so far. I plan on checking out a 2000 Tige 2100V this weekend. It will be on the trailer, so I figured I'd look it over there and then have him put it in the water for a test drive.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-25-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Not to start a big thing. But - a 2000 era Tige? Really? What is your price range? I hate to sound smarmy asking you that as if I am a Best Buy employee trying to see what plasma tv I can saddle you with - but based on your price range we may be able to offer some advice that could put you in a more boat for the same amount of money.

There is also a chart:

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2006/06/budget_wake_boat_breakdown_gra.html

Old     (jwharan)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-25-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
If they wanted a compression check, I would say sign a contract and give me a deposit, pending a successful compression check, and whatever else needed to be tested/reviewed.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-25-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
I like James' plan. A lot. It is a good approach.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Not to resurect past trainwreck posts....

Didn't Tige Use wood in that Era??? I'd pass.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-25-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have never felt strongly about Tige... but I can say with confidence that the 1999-2001 timeframe was a bad one for the Mercruiser powered Tige boats. particularly the wakeboard models, and particularly the 21 foot Vdrives. Original poster, please come back to the thread and give us more info so we can give you more guidance. We want to know things like:

- will it see wakeboarding use exclusively?
- what is your price range?
- what is your willingness level to travel to get a boat?
- are you going to hang on to the boat for a while?
- are you mechanically inclined?

These things are important to know before any of us can offer solid advice. 20-25k can put you in an early Wakesetter, various Maristars, X-stars, Sport Nautiques, Super Sport Nautiques and Supras.

Old     (bigred03)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Sorry for the absence. I would like to spend under $20,000. I'd be willing to travel ~3 hours to pick up a boat. The boat will be used for wakeboarding mostly, but also for waterskiing, hanging out, etc. I plan on having it for a while...at least 3 years I guess. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined....hope that helps.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
I don't understand the concerns associated with a compression test. This is a simple 45 minute exercise that certainly doesn't compromise the engine. You don't even have to start the motor, disengage the ignition and run the test on all 8 cylinders. When spending this kind of money, I would expect the owner to let me do a compression test.