Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
I was just pondering why CWB seems to be the only company that does not put more than one bolt on every fin for every board. ( some exceptions being the vibe and kink)
most of the CWB boards use the center bolt with the two nubs that go into two shallow holes on the underside of the board.

some (possible) reasons i thought of:
quicker to bolt/unbolt
"cleaner" look
if a fin catches on a slider real bad it can break off easier with less damage to the board?

for the cons, it seems it would be less secure and require re-checking of tightness often... but this is going of experiences with my first couple of boards when nearly all boards were this way. i bet things are more precise now. but back then i also had not discovered lock-tight yet
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-15-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
CWB wants you to quit being a baby and take the fins off forever.....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Ha, ha, Sam.... Some of the boards are great finless (like the ones that have molded fins and just get extensions or those with a center and outside molded fins), but others like the Faction are super loose without fins.

Jeremy, a lot of boards used to use the same system. All of the old HL boards. I've never had any issues. I'm on a board with fins this year for the first time since 2001, and havn't had any problems with the fins coming loose or shifting. When I get new boards I usually ride them once and check everything, then repeat this procedure for at least one more ride. After that I can usually go all year without checking bindings or fins.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
I think Sam is correct. Back when I used to ride the Faction, I never once checked them and never had them loosen. Its not like a flex board where it will work itself loose.

I'd say the slider argument is pretty legit. I saw a Recoil that was broke in half right where the fins are. Granted the guy was riding his SS with fins at the cable. Better to lose a fin than a board I guess.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-15-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
I had a faction as my first board. That thing came with a monster 3.5" center fin. The board would not even touch the swim deck when sat down. It would teeter between the fins. I yanked them off after not being able to switch. Rode the board with the molded in .5" outside fins. Have never rode with fins again. I now ride the CWB Vibe with no fins.

Moral is, take the fins off and learn how to edge correctly. Fins are a crutch
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I've never had a fin come loose on any board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
BTW...Fins are used by nearly EVERY pro rider. It's preference.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-15-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
i have never ridden a board with fins, as soon as i get it i take the fins out, i hate having that locked in feel, i ride a cwb vibe at cable with no fins and its a blast perfect for pressing!

and i used to ride a 2010 witness behind boat but recently changed to a lyman, its the best board EVER! but the have 4 removeable fins, even though they are really small they make a huge difference

BOOM