Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-27-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Two Thursdays (19th) ago, I got 5 stitches just below my kneecap. It seems to be healing fine, no infection, no bleeding, no pain, full movement of my leg, etc.

I'm going to the lake this weekend and can't just sit on a sacked out SAN with my friends and not ride. That's such a teaser and would probably make me cry. Anyways, I'm supposed to get the stitches out 12 days from the 19th. It's been 8. Am I cool to ride?
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       03-27-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
I would'nt do it! I work here in the hospital and we see guys go to our local lake "Table Rock Lake" after they had stitches for awhile and come back with infections. And our lake is really clean!!! But thats just from what I have seen. I would'nt take the chance being so close to the season starting up. It might take some more of your time off the board if you do.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
wouldnt do it either.. if for some reason some water seeps in the wound or u tear the stiches you could get an infection to where they will have to reopen the wound scrap and scrub it which will hurt really bad and then start all over again with the healing process with anti-biotics and so fourth.. oh ya im a fire fighter and emt so i know a little
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-27-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
dont listen to these fools torrey.... Go shred. If your that worried about it wrap it with some plastic wrap with duct tape or sports tape. Everytime I have had stitches they came out after 10 days and I was in the water before then with no problem
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
YEAH MAN, WHAT JASON SAID.
wrap it up, tape, whatever, even a good cloth bandage, and just clean it off after. no biggie. you've been showering, haven't you? same idea'r.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-27-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Go get some waterproof bandages, buy multiple kinds and sizes and try them out beforehand to see which one works best for the location of your stitches. Try and test it out good. Then carry Rubbing alcohol and peroxide with you and flush it out immediately after removing the bandage, and always check the bandage to make sure it is sealed. I wouldn't recommend it, but have done it, and there are bandages out there that will get the job done.
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       03-27-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Have fun with that.. Its not my knee to worry about. I guess some people have better immune systems than others. Im also a Firefighter and EMT. I dont have a clue in what I'm talking about. We never see this around here. LOL.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-27-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
On second thought, wait 4 days
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
I would not chance it to get an infection then have to have your leg cut off because of it.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Naa man... i had stitches lower for arm... yeah it got infected... the scar is sweet but at the time it was so gnarly.... IMO dont do it...
Old     (wakemman910)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-27-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
id wait atleast a week had some in my chin last summer
Old     (the_muscle)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Last year I had stitches in my chin (kneed myself in the face, lol)...anyway doc told me to stay out of the water for a week for risk of infection. I waited only about 3 days, went back out and just cleaned it really well and kept neosporin (sp?) on it after i got out of the water.

There is always risk for infection, but if the cut only took 5 stitches it prolly isn't that big anyway. I say you could ride, just take stuff to clean it off after...and keep it wrapped as best you can.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       03-27-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
bag it up nice and tight and you'll be good man. make sure it doesn't get wet! garbage bag and duct tape. hurts like a bitch taking the tape off but probably worth it.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-27-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Oh come on.. Once you end up with a real injury that puts you out for months at a time, you'll see how dumb this is. It's FOUR days, I'd rather wait four days than risk infection and be out for four weeks because you couldn't wait.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
ehh. its kind off a wash. i think if you want to ride. then just ride around. dont try anythign crazy. if you have a semi hard fall you could hit the water wrong and rip it open. id just ride at like 18 and cut around.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       03-27-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
nick, i've been out with acl tear/repair, fractured tibial plateau, broken wrist, and ruptured/repaired achilles. if it was me, i'd still put a bag on it. you know why? because i know its minor and with that ounce of prevention it'll be just fine. ok, just had to remind myself where his stitches were. i'd say if he can fully bend his knee without the stitches seeming too stressed, bag it up and give'r.