Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Just left the doc. He said that a diagnostic scope had to be done in order to tell exactly what was wrong. I did have a MRI but apparently they couldn't tell much...which kinda concerns me. He said that they are not positive of ACL damage but something is "blocking" my knee from extending all the way. I can put ALL of my weight on my knee as well as move it side to side with that pressure. Nothing is really consistent with an ACL injury. He even did all of the "excercises" that they do to see if it is an ACL tear. I showed great strength in all of those excercises. So, he is going to go in and repair what is needed (pretty certain about the lateral meniscus) during that one surgery. If there is also ACL damage he will do a reconstruct using the hamstrings. I am just praying that I did not tear the acl. I'm just concern that he doesnt know yet....before going in?? Should I be!!! I am extremely nervous!! Thanx!
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
get a 2nd opinion, a 3rd and a 4th!!! dont let anyone open you up, unless you are positive of everything that needs to be fixed!!!
Old     (ispair)      Join Date: May 2006       09-25-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus on June 4th this year. Atleast you didn't miss out on a whole season. I do feel your pain though.

You definitely want to get an MRI. Your doctor should have ordered that for you.

My ACL tear showed up pretty visibly through the MRI, but he didn't find the meniscus tear until he was inside my knee.

Good luck.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
I agree with Kal . . . it seems a little strange that he's not sure after the MRI. I would want a more concrete idea of what they were going to do before cutting me open. I'm on my second ACL surgery and I've had 3 MRI over the past two years . . . my doctor has never stated that he couldn't tell from the MRI -- they were all very clear. Maybe the MRI just needs to be repeated.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
I would not recommend using the hamstring for the repair. They robbed a piece from my hamstring without telling me and it hasn't been the same since. Definitely go with a cadaver (sp?). Is the doc going to scope it out first or open up and then dig in?
Old    captainbluecrew            09-25-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
In my experience, an experienced doctor can tell you if the ACL is torn in about 30 seconds or less. I would definitely want another opinion. He may be just covering his bases. The MRI may not show a complete tear, but there may still be a partial tear that doesn't show up.

I've had a piece of torn meniscus lodge in the joint before and prevent my knee from straightening, when all else seemed normal. I had it scoped to remove the offending matierial along with a bunch of other shrapnel.

Sounds like you need a little work but that the ACL isn't torn all the way, if at all. The scope, that you need anyway will tell for sure.

I would still want another opinion, but I know that can cost $$$, the diagnosis doesn't really sound too far off. MRI's can be pretty inaccurate and not show exactly what they are looking for. The nickel size piece of extra meniscus that they removed didn't show on mine, but the completely torn ACL from a different injury showed up clearly. The doc only did the MRI in that case to confirm what he already know from the 30 second examination.

My doctor has done a LOT of ACL's and is convinced the patella is a better replacement, he claims it stays tighter longer. He only recommends cadaver if recovery time is the chief concern, like a pro athlete. You will find a lot of varying opinions on this topic.

(Message edited by Captainbluecrew on September 25, 2007)
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
If you can't extend your knee you have a bucket handle tear of your meniscus. And, yes there is a simple test called a Lachman that every good therapist athletic trainer and especially an ortho can do to tell you if it is torn. Also if he scopes it and finds that it is torn, then like you said you are gonna have to schedule another surgery for him to open it up and fix it. Sounds like a money thing to me. Get another opinion. A good Dr. would know if it was torn before surgery and if so he would do it all at the same time. but if you wanna help buy this guys next sports car or lake house then get on the table twice brother.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
Yup, Justin hit the nail on the head. Pretty simple test for most good orthopedics to discover whether its torn. Typically the MRI is the supporting evidence they use to go ahead with the surgery. And yes, if they are gonna open you up to look, they might as well be prepared to fix what is there at the same time. Call around to the local and semi-pro, pro teams, college programs, etc.. Anywhere where there is a high level of athleticism should give you a good reference to the right ortho.
Old     (ispair)      Join Date: May 2006       09-25-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Like Peter said, you will find A LOT of varying opinions on what surgery to have. My surgery was a hamstring and is very popular in my area. If you do any type of work on your knees you'll want to avoid the patella surgery. Cadaver ligament is primarily for quick recovery, usually not a recommended repair.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
its funny they seem to run test that are always "inconclusive" and need to run more.... do i sense an insurance scam??
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
You got it. I work in this field and I see it all the time. Dr's started getting paid less from insurance companies for their services so they just find a way to bill them over and over.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
He knows I have a meniscus tear but unsure about the acl. He said that it will be fixed with a scope. He said that in one of the MRI pics, it kinda looks "slightly torn". But, in the other two he can't tell much. None of the pushing and pulling exercises that he did were consistent with an acl tear. i can put ALL of my weight on one foot and move my knee laterally and back and forth.
Justin Ward...that's exactly what I was thinking! He mentioned that too.
He's only gonna scope it to find out whats wrong and repair everything (if needed) in that one surgery. I'm gonna tell him not to touch the acl unless he absolutely has to. But if you ask me, there's NO WAY it can be the ACL! Thanks for your replies!
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
I just called today and scheduled a second opinion...feel much better now. Thanks!!!