Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-24-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have been following stories like this for the past couple years about Burmese Pythons and it's pretty freaky. These things are primarily in the everglades, but they could very easily start being a nuisance through out Florida in time. Not to mention these things are aggressive. I would say that if Florida does not get a handle on this, you could see these things in Orlando whithin 10 years.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g557Bdx0gCIw9DZ0PuWBdpTnwqYQD99GE6HO0
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
people who buy snakes and then let them go are dumb asses. if you buy a snake and it gets too big for you to keep then you are a dumb ass for buying it in the first place. you should know that they are going to be big when you buy it. i feel that if it gets too much for you to handle then kill it before it kills somebody. this is the main reason why snakes should not be sold as pets, cuz people are stupid and think they are the cool thing to have. then they get big and people are like oh sh!@ what did i get myself into.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-24-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Open season for Pythons? I need a new set of luggage
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-24-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
They are currently trying to pass a law that forbids importing exotic animals. Shiat is creepy. They found one that ate a small gator and the gator was found hanging out the snakes stomach. Check it out below and see the article-

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1006_051006_pythoneatsgator.html

Upload

(Message edited by duffy on July 24, 2009)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-24-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Saw that on the discovery channel I lived about 20 miles from where that happened! Crazy!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
that is one huge ass snake. and the gator seems pretty big as well
Old     (beckycarter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-24-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
EW!
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-24-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
That is not a big gator!! I see way bigger all the time!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-24-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
I ride the St. Johns a few times a year and have seen really big bastards in there. Call me crazy but a Python freaks me out more than a gator...
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
believe me i see big ass gators up here all the time. I mainly ride in black creek and i have seen plenty of 13 and 15 footers but a 7 to 10 footer is still big as hell. That python is scary big though
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy none of that stuff up here!!
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-24-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
Thats one big huge snake
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
Hey George!

Long time no see! You need to bring the Fam down for a Vacation and ride with us! No Pythons in Central Florida yet.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-25-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
are you guys telling me that you are riding with pythons and gators under the boats ????? 3 foot pike is enough for me i cant imagine how the hell it is ? you are not scared to be grab ?

(Message edited by radikal on July 25, 2009)
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-26-2009, 2:16 AM Reply   
The gators are always there as we head out for our first set! Gators don't want humans! I just ride out no matter what!!!
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-28-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/07/28/pkg.fl.python.in.drain.wfts
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Creepy Ass Stuff!
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-28-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I won't be riding in Florida anytime soon, or probably ever. That is creepy stuff for sure.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
The snakes there are worse than the gators... Water Moccasins (or banded water snakes, they look the same - but no poison), oh baby.... they're mean as hell, and most snakes run from people, not these.

From out last trip there
Thanks Billy(woreout) for leaving this gem pissed off on our dock...
Upload
Upload
Banana Spider, awful
Upload
... and the these guys, they don't bother me to much, but if I had a dog or a baby it wouldn't get near the water
Upload
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-28-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
> Banana Spider, awful

Aieeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!! I didn't know we had those in the US. I am officially never moving to Florida.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nick,

Did Billy catch that snake and put it on your dock? That sounds like Billy, why doesn't he post here anymore?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
^ He "killed" it and laid it just outside our boat on the dock, he knew we were going fishing that night... and my friend is deathly scared of snakes.... he scared the hell out of him, I wasn't scared until it started to move when I kicked it... so I had to take matters into my own hands.

I see Billy on the Boats, Tow etc etc forum, but yeah he hasn't been around as much.... I miss his posts, they are so funny... I called him up a few weeks ago but didn't talk long, so he is still alive.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
from my neighbors dock.

Upload

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-28-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I donnt get it! All the shots we see in mags and all the lakes pros ride at in florida have gators? But, its okay b/c they dont attack humans? Holy sh#t!

So, for all you florida riders, is it common to see gators swimmin around during your set?

Has anyone run over a gator with their boat?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have been riding for 3 years and only seen a gator while riding once. They mostly come out at dawn and dusk which is there feeding times if I am nor mistaken.

Although, now that I ride in the bay I don't have to worry about gators anymore, just bull sharks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Winter they are rarely seen, summer they're all over... but usually they'll be swimming, the boat comes by, they dive down, the boat leaves and they pop back up.....

There was only once that was a close call with us over 2 years.... There was a gator just trolling around, we drove past and it dove down, our rider fell and ended his set, climbed in the boat and about 10 seconds after he got in the gator came up like 20 ft off the back of the boat.... exactly where he had fallen and was sitting in the water.

Barry Bird on here said that he has ollied a gator before.... they hate boats though.

Will C was telling me a story that the lack of rain ment she had to park her boat about 100ft off the end of her dock.... one night she got back at dusk and realized she had to run through knee deep water to get back to shore.... Before she did this she flipped on the tower lights and she saw like 10 pairs of eyes just glowing... so her choices were sleep in the boat or risk it.
She ended up going for it, rev'd the boat up, made some noise and just ran through the gator gauntlet..... either way, gators are there, lots of them... but you get use to them.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
Some more
Upload
Upload
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-28-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
IF YOU CANT TAKE IT MOVE UP NORTH GUYS.....HAHA PERSONALLY ID RATHER COPE WITH THE GATORS.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
you guys are all crazy, i just cant imagine take a fall after seeing a gator 10 feet away id just poop in my pants for sure and it will end wakeboarding forever sorry, i will never risk my life for wakeboarding ... well .... maybe just 1 arm, because i can continue ridding with 1 STRONG BICEP !!!!
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-28-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Why move up north when you can just move to California? Lol. To hell with all of your reptiles.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Nick,

You know Barry too? I'm good friends with Barry and never heard him mention ollie an alligator. I need to ask him about that one.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
I will admit that Gators scare the ever living of me, but I want to move back to Florida SOO bad.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-28-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
I've seen them around when we're riding, some lakes are worse than others. But they usually take off when the boat comes around.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-28-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
f that. seriously, in the butt
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-28-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Some alligator facts/video:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195447,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1196427,00.html ("The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission records an average of about seven alligator attacks every year, yet they are rarely fatal." ... "Yet park employees have seen tourists run over alligators with bikes and wheelchairs, throw rocks at them and stab them with sticks. People even put kids on the backs of the creatures for a gator photo op.")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_Stat es_by_decade

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/659933/avoiding_an_alligator_attack_in_florida.html?cat=9 ("Rule number one is the easiest rule of all to avoid an alligator attack -- Do not swim in lakes, ponds, canals, or even in a mud puddle." ... "Billy Bob with a cane pole is not going to chase a twelve foot alligator out of his swimming pool without getting eaten.")

http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/183709/beware_of_alligators_spring_break_trip.html?cat=16
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
I have to admit that I was extremely intimidated when first riding in Florida. The first two lakes we tried had several gators "observing" and it made me very nervous! But, as Nick pointed out and I learned personally, the water moccasins are far more aggressive and very dangerous. We had one try to get in the boat with us on the Suwannee River! Also had a close encounter, approx. 10 ft, with a gator on the Suwannee swimming nearby as I was about to start a set. Saw the "swirl" of water from his tail & then his big yellow eye. Needless to say, I went very conservative on the set as to not fall!

The gators on the St. Johns are rather large and I do take notice when they are no longer on the log they had been sunning on! Upload
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-28-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
god I love Montreal!!!!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
hummmmmm yeah pete i think i will never complain of an eel anymore, thats what we have that we can be scared of the most up here. Well if its not CHAMP the monster in the Champlain lake but i prefer him than those gators and pythons. Please if you saw me drunk in Florida remember me to never jump in your RIVER'S !!!

(Message edited by radikal on July 28, 2009)
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Those pics taken of the gator next to and under the dock are crazy. They must not be that scared of humans if you can get that close. And the common incounters with them from all the skiers and wakeboarders only makes them more comfortable with human interaction.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2009, 4:17 AM Reply   
Carl gators are scared of humans they hate boats so anytime a boat is running they swim off. if dumbasses feed gators then they associate humans with food and that is when attacks happen. but if everyone would just let the beast find its own food then things would be fine and they would stay away from humans in the water. ANd yes water moccasins suck more than anything. Every chance i get they will die if im around.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
Tree huggers beware...

If I am in a secluded cove and see a gator I put a couple rounds in it....SIG P226 works wonders up close
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
Dick move man. They have a right to be there more so than you do... live and let live... 999 times out of 1000 they aren't going to get near you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
^ A shot or two doesn't kill them, their skin is so tough, its just a slap on the wrist that says get the hell out... and maybe 999 out of 1000, but I've been in the water over 1000 times, so that means I'm due.... I pick the gun.

Billy said he had a big one hanging around his dock for a week or two... one day the kids were swimming and like 10 ft behind them a head popped up and just slowly swam at the kids... long story short the kids are fine and a few bullets has kept the gator away since.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
... I totally forgot some more downsides to Florida (I hear it from the fiance weekly on why weeeee don't want to live in Florida)

Amoebas - the mud in the shallow water in the summer gets some ameoba that gets in your head through your nose or ear, goes to your brain and kills you.

The Little Black Bugs - there is some tiny little black bug that if you are bitten you've got like 2 days to get to the hospital, or boop dead. One of my friends got bit at OWC and a few hours later his hand and forearm had like swelled to double the size... few days in the hospital he was fine...

Florida's nature is not mess with.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I shoot amoebas and black bugs too, just harder to hit......
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-29-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Not long ago there was a drunk (teen I believe) who decided to take a dip in an alligator infested channel one night. He lost an arm in the incident. Does anyone remember this story it made the news?

Anyhow, we have these things in south Georgia as well. My grandmother actually had one in her pond she use to feed. It got to the point were it was coming to the back door every morning waiting on the scraps from the day prior. Needless to say it had to get a bullet. This thing was 8 feet in length and we were scared one of the younger grandchildren was going to go missing one day. For some reason its pecker got put in a jar of formaldehyde and it stayed in my dads shop forever (I had no doing in this). My friends though it was funny as hell. Needless to say I ski with these things as well and I hope I don't run into one of the one my grandmother feeds. I honestly think this story got to the director of Lake Placid somehow because that little old lady fits my grandmother to a tee, and apparently she knows how to "grow em big".
Old     (spoon5285)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-29-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
"This is Rocky and he aint no puppy"

Upload
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
The one in my profile pic is now on my wall. Getting close to him was the hardest part of all. Threw a harpoon and hand lined him in. Nose to tail just under 11 feet.

(Message edited by srock on July 29, 2009)
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-29-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
When hurricane Andrew hit back in the 90's all of the Burmese Pythons escaped from the Zoo. That is why so many are are being seen and they are the size that they are now. They've been free for almost 15 years. Snakes can make lots of babies in 15 years.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-29-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Nice Tim! Did you get any gator tags for this season?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
as long as all of those pythons stay down in the everglades then all is well its once they start to venture north that things get hairy. Although they are messing with the eco system down in the everglades and need to be stopped asap. I dont see why these things are kept in zoos who cares they are just big snakes wow how awesome, snakes have no business in captivity, leave them in the wild. As long as snakes stay the hell away from me they will stay alive.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
End of August is my slot. Both myself and my hunting/business partner got tags for the same time period so we only paid for one license(2 tags).
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-02-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
They just caught a 17 foot python in Okee
http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/1165767.html?storylink=omni_popular
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-02-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
WOW!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Quite surprised that the vet shot it. I don't know what he was meant to do? You just don't think of vets killing animals/reptiles .........

I hate snakes. Seen more snakes in 3 years in Orlando than i've seen in my lifetime.
I was at Shaun Murrays one night and a gator came right up next to the boat dock and grabbed Gerry Nunns dog.Didn't manage to get a grip on him and the dog got away. Scary though!!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
are you effing serious. if a gator got my dog and was around long enough my family and i would be eating gator tail for a little while. i'd have some new kick ass shoes maybe a new belt, wallet, the girlfriend would have a new purse and then i would mount the gator head on the end of the dock just to let his friends know what happens when you mess with my family you damn gators
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
We could still see the gator hanging around. Gerry went and got his gun and him and Shaun went after it in a canoe but they never got it.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       08-02-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
I've lived in Fl my entire life. Though I've only been wakeboarding since the spring, I was raised on a lake. Yes, gators are everywhere, they live in retention ponds, creeks, ditches, whatever, but they aren't out to get you. I've probably only seen enough gators in my life to count on both hands, and not very many are as big as the giants in the pics above. They are sunning in the reeds on the edge of the lake, or on the banks, they hate the boats, and the noise. Life is dangerous everywhere. The lake I board in now is only about 6 ft deep, and silty as hell, so I'm more worried about moccasins. Seriously, though, it may cross your mind that there are gators out there, but once you're out there, you forget all about it, cause it's all about the fun. Can't live in fear.

I did have a dream once about a mama gator biting me after I kicked a baby gator with my board in my home lake, so everytime I wipe out near the reeds in my dream, I freak out, and encourage a power turn.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
I am from FLA and grew up on lake.They are in every lake and i dont really fear them.But that being said that big boy in Adams pics is WAY to comfy around people and should be delt with.We had some get to big and to comfy. on the lake i lived on starting coming up in peoples yards and eating pets.Trappers came out to my house hung a cows heart from a huge hook about a foot out of the water tied off to the dock.Few hrs. latter boom gator on.They drug it up in the back yard and took an axe to the back of its head. It was 13ft long.I was in this water just about everyday. this was in the 80s when i was young.It kept me out of the water for about 2 weeks then i just couldnt take it anymore and had to get back out there.When they start getting to comfy around people thats when i get a little worried about them other than that they are more afraid of you than you are of them.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-03-2009, 4:03 AM Reply   
I'm glad I don't have to deal with snakes or gators in MI. this is about the worst we get...i almost stepped on this guy while uncovering my boat.
Upload
Upload
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2009, 5:11 AM Reply   
We ride on the St. Mary's River that borders North Fl and GA and there are plenty of these on the river. During the day, they seem to lay low, as there is plenty of boat traffic. We did take a stroll one evening though with a spot light and that left a lasting impression. Amber glowing eyes cruising the river. It served as a great reminder these reptiles are still out there. We choose to not bring our dog as for some reason, dogs just seem to attract gators. There is probably no science behind it, but it just seems that dogs are the targets before humans are. The FWC guys told us to be careful if we ever had a dog on the boat because some weeks prior, a gator went after a boat that had a pooch on it. Something to think about.
Old    gotwake123            08-03-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
what is a banana spider?
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
http://www.badspiderbites.com/banana-spider/

Ill be staying away from these guys.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-03-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
We were riding on Horsetooth yesterday in CO when a 5ft long snake swam right by the boat. That was kind of scary I couldn't imagine a gator swimming by.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-03-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
nickbot there are snakes up here too son, u just never see em.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-04-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
Those banana spiders are harmless. You are talking about the brown banana spiders in South America. Those are the deadly one's. If you look at the spider in your link it looks nothing like the spider above. Here is some better information.

http://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/Wildlife/bannana_spider_photo_gallery.htm
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-04-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
andy, what snakes?? i've seen several swimming on the lake that aren't poisonous and never caused me any alarm?? are there others I don't know about??
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-08-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
> Those banana spiders are harmless.

Maybe, but any spider half that big in my car on the highway could turn fatal to me and other nearby drivers.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
^^^LMAO