Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (jsc1010)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I posted this on the girls site with no luck...Maybe you guys can help.
I am 6 foot tall and weigh 160 lbs. I am tall but not heavy. The girls boards suck and the mens boards that I have tied I dont weigh down enough. Any Suggestions?
I started riding in High school (every weekend for about 3 years) I just started back and it has been 8 years until last summer. I am not a beginner but then again I am just getting back into it.
Thanks Guys!
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Normally the type of board you choose is based off weight, not height. I would go with about a 132 or 134 board depending on the board. You should be fine with either in my opinion. The smaller boards will obviously be easier to weigh down but the bigger board will have a softer landing and a little smoother ride
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
132 to 134 for someone that weighs 160? Sorry Brandon, I'm going to have to totally disagree with you on that. I weigh about 160 and sometimes wonder if a 142 would be better for me than my 139?

Love, I'd go with a 138-140ish board. Can you demo? If so, I'd demo a variety of boards in that size category. Personally I think the O'brien Natural is one of the best boards ever made. Very user friendly but also has amazing pop and tracking and is easy to break loose when you want it to. But everyone on here has their personal favorite based on which brand they prefer. That's why I say demo. Good luck!

(Message edited by joshugan on January 16, 2008)
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
So you think she would weigh down a 140? I am 162lbs myself and have been riding a 134 substance for about 3 years. She has already said that the other mens boards she has tried she can't weigh them down and you are throwing a 140 at her! I guess everyone has there opinion on things though! As you will find out a lot on here. It's hard to get straight answers that go along with each other!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hmmm . . . maybe the tallness changes things around? I've just noticed that even short girls or guys, like Dallas Friday or Shawn Murray usually ride bigger boards in the high 130s range.

But maybe you're right Brandon. Love, Maybe look at what the most popular guys boards are and they almost always make one in a mid 130s range, like Brandon's Substance 134. The Natural comes in a 134 I believe.

Here's a quick list:

CWB:
Transcend
Absolute

LF:
(So many good boards)
Witness
Substance
Watson
Shane
Etc.

Hyperlite:
Era
3ds (now Apex?)
Premier

O'Brien:
Natural
Cartel (now Coda or for girls it's the Skyla)

Slingshot:
(any)
Old     (jsc1010)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
I ride my friends 141 and it sits on the top of the water and is very unstable slippin and sliddin everywhere. It is the worst riding experience ever!
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
everyone has there opinion Josh! I guess it's hard for either of us to decide anything from a girls point of view! Like Josh said, demo and see what you like best, you have tried the 141 and hate it so go smaller and work yur way down!
Old     (jsc1010)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
ok, thank you Brandon and Josh!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
What was the 141? An unstable board is probably due more to the board design than the size. Some people prefer really loose riding boards so the manufacturers make some that way.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-16-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
My daughter rode the c-dub sapphire last year and switched to a Marius 134 this year. I am not saying to get a Marius but she got ride to a couple different ones before buying. I paid more from my local shop for the Marius, but the demo was well worth the money. I think all the boards are pretty equal but demo each to find out which will work best for you. I know there has to be some local shops in NC.
Old     (jsc1010)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-17-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Josh, it is a CWB Sol 141
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-17-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Demo a CWB Sapphire 140cm, its a girls board that does NOT suck.

http://www.cwbwakeboards.com/index.php?mod=boards_detail&id_ser=5&id_prd=26