Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
I just noticed a drip comming out of my exhaust manifold risers on my '94 nautique this morning. There seems to be a crack along the bottom. I drain and leave the plugs out every winter, but I guess it happens... Has anyone else had this problem. Can they be welded or should I just replace it. Any tips or advice?
Thanks
B
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-21-2004, 10:13 AM Reply   
They tend to corrode from the inside out if you touch it with a welder its likley to run and leave you with a big hole. I'd be inclinded to leave it alone if its only a drip.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-21-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Just replace it. Temporary patch can be JB Weld. Take the paint off and rough up the surface before applying the JB. They cannot be welded in the area you are speaking of. The flange will warp.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think I'll call the dealer and get a new one shipped, but continue to use it in the mean time.
B
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
when you say there's a crack along the bottom, is it possible they just need to be tightened down? they do wear out over time, 5 years in salt water. can you see the crack? that's the thick part of the riser, strange place for a crack. they usually warp there when the engine is overheated.

i'd get some new gaskets and take the manifold off to take a look. if they're all gunked up inside or there is a crack, time for new ones. if not, i'd tighten them back down with the new gasket and see what happens.

don't run too long like that, water can get into your engine from the exhuast that way.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
I'm not exactly sure where on the manifold you're getting the drip, but I had a similar problem on my '79 Ski Nautique and my dealer recommended Marine Tex to seal it up. Worked like a charm.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Thanks again guys. It's on the bottom of the manifold itself (not actually the riser... sorry. But not at the gasket from what I can tell. If you dry the water off, you can see the water reform along the bottom of the manifold from what looks like a hairline crack about 20cm long (um... i mean 8 inches!!! Darn metric system!).
B