Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Problem:
The ski pylon on my 96 Sanger DLX is a bit loose. Under the floor the pylon has two metal braces that go back and mount to the main floor stringers on either side of the motor that run fore and aft. The bolt (approx 5/8" dia) that attaches one of the braces to one of the stringers has worked a little loose. I can wrench on the nut as it is accessible from the engine side. The problem is it turns the bolt because I cannot access the bolt head to get a wrench on it. To get a wrench on the bolt head I need access under the floor between the main stringer and the outside of the boat (port side).

Question:
How much of the interior needs to come out in order to be able to lift the floor board up to access the bolt?

If the answer is "all of it" I will quickly drop to plan "B" which is to vice grip the crap out of the end of the bolt sticking out beyond the lock nut and open-end wrench the locknut.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
All the interior on that side would have to come out but that won't do you any good. The floor is laminated to the sides and stringers with fiberglass cloth and resin, not screwed down.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
thanks Sparky. I was afraid of that since I was not able to detect any "seam" in the flooring. My plan B is looking more and more appealing.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
No prob. I went to great lengths to rid my DXII of the ski pylon but that's a whole other story. Never used it and was tired of trippin over it.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-22-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Lose the vice grips, and use a grinder to grind a clean straight groove across the end of the bolt. Then use an oversize flat blade screwdriver to hold the bolt while turning the nut with a box end wrench. Works much better than vice grips, and the end result will be a tighter assembly.