Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-13-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
AZ raised its fees by almost 200% $99 - $274. So I'll probably register it in CA. DMV gets $10 a year but how much do you pay for prop. taxes on your vessel. I'm in L.A. County.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-13-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
370 here in central cali.....
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
The rate is probably 1% of the boat's value (purchase price less a depreciation factor).
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-13-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
I'm in Santa Clara county and just looked into this and made all the phone calls to find out what to expect.I bought my boat in august of 2005. The person I talked to at the county office told me I should expect my bill in july of 2006 for the amount of approx.$400 The out the door price on my boat was $34,300. I asked my tax guy if this was deductable and he said absolutely and it is considered a property tax.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
Rob, you are correct on property tax for your boat. A lot of people over look that and also DMV fees on their returns.
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-14-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thats why people need more than one boat, more tax deductions
Old    surfdad            03-14-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
The January 1 value is multiplied by the tax rate (usually 1% plus voter approved indebtedness in the county). The current year unsecured tax rate is the prior year secured (real estate) rate in LA County, I do believe.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
Last year I send my AZ registration fee a few weeks before the increase took effect. I have been thinking about registering in CA, but not only will I have to pay a 1% property tax, I would most likely pay a CA sales tax too. I know I paid a sales tax when I registered my trailer in CA. Another option I'm considering is to use a friend’s AZ address. I think using a friend’s address is my best bet. Any CA residents using an AZ address?
Old    surfdad            03-15-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
Senate Bill 1100 included in the '04-05 budget replaced the 90 day test with a 12 month test...so, buy a boat outside CA and bring it into CA during that 12 months and it's subject to a Use Tax (equivalent to the Sales Tax Eric referes to above). That provision lapses on 6/30/06...it might go back to the 90 day test, or not. My guess is NOT as it brings more money to CA. Probably not worth it for a single 40K boat, but there are Use tax exemptions for transfers involving Corp's, LLC and Revocable Trusts. There are a number of sites, online, that address this when buying an aircraft...a legitimate way to avoid taxation, without misrepresenting the situs of the vessel.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-15-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
My boat has been registered in AZ for the last 2 years so I wont be paying sales/use tax. I wonder how they will value my boat though since there is no value on my previous registration. Hopefully it will be whatever I tell them, wishfull thinking.