Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
I'm in the process of installing a pair of Wet Sounds Pro 485s. The collars that attach to the tower and speakers use M8 stainless socket head cap screws. I wanted to replace these with a security head screw. I was not able to find and off the shelf/internet screw that was stainless, metric and had a security head in a socket cap. I had the machine shop that I use add a center pin to the readily available stainless socket cap screws. I know that if somebody wants the speakers they will eventually get them, but at least it may take them a couple tries. Here's a picture of what the security bolts look like:
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
very good call on that one....have there been very many people on the board who have lost tower speakers to theft? There was a thread the other day with a boat with 12 different wetsounds speakers on the tower so there must have been 5000 worth of speakers alone up there.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Ahh..what was your address?? lol.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
I believe Wetsounds has a quick relese clamp now don't they? No worries when the are not on the tower to get stolen?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
I have had a threesome stolen
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-31-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
How did they add the security part? Did they make the bolts from scratch?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

Drill stock bolts and press in a pin. The red stuff is Locktight
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-31-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
I've done this in the past, I start with vented bolts from McMaster and then install the pin from there, saves all the machinging and setup, all you need is the right size pin and an arbor press

See the middle of the page here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3102/=6gr3ig
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawshogg View Post
I believe Wetsounds has a quick relese clamp now don't they? No worries when the are not on the tower to get stolen?
There are four cap head socket screws that need to come out to get each Pro 485 down. To be as safe as possible pulling the speakers down is the best bet.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 11:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
I've done this in the past, I start with vented bolts from McMaster and then install the pin from there, saves all the machinging and setup, all you need is the right size pin and an arbor press

See the middle of the page here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3102/=6gr3ig
That's a great way to do it. I didn't even know there were vented cap heads available off the shelf. McMaster Carr didn't have any metric sizes listed though.

Last edited by rgardjr; 03-31-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Thought I found a source for the vented cap screws but I was wrong
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2010, 11:27 PM Reply   
Bryce can make you some custom lockbolts: http://www.brycefastener.com/
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2010, 11:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
Bryce can make you some custom lockbolts: http://www.brycefastener.com/
This looks promising. Doesn't look like the deal directly with individuals but smaller quantities are available through McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3099/=6gt9as

They list both an M8x25 and and M8x30 in a button head in packs of 10. I used 8 of each.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr View Post
This looks promising. Doesn't look like the deal directly with individuals but smaller quantities are available through McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3099/=6gt9as

They list both an M8x25 and and M8x30 in a button head in packs of 10. I used 8 of each.
It wouldn't let me edit my previous post for some reason, but I was again mistaken. The button head screws listed the link for McMaster Carr are not the security type. They just happen to be on the same page.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
To me taking the speakers down every time we put the boat up is just way to much trouble. Next thing is you forget to bring them back with you the next time you go out so no tunes or you damage them while in transit. A much cheaper way of protecting them is to just drill out the heads once they're in place. Granted you need to make sure they're tight etc before you do so but once that's done no one is going to get them off in the time most thieves want to spend.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Those bolts work for the honest thief. A flat head screwdriver will take care of that pin in one second flat. I have those type of locks on some of my network cabinets. If you forget the "special" allen wrench, one little twist with a screwdriver and you're in.

But like I said, most crooks wouldn't know to do that and would move on to an easier target. I have yet to get some speakers, but when I do, they will be removable until I get a garage this damn boat will fit in!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
What about torx head as a more "off the shelf" solution? Or are thieves onto torx and are carrying torx head sockets in their bag of tricks?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
I deal with Bryce a fair amount in my solar business for locking PV panel mounting bolts. He will do semi-custom keyed bolts in small quantities, give them a call.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-08-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I was looking for some of these security bolts last summer when I picked up some tower speakers. I believe I called Bryce and they said they don't deal to the general public. I called everywhere I could find on the internet with no luck.