Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-16-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
I agree that it is amazing and is probably the hottest trick anyone has landed to date. Sharpe's double toeside roll flattens me too though. But clearly a new method for spinning has been developed, and to say this is "it" for numerous years can't be right. He is the man, yes, but I'd guess that this isn't the last 12 we'll see from him this year. Additionally he's probably got a few people right on his heels with this trick.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
I wonder why he ditched the 1080s and went for the 12.

Like other TS FS spins....everyone says a Toe 5 is easier than a Toe 3. Maybe the heelside landing was easier for him?
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
i still think Sharpes indy dbl. backroll was a way more legit trick, especially taking into consideration how i want to see wakeboarding grow (more/longer grabs, lofty spins, etc.) Not to take anything away from Danny, but Sharpe's ability to grab through both backrolls really seals the deal for me...congrats Danny though, def. pushin the limits...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
ahhh...here we go...

Congrats Danny for being the first..... again!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
super super sick...i love the fact that Parks hopped off the back of the boat while it was still on plane...hahahaha

indy dbl back a more legit ???? what have you done to progress the sport this year?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-16-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
snowboarders are gonna start getting jealous...
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
jr- "indy dbl back a more legit ???? what have you done to progress the sport this year?"

What have I done? well, I haven't made jerk-off comments on Wakeworld just for the sake of an argument, so that counts for something. what are you, 12?

How about coached dozens of riders on their way to learning the fundamentals of our sport? or maybe MC'ing the Canadian Nationals as well as giving many visiting riders a place to stay for the weekend...or building rails/sliders weeks in advance on my own time...kicked back with my family on the boat, felt the stoke,was a veteran ambassador to our sport and its athletes, always spotting a legit grab before I spun... thats just off the top of my head...thats what i've done to progress the sport this year. and in my opinion, chad's dbl. roll shows control, composure, style, amplitude, and execution. Harfs 1260 is f'in nuts, nuthin but respect for it, but
i still like the GRABBED dbl. roll...so take it easy, junior.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Insert "owned" graphic here...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
haha...i've read lots of your jerk off comments on WW this year so thats out the door....

i thought this thread was about harf stompin a 1260...not ab if you thought chads dbl back was more LEGIT...

ohh and i did my first wake to wake earlier this summer so HA
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
i like how you positioned your comment before mine for effect dave...nice touch
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
actually, Erik Jernberg first mentioned the ts dbl. roll, and i was just further commenting on that topic. everyone knows the 1260 won trick of the year, so i guess the pop. opinion is against me. i just think that the 1260 was a little bit "hucked" and the landing was obviously not the greatest...(its still a sick trick, but the folks over at alliance actually back-tracked on Rustys bs9 because of his landing...)What if someone lands a cleaner, fluid 1260 next season? will it be our trick of the year 2 yrs in a row? its a discussion board man, discuss.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
At it again, are you Derek?? Lol
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
ohh well i missed Erik's reply...you got me...i guess i should've asked him what he's done for the sport instead...

i have a hard time imagining how someone who has landed multiple variations of a 10 and stuck the ONLY 12 EVER "hucked" anything. no doubt chads indy dbl back was smooth, super smooth.

i dont know ab the same trick winning 2 years in a row. sounds strange to me.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
It's good to be the king!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
HAHAH...
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
not really Chris, just discussing. Don't you worry ol' pal, you will always be public enemy number 1 on Wakeworld...until Umali Sr. comes back i guess someone needs to play the devils advocate. What do you think Chris? huge, hucked 1260 w/ a sketch landing..OR...smooth, controlled, grabbed ts dbl. back with a flawless landing?? I'm a spin to win kinda guy and i still like the dbl. roll better...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
It is a discussion board. If you don't think it's that great, by all means, you can say that, but why compare it to something else? Especially a trick that is completely different.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
um, comparisons are a pretty large part of discussions...and the 1260 won trick of the year, over the ts dbl roll and various others...you wouldn't talk about the Superbowl and only mention one competitor. Same idea applies here. I value the opinions of others, and thats is what I am seeking. Not here to argue, just converse.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
ts double was sick!!! but in comparison to the ts 12... i'll have to go with the 12

the double roll was grabbed and clean, the fact that chad grabbed indy is cool (but keep in mind that grabbing indy also aids in rotation). props to chad

but a ts 12 is just pure insanity. was it a perfect landing.no. was it still legit. imo yes. far more harder considering how many handlepasses are involved and imo it looked bigger aswell.

thats just my 2 cents
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Chad's double roll won last year I'm pretty sure. It wasn't a nominee in 2008.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Dave,
I had no idea! guess we can put this one to rest..i thought that it was in the running this year, and if it won last year over a few 1080's then i guess I've made my point. Thanks for the clarification
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
We have a winner
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
wow how are people on here hating on a trick that is the sickest landed to date. and then comparing it to another trick that is completely different and having no idea when it was landed is hilarious. just share the stoke with everyone else if you didnt like it then dont comment.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
who's hating? seriously have never seen so many pessimists in my life...read the posts, dummy. do you know when Chad landed his ts dbl. backroll? i don't. I thought it was in 2008...guess not. big deal. i thoght Harfs 1260 was unreal, just like everyone else...and how can we talk about trick of the year w/o comparison...wow...get a problem man.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
yea chad landed the double back like a week before the suff expo last year. i wasnt exactly talking about you but since you took offense you obviously feel like i was. no need to call me a dummy. i am just saying this was a thread to share the stoke, if you want to compare it to past tricks of the year then start a new thread. danny won trick of the year two years ago with a switch heel 1080 and then chad won last year with the toe indy double back and now danny blew everyone out of the water with the 12. so dont be a smartass acting like i dont know what is going on. oh yea i love in your earlier post you said "I haven't made jerk-off comments on Wakeworld" well buddy you made a jerk off comment by calling me a dummy and assuming i dont know what is going on in the world of wakeboarding. well if you are gonna start arguing with people about tricks or anything related to wakeboarding get all of your facts straight before you comment.

(Message edited by jsweat on September 16, 2008)
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-16-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
this is getting interesting......

let me throw this one out there.. How long until we see the next one??? Parks threw the first 10 years before the next one was landed, will the 12 pose the same trouble for the riders or do you guys think they are gonna start throwing consistent 12's soon??
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-16-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
12's will happen sooner than it took the 10 to happen again....parks is a freak, but people are catching up.

w2w 10's are coming reaaaal soon too
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
i think that rathy will have a switch heel 12 down in a few months. on the youtube video he posted and then quickly removed of him landing 2 10s in one set, the second 10 he landed was completed a few feet above the water. he may have had time to take it to 12. like i have said before it is mainly a mental game all of these guys have the physical ability to go out there and land any number of tricks. now that one has been landed and everyone knows it can be done people will be trying them left and right. i think rathy and danny will both land a switch heel 12 within a year and i think bad smeele will land a regular toe 12. word on the street is that smeele has been trying them and coming pretty close to landing. i dont know if they will be consistent but i think that those three guys will probably be the only three to land it. in my opinion i dont see rusty landing it, he has the 10 stomped but i just dont think he has the time to take it to 12. all of his 10s are landed blind and he muscles through to land them. but who knows rusty could be the next to land it.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
oh yeah i almost forgot like nick said about the w2w 10s, i think bryan hutton will be the first to land that. he may be another person to add to the 12 list as well that kid spins like crazy
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-16-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Soven's really close to landing a W2W 10.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
really i wouldnt doubt it he had the crow 7 stomped and that is like an ole 10. has he been trying them off the double up?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
i think that's what move of the year will be next year...w2w 10.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
"Soven's really close to landing a W2W 10"

I knew somethin had to be up!! anyways, I was just wondering if theres any footage from the boat, I've never considered danny's spins to be sketchy, seems to me that the only reason the landing was "sketchy" is becasue the ONE board has no spine because it's supposed to land with speed, BUT, that was a huge Double up, he came straight down, he landed a legitamate 1260, he didn't under-rotate at all. no best trick of 08 nominee had better general composition [imo] than the crow seven, it was so rediculously clean, however, a 12 is so rediculously insane, and i think that from a different point of view we will be able to appreciate just how clean the 12 was.

jr., "ohh and i did my first wake to wake earlier this summer so HA" congrats on your accomplishment, but, the timing with that comment made you seem really petty.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
Hahaha. The internet is funny.
Old     (rekyn1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
the fact that he landed a 12 is amazing, from a physics perspective at the very least, no doubt. it's obvious that everyone has a different opinion on what they'd like to see; and it's more than awkward to watch the argument between which is better, like anyone will ever change their minds based on someone else's quasi-logic.

i have always shrugged off when people said "i'd rather see a big, slow, grabbed bs 180 than <insert>," but personally, i think i'm starting to agree......and poke it out while you're hanging up there please.

asking for someone to settle on what they'd rather see based on your opinion is not all too dissimilar than asking derek if he prefers ear to mouth, or vice versa. you're never going to get a clear answer. and no one cares in the end anyhow, less the person being challenged to change how he/she feels.

OH OH and i almost forgot - i'm really important to the industry, i work for someone really important, i know alot of people that are pros and talk to them every day. i'm a nasty rider, my truck is huge and my boat has tribal tat graphics on the side and horn speakers you can hear at 100'. PM me if you want to shred it.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
i think the reason for the whole wait after parks stomped the first 10...was because parks was far ahead of anyone at that time. then he got hurt.

it just took some time for the younger guys to step up to the level he was at. and now theres a large group of guys pushing eachother. so i think the 12 will happen again. i dont know about this year. but my guess is that we surely wont have to wait any longer than 3 years to see another one

the next 12 obviously could be done by anyone. my opinion... rusty. seems like everyone draws back to the video of him landing a sketchy 10, but there's no doubt he has landed many clean 10s, and he does have room to rotate more

just my 2 cents
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
Am I an idiot for thinking this is not that big of a deal. With the amount of time these guys have had left on their toe 10's and no additional handle-pass needed to complete the 12, I guess I'm just not that surprised. Don't get me wrong, still very, very cool, I'm just not that surprised.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
it was supposed to be a petty comment. it's hard to get across sarcasm on the net.....

Harf's the man
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
jr, ok, just checkin....

"the next 12 obviously could be done by anyone. my opinion... rusty."

I agree that it could be done by anyone, but don't you think that because rusty lands his 10's blind he may be a little futher behind in the running for next 12?
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Second that "jsweat" Hutton is my choice for the first one to land a w2w 1080. I watched him ride in person last summer. His first two tricks were a w2w heel 7 and a switch w2w heel 7. REDICULOUS! Back to the point though. Congrats Danny I bet you could ride that ufo thing at the fair that spins like 100mph and not even get sick. Props man props
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-18-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
not at all. he's landed the most 10s out of anyone in the sport. he's probably landed more 10s than everyone else combined.

when i watch brad smeele's 10. i dont think he's any closer to a 12 on the fact that both he and rusty do the last handle pass after they land. i actually see that rusty has landed some smoother and gets the last handle pass around a lil faster

brad smeele-

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jPTILpFl_XQ

rusty- (watch the last clip on rust's section)

http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=813&title=Mastercraft_Team_ Riders

the 10 rusty threw on the wake show was a lil sloppy but huge and the rotation looked real slow

am i doubting brad smeele will land the next one. no. i just think rusty has a better shot. just my 2 cents
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-18-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
does anybody have a good quality video of this 1260??
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
rathy will be the next to land a 12. unless danny lands some other variation first
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-19-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
We will have it up soon. Danny and Fox are cutting something together with a little commentary from Danny, so as soon as they get done with that, we'll put it up.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
thanks dave.

water dork, I'd say it will be more difficult for someone doing a t/s variation compared to a heelside variation, I'm thinkin rathy would be fairly close, but I don't think I'll underestimate rusty ever again, a back 9 is impressive...

Rusty has quantity, but danny, rathy, smeele, all have him beat on qaulity, he deserves respect for it, but I'd still say the best 10 has been danny's. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRucuZXxLk] especially considering he didn't origionally intend to land a 10.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-19-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
who will be the first to land a t/s b/s 9?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
shane.^^
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-19-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
ts and hs variations... thats different for everyone, but i seem to see more people throwing ts 5s as opposed to heelside 5. same goes for 9 and i imagine it will be the same for a 12.

quality. again thats a matter of opinion. for the ts 10... imo theres no doubt rusty did it the best in that mastercraft teaser i posted.

danny's hs 10 was sick, but i think i like aarons hs 10 better.

ts bs 9. i used to think shane, but i now think danny. he seems more controlled and seems like he has more room to rotate before he lands.

those are just my guesses
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2008, 1:15 AM Reply   
man everyone gets uptight on this board. i agree with derek. it's a discussion board.

to who ever commented that " snowboarders are gonna start getting jealous"..... i dont know one snow vid that would use a trick of someone landing a trick on their back and washing it out.... i used to see it in 80's neon ski videos... but progression doesnt allow it to be rewarded anymore.

props to danny for pushing the sport but i am skeptical on "move of the year"

if everything was so secret... who voted it as move of the year. if it was landed the week before or of expo..... david as a voting member did you choose the 1260?

who will be the first person to "stomp" a 1260? stomp meaning clean and not sketch.

again not to take away from danny... but if his first 1080 looked like that.... would it have gotten the hype this did? or would have he kept on trying them?

(Message edited by adam_balon on September 20, 2008)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-20-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
To all you keyboard cowboys, how about focusing on the fact that our sport has progressed more in one season than it has in many years. It always amazes me how critical people are when hiding behind their computer monitors. Go take a set.....
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
no need to take shots. i am not a keyboard cowboy... i ride all the time. no one is hiding behind their keyboard.... my name is listed.. contact me at any time.

as a rider, retailer and customer of these people's product and the brands they represent... i am able to voice my opinion and view.

i chime in on this board from time to time... and yes the sport has progressed.

if you read my post above.... it will be nice to see the sport progress to the point of solidly landed tricks, grabs all the way through the tricks... etc. we have seen some bangin 1080's, rusty's back 9... which in my mind is the trick of the year.

go take a set steve......
Old     (bcm88)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
"it will be nice to see the sport progress to the point of solidly landed tricks, grabs all the way through the tricks..." Well it was the first time the 12 has been landed. Can we cut him a little slack for the butt check. Thats why its called progression...... Cause it takes time to get things to that point. Congrats Danny. Mind is blown.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-20-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
I'm with Steven. This thread is about the progression of our sport, and everyone should appreciate that! Yeah, it may not have been a real clean landing but.... perfection is something that comes with time. It's not something you should expect to see the very first time someone lands something, or learns something. This thread isn't about big grabbed backside 180s. Obviously everyone appreciates those! True wakeboarders should appreciate all aspects of the sport, whether that be: style, or technicality, etc. Yeah obviously everyone has their preferences as to what they'd rather see.. but appreciate this for what it is! There's a time and place for everything else. When I land my first 7, I won't give a damn as to whether it was perfect or not.

I'm glad to see that Danny was the first one to stick it. 300+ tries over a 3-week span. That guy is dedicated!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I cant believe anyone even broght up that he didnt land clean. IT WAS A FREAKIN 1260 WHO CARES HOW THE **** HE LANDED IT! GET OVER IT! Congrats for like the 3rd time danny. Who cares about haters when you can land a 1260.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
And sorry backside 9 over a 1260?????!!!!! Wow, agreed everyone has there opinion and heres mine. Focus more on your riding than giving opinions. You may be better off and no offense Adam dont get your blood pressure up or anything. Just saying, how do you compare a 9 to a 1260 even if it is backside.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
i think a bs 9 can be compared to a 12. the 12 was obviously more rotation but it was also easier to spin fs as opposed to bs.

my personal preference, i'd rather see a ts 12.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
exactly. my blood pressure is great... i was at the doctors office a few weeks ago. so dont sweat.

this tread is getting away from the topic at hand.... but yes a 12 and a b/s 9 can be compared. 2 totally different tricks... two super hard tricks.

it is progression. just what type of progression do you want to see? there will always be tricks landed for the first time... my point is... at what quality do we see them from our favorite riders and in the media?

(Message edited by adam_balon on September 20, 2008)
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
dont hate... just discuss. it is an open board.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Adam im just givin ya a hard time. Dont take it personal, agree to disagree and like you said its an open board. I think what bothered me most was that everytime someone lands a new trick that is unbelievable somebody finds a way to take credibility out of it. Not saying you said this in the exact words but example, "ya danny landed a 12 but it wasnt clean". Those kinds of comments are what I sincerely disagree on, but not everyones going to see it in the same light. Thats what makes this world great. Were all different and when somebody lands a new trick I dont care if it was a sloppy landing. Its a new trick and there plenty of time to perfect it as Im sure Danny will try.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
waterdork when someone lands a bs 10 then you can compare it to a 12 but until then a bs 9 can only be compared to a 10 not a 12.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-20-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
is that so? you arent allowed to compare a 12 to a BS 9? it must be against the law
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
jeremy, i can compare a grabbed bs 180 to a 1260 if i want to

i see where you are going with a bs 10 and fs 12...but you can also look at it as theres only one guy that can do a bs 9 and theres only one guy that can do a ts 12.

and even though its never been done, we could also debate a bs 10 being easier than a bs 9
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
jeremy, i can compare a grabbed bs 180 to a 1260 if i want to
Me too. --JZ
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
i love how i get flamed for saying that. what i was saying is a bs 9 has the same amount of handle passes as a ts fs 10 and a bs 10 has the same amount of handle passes as a ts fs 12.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-22-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I did take a set Adam and had a great time. I was discussing the fact that this thread sucks. Not specifically your posts but you obviously thought I was directing it at you. If the shoe fits.... We're all reading this thread and laughing at the fact that people on here don't appreciate what happened to our sport this year. They would rather sit online and criticize tricks that they'll never come close to landing themselves.

Good luck with that.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-22-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Nicely worder Hahn!
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
i may not be landing back 9's, 10's or 1260's. but rode all weekend and had a great time. i appreciate what happened with wakeboarding steven... like i mentioned above.. the nice thing about a board is to discuss and not hate. i am asking questions to open up discussion.

keep shooting. good luck with that!

done.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-22-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Adam, just to comment on move of the year, It's a small, select group that votes on it. For sure this year they took a greater sampling of opinions for wakeskate move of the year (I'm not sure about the wakeboarding MOTY because I'm not as involved with that), but when it comes down to it, It's a small, knowledgable group of people that vote on it.

I think the coolest part about danny making this move is all of the work it took from a lot of people in order to make it happen. danny said something there about how he was talking to daniel watkins and he mentioned everything you need to make it happen, including chase boat drivers, photogs, etc. and daniel was like, whatever you need, I'll always be here to help (something to that effect).

And then just to have all of the pointless dudes all together again...I just think it was amazing and it gave me a really good feeling. It was a team effort, and I think it's a good thing.

(Message edited by electricsnow on September 22, 2008)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-22-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
It's funny about Danny's speech and how it is a reflection on where our sport is now and where it has come from. Back in the day those Dudes would have just tried to throw down and didn't need a crew of people, a chase boat, photographers, video folks, etc. to give it a go. I guess it's all about the exposure and money these days. You don't hear of these guys trying to throw these new tricks down unless it's in front of a camera. Sad but I understand.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
why sad eubanks? there's hearsay all of the time ab so and so's getting close to sticking this or that new move. i think it's dope that danny realizes that without all of those other people there there's no way he could have landed the 12. someone had to drive the boat, someone had to film, and the OG Pointless Crew was there pushig him. He needed all of those people. I'm sure that's what made it special to Danny.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-22-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Right on Eubanks...there are only a few tru ballers out there, like Byerly was in the day, who are stomping hammers without being worried about getting some footy for the masses to gawk at.

I'm not some "keep it underground" hippie who thinks its bad for the sport or anything...I think media is doing wonders for the innovation of the sport and its products...just providing an observation.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-22-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
JR - He "needed" a chase boat and all those people to land a new trick?? I'm sure the encouragement from his boys definitley helped him mentally, but in reality, he only needed somebody to drive the boat. I wasn't hating on him or the new trick...just saying it is different times for our little sport. I guess that is a good thing in that it has come a long way. People don't just throw new tricks for themselves anymore...they need the camera there for the recognition and video section in the next wake flick.

Luker - Exactly what I was saying. I was just making an observation.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-22-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
I see what Eubanks is saying, Yeah he needed the boat, and his crew pushing him is great but, the chase boat and all the cameras? He didn't NEED those to LAND it. He needed those to doc the FIRST one. That's where it get's frustrating that it doesn't just go down in a Thursday afternoon set with his hommies. But on the other side our sport would get no coverage if these things weren't documented, because the average person and the average wakeboarder doesn't really care about what happens at the pro level. That's why this is still such a small industry as a whole, There is no exposure.

BUT, that intimacy also makes this sport great. Everyone that cares to be a big part of it can be a big part of it. Its a great thing to be involved with.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with eubanks. i understand a chase boat and 30 other people is not essential to the move itself but to this particular situation it WAS and i think that's what he was getting at. Maybe i just worded it wrong.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Adam, so you are saying that because it wasn't stomped perfectly clean the 1260 is outdone by Rusty's BS 9?

The only video I can find of the BS 9 sure doesn't look stomped to me, it looks way sketchy even compared to Danny's 12. Are you seeing something different than I am? Perhaps the Saskatchewan pride is running too strong?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
"Perhaps the Saskatchewan pride is running too strong?"

sorry but that is funny.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-22-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
as for comparing back nines to twelves... they don't compare. watch one of rusty's ten's, then watch his back nine. Same trick, he's just coming in with the first 180 already done. Now a heel back ten, there you have a trick that stacks up to a ts 12.

as for toe back nine's...definitely not going to be a flat spin like shane's seven. check out danny's in drive. if anyone is going to do that trick, it'll be him, and it'll be off-axis for sure. But i think if he can throw a late grab on a toe back seven the first time he ever did it, and land it clean as anything, with as much determination as he had on the twelve, he can definitely do it if he sets his sights on that trick
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-22-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
i disagree. its not "the same trick". it is similar (and i see what youre talking about). but its still a different trick.

and again, i see where youre going with the bs 10 and ts 12.

but if we take it to a much smaller level

its like comparing a bs 180, a bs 3, or a ts 5.
each one is difficult in its own right.

(example- just because you can do a ts 5, doesnt mean you can do a bs 3 or bs 180)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Rusty stomp the back 9? I'm sorry, but I am yet to see rusty stomp a large spin, i.e. b/s 9, f/s 10, but that's fine! a backside nine is a crazy trick, even a frontside 9 is a crazy trick, and I bow to him for landing it. Progression comes in the form of baby steps. the only new [08] tricks that were stomped 100% clean were, [in my opinion]:

sovens 2 skeezer 7s,
Rathy's KGB 5,
Dean's KGB 5.

(Message edited by hawk7 on September 22, 2008)
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
i WAS done with this..... but....

yea i know rusty... but it doesnt have anything to do with saskatchewan pride. stoked for him, danny and all the others pushing riding. i think it's a badass move because it is so much harder to spin and keep your composure rotating backside than frontside.