Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    geet            06-05-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
I may be some kind of freak but when I board and fall a lot and water goes up my nose I get totally stuffy and plugged up for a couple of days. It happens all the time, any solutions?
Old     (skurfer666)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-05-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
Those nose plug things swimmers use.
Old    peterose5            06-05-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
That happens to me too. I notice that when I blow my nose, nothing really comes out. It's like my nasal tunnels just seal off for some reason.
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-05-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
I am exactly the same way! When I get home from a day of boarding I can't breath for about two days...but there IS NO WAY that I am going to use nose plugs! Do remember that episode of Seinfeld where the guy was hitting on Elain with tissue stuck up his nose? I'm not going to be that guy!
I use nasal spray when I get home from the water.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            06-05-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
that happens to my husband BAD! he too uses some sort of doctor prescribed nasal spray. one time his were so bad, underneath his eye, right by his nose, puffed up like he had gotten punched. it was FULL of water from the lake! it looked HORRIBLE!

sometimes I feel stuffy after some particularly bad crashes that nite..but nothing like him. He can't even breathe.. I guess like Ryan said your nasal tunnels are blocked and holding the H2O in??

good luck, I know how bad you must feel! (now he SNORES even louder!!!)
Old    slob180            06-05-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Below are some links that describe nasal washing/irrigation. It is a way to clean allergens and irritants from your nose and sinuses to help relieve congestion and swelling. This may help if you are getting irritants from the water and/or air in your nose. I have tried it and it really makes my nose fell really clean and open. Give it a shot it doesn't hurt to try it.

www.drsclinic.com/Nasal%20Wash%20Treatment.htm
www.entcenter.net/i_a_3ae.htm
http://allergies.about.com/cs/treatment/a/aa040802a.htm

Chris
Old    geet            06-05-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
I was thinking that a lake is like a giant sponge that collects a lot of pollen and allergens. Thanks for the nasal irrigation info. I hate using allergy medicine but I have been miserable for 2 days now after boarding on Thursday.
Old    tjgramlich            06-05-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
You can't breath because your nasal tissue gets swollen. Affrin helps like instantly really really well, but I heard its not good to use it too much.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
Wow. I run into that problem somewhat frequently. It really sucks, it's frustraing as heck too. I can't even tell ya! I guess it's time I pickup smoe nasal spray.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
i used to get like that too and i ride year round and find the warmer the water gets the worse it is..i imagine it is the pollen and crud in the water..however of late i think i go it whooped by taking allergy pills,the OTC stuff,like daytime TavistD or equivalent before i leave to the lake .seem to get a jump on it.Not full proof buit it helped a lot..
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-05-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
See your doctor about getting a nasal steroid like Flonas or nasocort AQ, you're obviously reacting in an allergic fashion to something in your lake.