Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    absolutofft            07-01-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
I have a sportstar 19 which is basically a prostar 190, I am using a 1500 lb fatseat in the back and a fatsac in the front half filled (300lbs). The wake is quite nice as it is, but I was wondering if anyone would recommend going with more weight?

below is a picture of the current wake with 1800 lbs water weight and 5 people in the boat (1 on the rope)

wake picture

(Message edited by absolutofft on July 01, 2003)
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-01-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   
Damn that looks healthy
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-01-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
Aaron,

My latest wake weighting experiment was w/ a fatseat, two side sacs alongside the engine and a side sac filled under the bow. It made for a pretty good wake in my prostar 190. I don't think that the fatseats are really 1500 lbs though, if they were you'd have a tough time getting things all balanced out, but that's irrelevant I guess...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
That is a sweet looking wake.

The prostar 190 creates a great vertical wake. Yet, the closed bow is a bit difficult to weight in the front and a balance is critical.

Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2003, 5:10 AM Reply   
I have basically the same setup in an 88 ProStar. I have about 400+ lbs in the nose, and occasionally fill up another 600 lb sac in front of the motor box to get weight up front. Everyone that rides w/ me is pleasantly amazed at the wake size and shape.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
Yeah Matt, I don't think those Fat Seats are 1,500 lbs either. I fill mine till it's PLUMP (minus the backrest/armrests) and my guess is that it's somewhere between 1,000 and 1,200 lbs.
I also do the Launch side sacs and I have 200 lbs. of sand under the bow and if needed (no riders) will add a sac in front of the motor box. My guess is that with the Fat Seat (1,000 approx.) the Side Sacs (700 approx.) and the 200 lbs. sand I'm running at or near 2,000 lbs.
Wake is real nice; has a great ramp and just enough vert.
If you want to experiment with a little more weight maybe check into getting some lead since it is small and moveable it will be easier to shape the wake.
Old    dburke            07-02-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Sweet wake!!! Aaron, at what speed and rope length are you riding at?

I have a MC 205 and run about 1000 lbs of weight and find that the best wake is right around 60ft @ 21mph. I havent tried it much faster.

Do you think I should try faster?

Im going to try to squeeze some more weight in the boat.

Thanks
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-02-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Go 70 @ 22.5 - much better
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
My friend has an 03 pro-star team edition. He puts a fat seat in the back and a 400lb sac in the bow. I think the wake is as big as our stock X-2, maybe bigger. It is nice and clean with a great transition. The wake is very narrow which sucks for riding because you always land hard 10ft outside the wake. It's great for learning new tricks though because you don't have to worry about hitting the second wake. These boats are small, but they can handle a lot of weight. Even with a full fat seat and 4 people in the boat the platform stays above water.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-02-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
does most people who add a lot of additional weight get a new prop also... Sometimes its a little slow getting up and moving
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
No prop change, but my friends prostar has a 385hp LQ9.
Oh- my fault he has a 197 not a 190.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
What year is the boat Aaron?
It's gonna be slow out of the hole with 240hp. You will definately want to go with a 4 blade prop.

65' or 70' depending on how many riders/weight and 21-23mph.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-02-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
which Aaron? I added 700 lbs and with a full boat and ballist it can be slow... I have over 300 hp in the boat too... I'm not to worried about changing the prop just asking what others do.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
Oh, I thought you were the guy who started the thread. My bad.
Even the "best" wake boats with the most hp can be slow out of the hole when weighted.
Old    absolutofft            07-04-2003, 10:59 PM Reply   
the boat is a 98, 305 with 260hp, with the boat full of people and weighted up you have to give it full power to pull a boarder up at normal speed, with 3 ppl in the boat i only give it about 3/5 of the full throttle and it gets out of the hole pretty darn fast.

I think when there is more weight up front it gets onto plane much faster.

Im gonna fill the front fatsac up to the full 600lbs this weekend. I will post pics :-)

Also regarding the x2 comparison, I found the wakesize to be very similar to the x2 but the x2 wake was a little steeper, which is probably because of the fact when I rid in the x2 there was 2 filled fatsacs in the rear compartments and only a side sac up in the bow. More weight in the nose would probably have made the wake have a nice ramp.
Old    rmanoff            07-04-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
for everyones info you can put as much weight in an boat as long as the boat doesn't sink and as long as you have a enough money to fix the motor when it blows up every year. a motor can only take so much stress, and it will only last a little while under all that stress no matter what kind of boat you have, trust me. so make sure you have money to fix it. it's just the 2100 lbs. ballast in the new MB boat, that motor in that boat is only going to last so long before it blows up.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hmmmm. With 2,000# ballast and a full tank of gas, my boat is under 6,000#. A SeaRay 290 Sundancer has a wet weight of more than 9,100# and comes with a GM-based Mercruiser gasoline engine. A 510 Sundancer weighs in at more than 24,800#. It's powered by twin GM-based Mercruiser gasoline engines, so each one is pulling over 12,000#.

SeaRay is a divsion of the company that builds Mercruiser engines. I don't think they're installing engines that routinely blow up because of "all that stress."

Old    absolutofft            07-05-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
people have been waiting their boats for a few years now, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing their engine up because of it. A cracked hull maybe, a blown engine no.
Old    turtle            07-05-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 PS 190 with the powerslot/LTR 330-hp, Perfect Pass plus repitched the prop.

I have 300 in the bow, 150lb sand that just stays in there, and the factory ballast 180lb (The one that balances out the boat for slalom) I have 50 pounds of lead on each side of the fuel tank as far back as I can get it. I run two 350 pound sacs on each side of the motor. We also put a about 150-200 pounds under the back seat. With 4 people in the boat and one ridding it looks like
AAron's wake....I have had a total of 8 guys in the boat all in the 175-200 range and the wake is really big..we run on a river that is very deep and you see very few boats (Not rough). The draw back to that is you burn fuel fast and it is not very smart. It does get to a point where enough is enough for safety. The boat works great for us.