Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
From Wakesports Unlimited:

When: Aug. 8th
What time: 7pm
Where: Santee City Buildings on Magnolia

Let's make this happen. For those of you who don't know, Santee Lakes is in the works to hopefully get a wakeboard/waterski Cable Park put in. It is a cable pull system with jumps, rails, and perfect water all the time that allows us all to enjoy our sport without a top of the line $70k boat. It will also bring the sport to many more people.

So please, get your friends and family and go out and support the cause.
The Santee Lakes Wakeboard Cable Park has a City Council Hearing on August 12th at 7pm at the City Buildings on Magnolia. Can you help spread the word? They need the support and as many people to show up as possible!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
They have my support... just kind of a far drive for me... you should post the address... Good Luck.
Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-24-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
AUG. 12th!!!!
Sorry guys
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-24-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
??? really? still? how long have they been talking about this? forever. Obviously someone is preventing it from happening.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-24-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
It's true! We are back at it again as of this week rallying as much support as we can to ensure the City Council will approve the Santee Lakes Cable Park! We NEED your help, we need Santee residents, East County residents and the wakeboarding community!

There are a couple of ways to offer your support:

1. You can attend the meeting at City Hall in Santee on August 12th at 7:00 pm. This is very important and will be the key to an approval vote that night. You don't have to speak, just show up. Everyone in favor of the park will wear a large sticker that says, "YES" on their shirt for the Council to see. Speakers are welcome, and the bigger the crowd, the better!

2. You can write a letter to the Mayor and City Council members expressing your support. You can e-mail the Council at: council@ci.santee.ca.us. Tell them your thoughts, why this park will be a great addition to the City of Santee, great for families and the sport of wakeboarding.

For those of you not familiar with the proposed park, we are designing a 6-mast system, restaurant, snack bar, pro shop, large observation decks, lockers, etc. This will be a unique asset to the existing Santee Lakes and bring active recreation to the community. We have plans to work with local schools and organizations, want to form clubs and partner with the community to bring the sport to as many people as we can. To date, this has been a 3 year process. We had several initial approvals to gain, environmental studies to complete and design issues to work through. Now that those are done, we are headed to the FINAL stages of approval with the City Council. This is where you come in!

If you would like more info or would like to help, please e-mail me at info@santeelakescableboardpark.com. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Upload
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Santee City Hall
10601 Magnolia Ave., Santee, CA 92071 | (619)258-4100
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I am going to try to be there. The more people who show up the better the chances of possibly swaying someone to vote yes. Can Wakesports have customers come down from OC as well? RJ, Geeoff? That would be sweet if we could somehow rally 300 people to show up, hopefully we can use Wakeworld as the gathering place to find local riders to come out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
just out of curiousity, does it really matter how many people attend? not to say that i won't attend, but i think if 1 person can prove to them that the cable park will be a source of revenue for the city and that it will increase tourism (thus bringing in more revenue), that's all they're going to need to be convinced, right? imo, what it boils down to is that the city council wants to know how a cable park going to benefit them and the city. money talks! otherwise, i doubt it would have taken this long to get an approval. either that or i have no idea what i'm talking about and that i'm completely clueless of the process.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-27-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
How are you guys getting around the Theme Park law in CA? Anything driven with an electric drive motor gets classified a theme park ride and must have a fence to keep people out?

Have you hit that block yet?

Also it may be a good idea for speakers to talk about local economy. How the park will stimulate it by ticket sales, pro shop sales, and restaurant.

It also might be a good decision to choose your speakers.. Don't want one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oVzbwYWpg
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Riley,

That speaker is hilarious!! Our line will be "the water is free".
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-27-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Joe, you don't know what you're talking about! :-)

Actually, I might not know either, but from what I can tell, the major hurdle is not whether it will be good for the city. I'm super impressed with how progressive and forward-looking Santee is and I don't think you need to convince too many officials that this is going to benefit the city in the long run.

I think the main problem is a small, but vocal, group of residents that do not want it "in their backyard." They certainly have some good points and living next to a cable park is not for everybody, there really aren't that many that are directly impacted. Many of them don't believe that the value of their homes will improve as a result of the cable park, but I'm pretty confident that they will. Either way, as the officials stated at the water board meeting, the benefits to the many outweigh the inconvenience for a few by a very large margin.

Yes, it sucks if you bought a house next to that lake and anticipated spending the rest of your years looking out at the water sans cable, but this cable park will put Santee on the map and bring a lot of revenue and progress to the city in an environmentally friendly way. I don't see how any responsible city official could turn it down.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
That really is hilarious and yes, we are a little selective on who we would like to speak.... for that reason! Obviously, we can't deny any individual who would like to be heard, but I doubt I'll be seeking that girl out. We do have several supportive speakers who want to be heard in favor of the park. If you are interested in speaking, contact me and I'd be happy to give you all the info.

It actually does matter how many people show at the hearing in favor because there is a group of opponents in Santee who do not want this addition to Santee Lakes. The Council needs to see both sides here. The opponents concerns are traffic, noise, crowds, unruly persons, etc. We have done several lengthy (and costly) studies addressing each of their concerns. Because of the opposition, the Council needs to know that this park will be an asset to the community of Santee and the way to show them this is by support letters and most importantly, attending the meeting. It's been quite a controversial battle to this point because cable skiing/ wakeboarding is an unknown to the general population. What it boils down to is this: If it's not going to benefit the entire community, the Council won't approve it. They are elected officials. It has been our goal from the beginning to make this a family-friendly park. A place that you can take the kids for the day, wakeboard or ski, eat in the restaurant, play and enjoy the day.

As far as the Theme Park law, not sure if it applies to us or not. It is a fenced facility on private property leased from the water district.

Again, if you have any questions or would like further info, feel free to contact me. info@santeelakescableboardpark.com

Elizabeth
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I emailed the council.....and got a reply from someone.....he mentioned the concern of homeowners nearby with regards to noise on his reply. I simply stated that home values would increase with regard to the cable park being there.

I for one, nominate David Williams to speak on behalf of our locals and to represent the industry as a whole being a resident of the county.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Another vote for Dave, but from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) but only Santee residents are allowed to speak at the council meeting. Everyone else can come and listen, etc. Different than the water board meeting. Dave would definately be the best for the job as far as representing all of us.

I know there have been a ton of studies and hurdles over the past year, but like has been said, the persons opposing the park are a very small percentage. I worked one of the campaign booths way back, and out of all the persons I spoke with, I had only one person that was adamantly against it. After speaking with them for a few minutes, I realized they know very little about the park as far as how it would be run, the noise, parking, etc. Also found out that they lived several miles from the lake, and probably would not be effected anyway. I was plesantly surprised about how many persons who knew nothing about it became very interested and excited when it was explained to them how the park and cable worked, the benefits to Santee and the families, etc. Very posetive response from everyone.

I know John, Trevor, Elizabeth, and all their staff have done an outstanding job taking on this project. Huge props go out to them. Can't say enough good things about them.

I know I will be there, and will be getting together our local wakeboarders to come and show support.

See everyone there.

Buzz}

(Message edited by buzz grande on July 27, 2009)

(Message edited by buzz_grande on July 27, 2009)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-27-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Although I believe Santee residents will probably have the most impact, others are allowed to speak. I most likely will be speaking, but I will be speaking from the perspective of a family guy with three kids that would spend a lot of time at the cable park, as well as the owner of WakeWorld.

This is a great project and I think that the council members will agree once they have all the facts.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
x3 on Dave^^^ Can we get him to rent a residence in Santee for next month?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-27-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy when these angry homeowners start selling! :-) Seriously though, the property values in Santee are very reasonable right now, so I would not be surprised if this park brings in quite a few new residents!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-27-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I would buy!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
You do not have to be a resident to speak at the meeting. However, Dave is correct in saying that the most impact will come Santee residents who support the park.

Thanks for the continued support! Please continue to pass this along to your friends and family members who can either attend the meeting or send in support letters. We need all the help we can get! I look forward to meeting all of you at the meeting in just 2 weeks!

E~
Old     (snowake56)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-27-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/?q=node/1652

needs some yes votes!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
voted!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
so if all of ww votes?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Everyone please vote and help us down here in the land of no water and no lakes!
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
voted yes, good luck!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-28-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
overnight we doubled our numbers!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-28-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Voted, and good luck to all of you down there!

These are never easy battles. I spoke at city council meetings years ago, trying to get our city to allow a skate park. The battle went on for years, many different sites were proposed but was never succesful due to the "not in my back yard" mentality ...Seems like anything fun usually is looked upon negatively by government authorities.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Riley, holy crap that video was priceless. Sorry to hijack this thread but WTF was she talking about? Slavery in the east coast...vegetables grow on trees...cars made in Santa Cruz...I've never heard rambling like that before.

I'll send the City Council an email with my support for the cable park and let them know that I will travel from the bay area to Santee along with many others from outside the area to ride a cable park. Its much easier than traveling to OWC or TSR as I've done in the past. Good luck
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-28-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I was looking at the http://www.santeelakes.com/CableSkiPark.htm site and that place looks cool! Voted for sure! It seems like the residents really aren't that close to the park? Thanks for the work SD people!
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
VOTED GOOD LUCK!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-28-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Voted, good luck I hope Cali gets this park!!
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Voted. The wife and I are planning to show up Wednesday to support. Yeah these things are tough, the people anti are usually VERY vocal and the people pro can be somewhat complacent. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Danny