Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (gvanorde)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2003, 10:49 PM Reply   
I am going to restore my teak swim platform. Has anyone used Sikkens instead of Teak Oil? My dealer recommends it. Would like to hear from someone who has actually used it and has seen how it holds up over time...}
Old    dukekati            08-26-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
Hey Gary I used sikkens cetol on a new platform around the end of june / early july and it is getting ready for another treatment now. Because it was a new platform I did't sand it. The platform sits in the sun all day everyday. On the whole I'm pretty happy with the stuff. I think it lasts longer than oil but just my 2 cents, I haven't used oil. I searched on malibuboats.com and found some helpful info. I was concerned that because the cetol is more like a varathane than oil it may get slippery but that was not the case. One word of caution, it went on easy with a sponge brush but now any places I double covered are showing compared the single coat spots so my advise is to be careful and apply it as evenly as possible. It looked great when I did it and now 2 months later it needs another coat. In my opinion thats not bad; I don't want to be applying oil every week - I'd rather ride than refinish. Hope this helps Dave
Old    hippie            08-26-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
Good stuff.If you follow the directions on the can its pretty durable.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Gary,
I used the cetol and so far it is awesome. I only did the top and sides. My platform was gray and nasty so I sanded it all down to get to the good wood. I applied 3-4 coats of it and between each coat I scuffed it up just a little bit with a brown scotch-brite pad.

Here is what it looked like in the beginning on the bottom. The top was the same I just didn't get a picture of it.

before

Here is a picture during sanding.

sanding

Here is the finished product.

finish1

finished2
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Side note:
I used like a 2"-3" brush and just brushed it on all over the place nice and even in long straight sweeps the length of the platform. Do this fairly fast because once it starts drying in one area and you go over it again it is like doubling up like Dave said above. I did mine at night when it was cooler outside.
Old    dukekati            08-26-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Nice job Wake, does the platform get slippery with multiple coats? Is that the regular cetol or the light? I'm guessing regular due to the rich finish. Again, great job Dave
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
close up
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave. I believe it is regular...I can look at my can if you want and let you know, problem is I won't be back home until Friday. If you want to know exactly what I used let me know. It is a little bit slippery I guess. I have never had anyone slip on it though or complain about it at all..............
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
That looks great. Nice work !!!
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
After looking at all the different sikken's cetol on the web, I need to see the can of the one I used to let anyone know for sure.
Old     (gvanorde)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-26-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. This will be this weekends project. I think I will try the sikkens cetol. Nice job wake_fun! That platform looks great!
Old     (gvanorde)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-26-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
One more question...do wakeboard fins scratch or scuff the finish easily???
Old    jmccallum            08-27-2003, 5:41 AM Reply   
Is that a special Sikkens product for teak swim decks?

Up here we don't really like the Deck product because it's is more like a varathane than oil. It looks great for a couple of years but when it fails it cracks like cheap varnish and you get black mildew underneath. Then you have to strip and sand back down to bare wood!

I guess oil must be more regular work, but isn't it just wipe on once a month or so?

I don't have a lot of experience here ... more asking than telling.

cheers,

Old    aka Bradley Beach            08-27-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
I also use sickens on my teak deck and I only have to sand and reapply once a year and it looks great all season! Teak oil you must apply once every few weeks to keep it looking nice. I highly recommend the sickens!

Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
Gary,
We make sure that the fins are off the edge of the wood, so I don't ever deal with the aluminum fins digging into the teak.

James,
I applied it back in May and it still looks the same. I was told to lightly scuff it up at the end of the season and reapply one coat. I don't think I will need to do that though but you can like Bradley Beach said above. Remember though that I have like four coats to begin with and you have to wait 24 hours between each coat. It took me almost a week to do mine.

I emailed my friend that does wood work to find out which cetol I used. When I find out I will post it.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
This is what I used:

Cetol Marine Satin Finish - Quart

West Marine part# 539106

Sikkens part# IVA300 QT

Do a part search at www.westmarine.com and you will see it.