Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    lakeside5_10            01-10-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
this is the flex i have on my 3lb. eps foam stringerless 1" thick retro fish with 2.0 nose rocker and .5 tail. 6/6 deck and 6/6 bottom . I know that surfdad wants the board to flex and feel alive , how does this look.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/saltyoysters/?action=view&current=MOV00937.flv
Old    surfdad            01-10-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Very nice, Mark!
Old    lakeside5_10            01-10-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
is this the flex you are looking for , and can you do this on your stringer bullet boards
Old    surfdad            01-10-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
This is strictly my opinion, so shouldn't be considered universal. I measure flex by deflection. Too MUCH and the board is floppy. Too stiff and the board doesn't pop off the lip as well as it could.

I support the board on both ends, 6 to 8 inches in from the ends and then stand in the middle.

1) If it doesn't snap :-) It's passed stage one. :-)

2) I aim for deflection with 200 pounds in the middle of more than 1/2" and less than 2".

Example :-) Doesn't that look like I should be tap dancing on it? :-)

Upload
Old    lakeside5_10            01-10-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
damb , still got those shoes
Old    surfdad            01-11-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
Those are the best shoes, ever! They have become an integral part of my shaping. I can't even pick up a planer without wearing those shoes...my arm gets weak, my sight blurry...soon, I just have to stop and put on the super magic best ever shaping shoes! :-) I so wish I was selling a line of ratty shoes like that so I could start spamming 'em.

Tired of women always hitting on you? Then you need to slip on a pair of Super Magic Ratty Shaper's Shoes (tm), guaranteed to keep those pesky babes away! :-)
Old    lakeside5_10            01-11-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
what tunes do you like to listen to.??
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-11-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Thouse shoes makes me kinda nervous
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
You should have those shoes bronzed when you get a new pair!

I watched the video and your board definitely has some flex to it. I wonder if it would snap if you did the same test Jeff did in the photo he posted? I wonder how excessive flex translates in wakesurfing? Could too much flex in the middle "bog" the board down or could you use it as a spring so to speak or does it really matter to the average weekend rider?

(Message edited by mhetheridge on January 11, 2009)
Old    surfdad            01-11-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
New pair? Why would I get a new pair? :-)

Matt E poses a good question. Excessive flex (and I've built some that qualify) creates extra rocker and effectively slows the board down, especially noticeable to occassional riders. NO flex is the best option for occassional riders.

For performance, it's not really the "flex" that is important, it's the spring back.
Old    lakeside5_10            01-11-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
TA DA STRINGERLESS , SORRY I AM 170 LB. Upload

(Message edited by lakeside5_10 on January 11, 2009)
Old    surfdad            01-11-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Definately passed my two tests. Didn't snap and the deflection looks like it is within the .5 to 2.0 range.
Old    lakeside5_10            01-11-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Jeff , is your Zcloth board stringerless??
Old    surfdad            01-11-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
"sorta". 1 pound eps core, 1 layer of 5.7 oz AS4 (commercial grade) carbon running vertically between the core and 1/2" of H80 d-cell along the rails.

I have a board that is about to pop into a bag, within the hour, where I laid up 3 layers of 5.7 oz AS4 along the rails like a perimeter stringer and THAT is stiffer than 1/8" of basswood.