Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-22-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I'm trying to decide on mounting locations for the 420. I would like it to be mounted in/under the dash with the face/knobs exposed and within easy reach. Have any on you found out how water resistant the unit is?
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-22-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
Don't you think this is better question for WS directly?
I recently installed one and had similar question, I was told it is not that water resistant...you really shoud not get it wet.
But as far as discovering exactly "how" water resistant it is, mine is still working so I can't tell you it's outer extremes. lol
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-22-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
I heard the same "Don't get the 420 wet". I try to keep it dry and not touch it with soaked hands. If it's going to rain, I'll usually drape a towel over the dash to cover it up. Better safe than sorry. I heard WS was working on a more water resistant 420, but haven't heard any updates about it...
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-22-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
I got mine splashed pretty good this past Sunday and my speakers popped and crackled for about 30 min total time. I shut off the stereo for the 30-45 min and was hoping the water/moisture that got in would dry...it did and it has worked fine.
Old    mojo            06-22-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
i've had mine for 2+ years and it's mounted directly under the remote on the dash of nautique and have 0 problems with it and it's seen rain.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Mine is mounted under the dash & has not seen any direct hits (that I know of). But when I pulled the boat out of winter storage back in February, when I would adjust anything on the 420, the stereo would pop & crackle for the first week or so.
It seems to have dried out & sounds fine for now.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-22-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
A.J.,
That's not a good thing, particularly while any electronics unit is powered up (marine or not).
Call me and I'll share a few techniques to resurrect the unit after direct exposure. If lt happens again, shut it down completely until you're confident it has dried out.
If you're getting a little crackle and pop try spraying tuner wash under pressure around the front controls. But if it gets soaked get to the interior as soon as possible.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-22-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
It was my fault. I was draining an extra ballast sac in the cabin with an external pump when a big wake from another boat hit my boat. The hose that was over the side of my boat flipped back into the cabin of my boat shooting a rather large stream of water onto the dash. Where Vic mounted the WS420 is fine and doesn't get wet otherwise from normal use or even rough conditions. It was my fault for not paying attention. All is good.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-22-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
The previous 420's that had the holes on top to adjust the outputs was where most of the 420's had their problem. They've done a good job keeping the knobs partially sealed. The current 420 will do a lot better then the previous ones, and the output adjustment holes are no longer on the top. What happened there is that water could come down, and run to the back, since most of the time it's mounted at an angle with the faceplate being higher. Water would roll down from the face to the back, and if the plugs had been removed and not reinstalled, it would drip into the unit.

:knockonwood: Mine has been mounted under the dash and the knobs/1/4"of the top are exposed. I got caught out in a frogstrangler the other day, but still managed to keep everything at the dash dry. You just have to treat all audio equipment like it will die if it gets wet.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
Brian, calling WS directly is just going to get me the "don't get it wet" line. Here I can find out if people have gotten it soaked, a little wet or just a little mist on it and whether or not is was fried or survived.

I'm not one to take a big risk, but I will probably mount it under the dash just far enough back where it is easily accessible. Thanks guys for your response.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-23-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
I just bought a 420 find it funny how many things in a boat do they say DONT GET IT WET!!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Reminds me of the old days skiing with a bunch of Sea World skiers on weekends. They always had a boom box and never installed stereos in the boat. I've been through many, many head units over the years, sometimes simplicity is the most artful installation.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       06-24-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
The previous 420's that had the holes on top to adjust the outputs was where most of the 420's had their problem. They've done a good job keeping the knobs partially sealed. The current 420 will do a lot better then the previous ones, and the output adjustment holes are no longer on the top. What happened there is that water could come down, and run to the back, since most of the time it's mounted at an angle with the faceplate being higher. Water would roll down from the face to the back, and if the plugs had been removed and not reinstalled, it would drip into the unit.

:knockonwood: Mine has been mounted under the dash and the knobs/1/4"of the top are exposed. I got caught out in a frogstrangler the other day, but still managed to keep everything at the dash dry. You just have to treat all audio equipment like it will die if it gets wet.

This is the best piece of advice.......I know it is not the answer you want to hear, but none of these electronic devices are water resistant. They are all going to fail with enough water splashed.