Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I hurt my right lower rib like a month ago wakeboarding. The first time it hurt for like 5 minutes but then it was alright. Now whenever i fall hard that rid hurts for like a minute and then the pain goes away. Also if i turn my body in any weird position that like stretches my stomach muscles it hurts. It really doesn't bother me but I wana make sure im not screwing myself up. What do you guys think it is? Bruised rib? Broken rib? etc.
Old    kidrik            04-27-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Have your DOCTOR check it out! Think of the long run man.....(it's been a month)

It could be nothing, and you'll be back on the water in no time! But you might hate to be wrong, and make it worse....?

Good luck.
Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-27-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
I did the same thing last year... Landed weird on a fall and jacked my left ribcage all up. I think I cracked something cause when I compare the left side to the right the left has 2-3 ribs that jut out strangely. I didn't do anything and re-injured it again like 2 weeks later. I took it easy after that and it slowly healed and I'm as good as new now. I felt the same pain as you described above. I guess if you can feel a definite difference in the ribs then you might go see a doctor to have it set. Otherwise, they can't put a cast on it, so you're prolly better off saving your co-pay for gas and just take it easy. Of course do not take this as an "it's ok cause this other guy did the same thing".

Hope it's nothing serious!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
A couple things it could be:
1. oblique (abdominal) muscles attach to the ribs laterally- strained
2. the junction where the rib ends and the cartilage begins- sprained ligaments

If you have pain with active motion (side crunches, elbow to opposite knee crunches) or passive stretching (like you described)then usually means muscle strain

P.S. I'm not a doctor, I just play one one the internet...
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-27-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
I messed up a rib this winter while snowboarding, I didn't break it, but when I leaned back, I could see that rib sticking out further than all the others. It hurt so bad for so long, I put all that "I dont believe in that chiropractor BS" behind me and went and saw one. Long story short, best doctor visit I've ever had. Look into it, it could be very well worth it. Hope this helps
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-30-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
It's probably not that bad...I cracked three ribs snowboarding two years ago and only went to the doc hte next day cause it was hard to breathe. All they did was give me X-rays, tell me that 3 of them were cracked, and sent me home. No meds, no 'complimentary chocolate milk', just instruction not to move at all. I had to sleep sitting up for a few nights, but after a month or so, all was well.
If Ron is right, probably just take it easy. It should pass soon unless you keep re-injuring it.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
My ribs seem to hurt all through the season. I find that drinking after an aggressive session helps me...
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
I wuss'd out and went to the doc. after a failed backroll to board submarine incident! Xray's neg. but said I tore the cartilege off the bone, stated it would take 6-8 weeks to heal. It did but now there cool, I doubt yours are broken, from what I hear it's all but death if there broke, extremely painful to breath etc... Take it easy for a bit and you'll probably be fine.
Old     (alt_adjust)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
If you broke a rib, you would know it. One of the most painful things that I have ever been through. But like Nate said, they x-ray you tell them they are broke and send you home. The only thing to do for a broken rib is take it easy and let it heal.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Don't forget the muscles between the ribs - Intercostals.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
yep, crashing a raley attempt I felt weird getting out of the water and noticed a lump at the bottom of my ribcage.. trip to the ER ensued. As everyone has mentioned, they don't do squat for broken ribs/torn cartledge. Just rest and let 'er heal. I guess they don't even tape them any more since that drastically raises chance of pneumonia. My lasting memento is a perma-bump where my rib didn't quite heal in its original position.