Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (malibuxlv)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-25-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys i am looking into buying a new wakeboard but i honestly have no idea where to even start...First off, i am around 5' 8'' weighing around 150 and id say i am a pretty aggressive rider. I really progressed this year with the purchase of a wakeboard boat. I can go wake to wake very easily and consistently throw heel side backroll's. I am looking to replace my CWB board (not sure the model) because i feel as if it may be a little to big for my size and i am tired of the uncomfortable boots. I dont think my feet are growing anymore so would you guys recommend some "snowboard" like boots? Any suggestions on the type of board to get? preferably the budget is under $400 if that is possible. Point me in the right direction please. Thanks for any help!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-25-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-a-w...ize-chart.aspx
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-26-2011, 5:21 AM Reply   
All the Decent Boards are at least 400.00.Most of the Decent bindings[closed toe]are at least 300.00.You could try EVO.COM above and go to the outlet section.At your height and weight i would recommend a 138 to 140cm board with a continuous rocker.Good Luck!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-26-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
All decent boards RETAIL for $400. You can def find a sweet setup(board and boots) for $400. I just bought a 2011 Liquid Force Harley for $200 (seshday.com) so there is definitely deals to be had. I am sure others will chime in and point you to plenty of deals.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-26-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Also eve has 20 percent off outlet right now. With code superbig can find I nice set up in ur range.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-26-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
shane
Old     (malibuxlv)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-27-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Just did a little bit of browsing on the evo website and this particular setup caught my eye. Its a Byerly Assault wakeboard with the Byerly Pro bindings. What do you guys think? Is 135cm to small? And do wakeboard binding size usually follow normal shoe sizes?

Link: http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/by...ings-2010.aspx
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-27-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Nice setup, but too much money for something that old. You should look at some used stuff once you get an idea from the Evo site of what kind of board you might want. At your weight, 135 is the perfect size. Binding size runs differently for each brand. I thought Evo had a shoe size chart, but I can't find it. Look around the site for it, and if it isn't there, just call Evo or Byerly and ask them how the sizing runs.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-27-2011, 9:34 PM Reply   
before you buy a board you should at least demo it to see if you like it. i would wait untill this summer when the board companys have demos with there new stuff and just buy there last years model(or later) unless they changed it. for size,i think that with your weight you can use any size except for boards that are 130 or so. In my opinion sizing is more preference, cuz i weight 120 and rode the 55 byerly blunt and i could land everything just fine. i think lighter people can go up to any size and heavier people can only ride bigger boads because the board will get squirrely on them if its too narrow. idk though just my opinion. On evo it should give you the spec and what size and ride weight.

for the bindings i tried on hyperlites new system bindings and i have to say they are pretty comfortable and probably closest to snowboarding.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-27-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
x1000 on the demo suggestion! I never buy a board I haven't ridden. Now is actually a great time to buy older boards because the 2012 stuff just came out. No need to wait until summer. Size is actually fairly important...

smaller boards:
-change direction quicker (this can be good for an advanced rider but scary for a beginner)
-are lighter (this is an advantage, but not very noticeable)
-land harder (this can put more strain on your knees)

larger boards:
-respond more sluggishly (this can be frustrating for an advanced rider but reassuring for a beginner)
-are heavier (again, you generally won't notice the difference while you're riding)
-land softer (spreading out the shock of a landing over a wider surface area transfers less force to your joints)

If you ride a board that isn't big enough to properly float your weight, the board will ride lower in the water than it's designed to. If you ride a board that's too big for your weight, it will tend to ride higher in the water than it's supposed to. Both of these situations are less than ideal because board companies design boards to ride at a specific depth range that makes their shapes most effective. Most boards come in a small size (usually 133-136), a medium size (137-140) and a big size (141+). A 135 cm board is the right size for someone who weighs 150 lbs. You could get away with riding the next size up, but I wouldn't if I were you.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-28-2011, 6:22 AM Reply   
Right now seshday.com has a few liquid force boards 50% off. Follow the link below to sign up so you can purchase it.

There are only 2 Harley's at the moment... maybe one if i can talk the wife into letting me buy a new board!

http://www.seshday.com/invite/?r=8239
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2011, 6:47 AM Reply   
not to hijack, but i can set you up with a 2011 Watson Hybrid, and Watson LTD bindings if you can fit in a 9-10, for a good price. i need to sell them ASAP..