Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-12-2012, 5:25 AM Reply   
My finace wants an iPad but i think these are way over priced for the value in return. Does anyone out there have an android tablet the really like or can recommend an affordable tablet that is good value for the money
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Bought my wife a Kindle Fire for Valentines Day. ($200)

Pretty cool toy. She has an Amazon Prime account so that makes most games free, tons of free videos (tv shows, movies) and it supports android apps. The wifi works great, video quality is really good. It's a little slower than an i-pad but I can deal with that.

It could have better built in speakers but for the size of the thing that are ok.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
For whatever it is worth.... I just bought my wife her first tablet. Was down to the ASUS Transformer Prime & the New iPad. All things being equal(cNet reviews), I went with the iPad because of track record I guess. Could not be more happy and probably play on it more than my wife. Worth every penny.

You can get the iPad 2 pretty cheap now, no?
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-12-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Same as above with the Kindle. I think it's great for the price. You can't beat it. I personally woudn't have much use for tablet as anything more than I'd use the kindle for, I'd rather just use a regular laptop, which can do more than a tablet.
Old    alanp            04-12-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
i have a galaxy(android 3.0 based tablet). ive had it for a year and a half now. i love it and use it all the time(reading, navigation, games, music, and all kinds of apps i use regularly). a kindle wouldnt work for me bc its only wifi. so alot of the uses for the tablet wouldnt be available w/ just wifi. i also didnt want a huge 10" screen but thats personal preference. the apple tablets look sharp but they didnt have flash which is a limiting factor(dont know if they do now). also i dont own any apple products and have never been overly impressed with anything they produce, too much proprietary software imo. my only issue with my galaxy is that there is no usb port but the new galaxy's have a usb port.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-12-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Keep in mind who it's for and what her ecosystem is. If all her friends have iphones/ipads etc that's what you'll want to get her. If you can live with the limitations of the Fire then that is a great way to go to save a little money. I can't recommend any android device for a non-geek/savvy user.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-12-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
I agree with what Pesos said.

refurbished iPads from the Apple website start at $400.

If you're looking to spend less than this then I would suggest a 7" tablet. There's obviously the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet in the $200ish price range, but if you can spare an extra $50 you might check out the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. It's a 7" tablet, but it's got access to all the Google apps, a GPS unit, an IR blaster, etc. This would definitely be much more usable device than a KF or NT if you're looking for a portable, all-purpose type of unit...but if you're just going to sit around and read/watch stuff from the Amazon Market then maybe not so much.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       04-12-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Been looking at this tablet similar screen set up as Ipad but android os. Priced at $279.00 Is this a too good to be true tablet?

http://www.lepantab.com/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-12-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I have the original iPad and it's piece of junk.
Old    alanp            04-12-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
john you just made me laugh
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-12-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
If I had a dollar for every time a client has asked me "why can't my android _____ do that?" and I've had to say:

1) there is no android version of that app
or
2) the android version of that app doesn't offer that feature yet

then I could buy a couple more ipads.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2012, 1:42 AM Reply   
Wes are you talking about your IT/work-oriented apps, or just general usage/fun stuff?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
I have a kindle fire, not overly impressed. I'd rather use my phone to surf the internet. I use it more as a storage device than anything. for some reason you can't click on links when you google something.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-13-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
both...
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
http://www.wimp.com/dadipad

Another use for the thing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2012, 6:23 AM Reply   
Asus Transformer is great.... I also have a Archos 101x which out of the box we awful, but after rooting it, it has become my go-to tablet... although 90% of my use is as a couch buddy, bathroom buddy, or to pull content from a HTPC to TVs around the house.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-16-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/16/...249-299-in-q3/