Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 Kine that is about 6 wks out of warrantee, took a hard fall Saturday and both boots popped off, one with both bolts and one with the whole insert attached. I know this has been an issue and called Slingshot, I told them the board was 2 mos out of warrantee (didnt have the purchase date) and they were v. nice but firm in that they could only sell me a discounted 2012 board to replace it, vs warranteeing this one.
I did the purchase but am now kind of disappointed that they couldnt do more for me.
There are no local dealers so bought it through a major distributor on line, if I calculated shipping time, I probably even had it 1 yr 5 wks, never mind I'm in Detroit and there was no April or May riding.

I really like the product, It's my second Slingshot board and I have the Rad bindings...Again, they were v pleasant, and I know that times are hard, but.....

Am I out of line here?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-11-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
I know im pretty pro slingshot, but outside looking in they have no idea how you treated your board and how much truth you are telling. Its pretty cool that they hooked you up with a good deal on a new one. Out of line? No, i dont think so.
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
It's too bad dogfunk.com doesn't sell wakeboard gear. They have an unlimited return policy for stuff like this. I returned my 1.5 yr old snowboard bindings after they broke for a full refund no questions asked. Does anyone know any wakeboard sites that offer an unlimited return policy?
Old     (wink_vlx)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-11-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
How utterly disappointing, the Slingshot has a KNOWN defect & the manufacturer cannot stand behind their product!!!!
I have been interested in their product but if this is how you are treated......not a chance
As for the "out of line " question I Think NOT, stand behind your product
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-11-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Someone else i know had his inserts ripped out of his slingshot this past week. Not sure which board he has but im sure he'll chime in here at some point. His wouldnt be warrantied though bc he used it on sliders though.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       06-11-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
I think its pretty awesome they hooked you up with a discounted board, especially since it was outside the warranty period. There is a reason for the 1 year warranty period.
If every company had a "unlimited warranty" policy, we would be paying a lot more than $400 bucks a board. I think you should be stoked they hooked you up and should continue to support their product in return.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2012, 12:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink_vlx View Post
How utterly disappointing, the Slingshot has a KNOWN defect & the manufacturer cannot stand behind their product!!!!
I have been interested in their product but if this is how you are treated......not a chance
As for the "out of line " question I Think NOT, stand behind your product
How's this for standing behind product?

I place calls to Slingshot all too frequently...

Here is one incident..

"Slingshot this is Brian, how can I help you?"

"Hey Brian, I have a 2009 Recoil and it is riding a little too tight for me, do you guys have any smaller fins available?"

"Ya sure thing, that board has 8" fins, let me send you the 6" fins from the Response. What's your address?"

"That would be great, can you give me a total on the price of the fins and shipping?"

"Don't worry about it, thanks for supporting Slingshot!"

Or the next call about how I wanted to know how the team guys were riding their Lyman board and what boots most guys were riding it with, he asked what kind of boots I had currently, which at the time were D3's and these needed a mount plate to attach to a two bolt setup as opposed to the 4 hole snowboard style. He asked if I had the original mount plates that came with my D3's and I told him no I had lost track of them when I moved he said, no problem are you still at such and such address? " Ya I am, what's the total with tax and shipping?" Again, "Don't worry about it man."

These guys do stand behind their product, more so than any or most other manufacturers. Bottom line they cannot warrantee every single board outside of the warranty period. Look at it from the other side of the counter, think about the kind of customer slingshot markets to... These boards are meant for guys that beat the crap out of their board and ride it a lot. So when you get a call saying your board broke and it's out of warranty, you have to assume a few things... A. The board has to have been ridden relatively hard to break it. B. How many riders call in daily about out of warranty stuff claiming it's barely been ridden?

Now I don't know how much the OP paid but I have a pretty good idea in mind and if so it was probably wholesale. And considering that he was able to get a better and more durable board for wholesale or close to it I'd say he made out pretty damn good, what if his fast track didn't break another season? What if he was so far past that they weren't able to do anything and he had to pay full price on whatever brand he chose?

I'm not trying to blast you or anything, but seriously dude you'll be hard pressed to find a company half as good as Slingshot. So don't buy it that's fine, but don't go around acting like they are the bad water sports company around here.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2012, 4:17 AM Reply   
I'm not trying to "act like they are the bad water sports company", I said they were "v. nice, but firm". You are probably right to assume the board is ridden hard and beat given their target sales group, but this board has never seen a slider and is pristine. I get the cut off time period getting important, you have to draw a line somewhere, it just seems it is a fuzzy line, given the known defect and it being so close.

I like their product, the fact they are trying to be green, made in the US, the way they land soft....
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       06-12-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
They did draw the line somewhere...
Since your board was outside the warranty period, they worked something out for you instead of saying, sorry to hear about your board we can't cover it.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-12-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Slingshot's customer service is absolutely unreal, but unfortunately your board is out of warranty, it's pretty clear that they won't and should not replace your board. It's not like it was one month out of warranty, it was 2 months out of warranty and they tried to get you back riding with their gear for cheap. Life & fun are not free my friend, slingshot has to make money too.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9fxr View Post
I'm not trying to "act like they are the bad water sports company", I said they were "v. nice, but firm". You are probably right to assume the board is ridden hard and beat given their target sales group, but this board has never seen a slider and is pristine. I get the cut off time period getting important, you have to draw a line somewhere, it just seems it is a fuzzy line, given the known defect and it being so close.

I like their product, the fact they are trying to be green, made in the US, the way they land soft....
I was talking to wink_vlx
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-12-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Robot, You are not out of line if all of your facts are straight. You don't seem like your are ripping on Slingshot to me.

Every strong rider I knew on slingshot did this to at least one or two boards last year. This isn't an isolated problem. As far as I know, in most every case they were replaced regardless of abuse. The warranty validity is a bummer, but a deal is a deal.
Old     (Tank222)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
One of my buddies had the same problem. 2 weekends ago. Inserts came out one one boot and the other is almost out. 2 weeks out of warranty. The board maybe has 30 day's of riding on it.
Sucks but it is what it is.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-13-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
The tough thing about situations like this is that many of us are seasonal riders, so the bulk of our warranty term is likely covering time where the board is chilling in the garage. It's a vague term considering most of us aren't riding year round at the cable in Florida.

I don't think you're out of line because of the known defect part of this situation.

All said, it was cool that they offered the discount, and they have been great in replacing my last years liners considering I had hardly ridden them and they were breaking down far too quickly.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Not warrantying a 2011 board for a pulled insert is WEAK!!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
^^ Ditto, You are not out of line. '11's Fastracks were known to be faulty, not an if but a when will it bust.

"These boards are meant for guys that beat the crap out of their board and ride it a lot."

Riders that "beat the crap out of their board" like Slingshot because they're supposed to hold up. That's why that demographic of rider commonly rides Slingshot, and they'll move on if that doesn't hold true. A faulty attachment system has nothing to do with riding a board hard. You'll also be hard pressed to find someone who beats and treats their board like crap that doesn't get it for free, from Slingy or their parents... and knows there's a new free one on the way when that one breaks.

All this said, the '12 Fasttracks are not supposed to have the issues that the '11's did, so don't be as concerned with your new board.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-13-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Agreed. Weak.
If this is a known issue, they should definitely stand by their product... warranty or no.