Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
So your pumped ready to go and do some riding at your favorite spot and you pull up to the lake to see a big sign that says "NO WAKEBOARDING", "NO EXTRA BALLAST", etc..... Not a very uncommon scenario anymore, is it? Things like this are popping up in the last places we would think of, OUR HOME RIDING SPOTS. What would you do if you could not wakeboard anymore? More and more I hear comments like "It's my right to take the best water on the lake because I want it smooth, F the 3 fisherman sitting in MY line." or "I can play my tower speakers as loud as I want and what ever music of my choice". My point is a few can ruin it for many. Most of you have the common sense it takes to be respectful and make your trip to the lake a conflict free day. Even the simple fisherman throwing up his hands is enough to make me wonder if I got to close or is he just expecting a perfect day on the water. We need to start a wakeboarding guide line list. Some of you reading this will just blow it off and not care and say "I'll do what I want and nobody will tell me what to do." But it is not to far off that wakeboarding will be banned and a lot of people that live on the lakes will be happy it is. For no wakeboarding = no tower speakers, no shore erosion, and no pissing off fisherman. There will always be fishing and hunting but wakeboarding may not survive to say the same.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-24-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
If wakeboarding was banned maybe I wouldn't be so poor!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Its more of a personality thing than a guideline thing. People need to learn respect and the ability to deal with others...both are a serious problem with the younger generations. The sense of entitlement and general lack of socializing the newer generations has (due to the internet) has lent to the problem you are talking about Nick. Realistically if someone is cordial to someone else and shows a little respect it goes a long ways.

Examples:

If you were riding a spot first and a fisherman set up shop right in your area and started throwing his arms up at you or making obvious gestures showing his displeasure you have a few options: Either say screw him and go about your merry way continually riding your line, try talking to him respectfully, or elevate the situation by "gesturing back". For the betterment of the sport simply talking to the guy is the best option...even if he is unwilling to compromise. A lot of these old timers simply are looking for some respect, an act demonstrating this can really help...and you never know who that fisherman may be and the power he may hold over the lakes policies about boating.

Stereo: The is no need to go blasting profanity laced music at 8am on a quite lake surrounded by homes. Now if its midday, in a secluded cove, then I don't see a problem. Again this is a generational issue and respect issue. Many people will say "well you shouldnt have bought a house on a lake" or "what your kids hear isnt my problem". The reality is those home owners likely carry FAR more influential power over your waterway's regulations than you do...AND just about anyone if angered enough will make it personal and work hard enough to ruin someone else's freedoms.

Again, simply being aware of not only other people but the power they possess over our sport is huge...AND communicating this to others in a constructive manner is as well. Something as simple as $10 in fliers stuck under the windshield wiper on every two vehicle in the parking lot informing them of the complaints and asking for some respect could go a long way...especially if someone with substantial power receives a flier and takes note that someone is trying to keep things respectful and balanced.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
I seem to be really bothered by the attitudes that some of these WW's think they can do what they want without any negative repercussions. To me if feels like they, in the future, are going to be taking away something from me personally.
Old     (lowend)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2009, 1:18 AM Reply   
It absolutely is about respect.
In the examples above, if I was riding a spot first (which is ussually the case when you drop the boat in at 6a.m) and a fisherman turned up and began complaining, I would go and have a chat to him, I would not be rude, but I would be assertive. I was there fist and I'm not sorry about it.
And as for loud stereos, well it again is a respect thing. Pretty much all I listen to is heavy metal so I have to be very selective about what I crank out at what time lol.

So yeah it is a combination of respect and common sense I think. There are people who board with terrible attitudes, but there are also fisherman and skiiers with terrible attitudes.

Wakeboarding will never be banned I can guaruntee that.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-26-2009, 5:57 AM Reply   
I see a total ban on tower speakers in the near future.When people start putting 6 pairs of Wetsounds speakers on their tower or 6 subs in their boat,it's easy to see that happening.They've already made laws against loud stereos in cars,boats will be next.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on April 26, 2009)
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-26-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
Its not wakeboarding kids that are responsible,its human nature.I have been disrespected more times by old fisherman than most people have had hot meals and I had to set a standard at which to deal with it.
I have also had problems with jetskiers,skiers,tubers pretty much every person on the lake.
I have also forced fisherman out of there spots but only after years of them disrespecting me.It may sound vindictive but thats human nature,kill or be killed.That is the rule on our lake because there are no rules.You don't have to have a permit or any kind of training or edjucation to own and operate a boat.Its called anarchy and it detracts from the fun and safety of our lake.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-26-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Brock, you dont need a liscence to operate a boat on your lake? There is also no "j" in education, just want to point out the irony there, not trying to rag on you or anything.
There are enough wakeboarders on my local lake to minimize any conflict (strength in numbers?), but the fishermen rarely come to the part of the lake that we are on anyway. I think familiarity with other people using your lake can really help to keep everyone respectful, whether it be use of space, or the volume of your music.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-26-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Well as long as were spell checking Liscence is spelled license.
Old     (lowend)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
I probably should have seen that coming. But do you not need a small craft operator's permit on your lake?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-27-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Nope,any joe can buy a boat and endanger your life with it.Its crazy how many people own boats and know nothing about operating them.Makes for a scary loading ramp too.
In general we ride during the week to avoid the ignorance but that is the same thing the fisherman do so we end up having most of our conflicts with them.
Nine times out of ten we can avoid them but every now and then we come across a real jerk that thinks we don't have a right to be on the lake.