Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    ballnb            04-05-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Does any one know the law regarding cga and non cga life vests in Texas? if it is against the law,what is the fine?
Old    HunterHudd            04-05-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
$250 fine
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Buy a CGA vest. There are some out there that are comfortable and look cool, not to mention they are safer and they won't get you fined. Also, you need one if you want to ride at any of the cable parks
Old    ballnb            04-05-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason,what vest do you ride? are you a texas rider?!
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
I wish I could recommend a great vest, but I am looking for a new one also right now (or at least sometime this year). Yes, I am from Texas, and up until this year I rode with a Non-CGA vest because I thought CGAs were bulky and uncomfortable. Well, Wakesport Ranch opened up 15 minutes from my house so I decided to (without another option) try my old CGA vest out again. It really wasn't too bad, but I know there are more modern ones that are supposed to be real nice. I have heard great things about the Murray CGA from Jetpilot, I think Jetpilot has some other really nice CGAs, I've also heard O'neill has a nice CGA, and if you like side entries the CWB and Hyperlite side entries are pretty nice. If you want more opinions, search the forums here, there are a ton of threads talking about CGA vests
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHudd View Post
$250 fine
Can you show me where this is a law in Texas? Not being a d*ck; I would just honestly like to know if this really is the law (as I have never heard of this).

This site indicates that you are only required to wear a CGA vest if being towed behind a PWC.

As far as I know, you are not required to wear a vest of ANY kind when being towed behind a boat in Texas.

Last edited by scbrips; 04-05-2010 at 4:47 PM.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/course/p6-4_waterski.htm
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-05-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
It's actually in here
http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/course/p4-7_pfds.htm

I don't see why people need non-cga vests. Look into the oniel law and revenge.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Neither of those links show that a CGA vest is required to be towed behind a boat in Texas.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   

Before towing a skier, the operator should:

Make sure the skier is wearing a U.S. Coast Guard—approved life jacket (PFD) designed for water-skiing. Keep in mind that ski belts are not U.S. Coast Guard—approved. A PFD with a high-impact rating is recommended. Chapter 4 has the legal requirements for your state.

If you want the actual language of the law i think you need to look in somethinga little more legal than the boater handbook.... but the statement from the handbook looks like its enough to require a CGA....
Old    HunterHudd            04-05-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
I was only joking with Blake because he always wears my Helium or other CGA vests.

A couple years ago I took a boaters course from boat-ed.com and I remember reading about it being around a $250 fine, but I'm not sure.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
It is legal to ride in Texas without a floatation device, except on a few waterways that are governed by rules in addition to state law. Even if you ride without a vest you must still have a pfd for the rider in the boat (at least one per passenger).

Just because the law allows riding without a vest doesn't mean I am recommending that anyone does it but you asked about the law, not my opinion ;-)
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by calexan View Post

Before towing a skier, the operator should:

Make sure the skier is wearing a U.S. Coast Guard—approved life jacket (PFD) designed for water-skiing. Keep in mind that ski belts are not U.S. Coast Guard—approved. A PFD with a high-impact rating is recommended. Chapter 4 has the legal requirements for your state.

Yes, it does say that the operator SHOULD make sure the skier is wearing a CGA PFD. This is a recommendation.

It also says that the operator SHOULD "Make sure the tow lines are of the same length if towing multiple skiers." Clearly this is not a law and also a recommendation.

Dan is right, according to this (dated) document

Scroll down to page five, #9: "Skiers do not have to wear a Coast Guard-approved PFD (ski belts, for instance, are not approved by the Coast Guard), but there must be one in the boat for the skier."

As with Dan, I am not promoting riding without a vest. I am simply interested in what the law states.

Last edited by scbrips; 04-05-2010 at 8:37 PM.
Old     (lakeboyz)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2010, 12:48 AM Reply   
asking for an opinion since your talking vests..... i have CGA that i wore for 8 yrs, decided i wanted the cool looking Jet Pilot side entry blu white camo, incredibly comfortable felt like i had nothing on. Here the delema.....i feel like i work to hard in the water just to stay afloat, but im worried....if i got knocked out would that jacket a least keep me from sinking or am i a goner!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
The only places in Texas that I know for sure, you have to wear a CGA vest is any river or lake that the Brazos river authority controls.

I have a shop in Granbury and that is the law on any waterway under control of the BRA.
Old    ausbill32            04-06-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I live it the Austin Texas area and you are not required to wear a CGA but I do after taking a few bad spills and getting a concussion. I see guys ride without vests all time and popo never pulls them over.

This year, I bought the O'neill Law CGA vest for $135 bucks but took it back 4 days later after visiting Sams Club. After the O'neill return, I bought 3 BodyGlove CGA vests at Sams Club for $35 each which is basically the price of the one O'neill. I got different sizes for people on the boat. The BodyGlove vests at SamsClub are really comfy, thin, and allow good movement; I was shocked!!!. The BodyGlove design has tapered sides too unlike the O'neill where I looked like a big marshmellow. The last thing I like about the BodyGlove compared to the O'Neill is that I wear a medium with the Body glove and had to wear a large with O'Neill so the Body Glove is lighter and has lower back support. I weight 195 and I'm 6ft tall if that helps. I'll take a picture of the mens and girls vests tonight and post them for you. For $35 bucks man, they rock. I'm thinking about buying an extra one of my self and not let anyone use it... lol

Last edited by ausbill32; 04-06-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-06-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeboyz View Post
asking for an opinion since your talking vests..... i have CGA that i wore for 8 yrs, decided i wanted the cool looking Jet Pilot side entry blu white camo, incredibly comfortable felt like i had nothing on. Here the delema.....i feel like i work to hard in the water just to stay afloat, but im worried....if i got knocked out would that jacket a least keep me from sinking or am i a goner!
Most likely not going to keep you afloat. Easy way to find out is just completely stop moving while you're floating in the water. I had a non-CGA and did that to see what would happen if i were to get knocked out, i started sinkin. scared the crap outta me and I've ridden CGA vests ever since. CWB and JetPilot both make extremely comfortable CGA vests. i have the CWB Essential myself. SAME style/model as their Faction vest, its just CGA.
Old    HunterHudd            04-06-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, but shouldnt Blake get a cga if he is going to ride at Wakesport Ranch?