Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Was looking at the Humanoid Plank for the cable? Curious if anyone rides this board? What's it like compared to other park boards or flex boards?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-23-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
The Plank is a beast of a board (a lot of surface area) and fairly indestructable. I am primarily a boat rider, but can hold my own at the cable park and park that was the main purpose for this board.

On rails rails this board is nicely quick and the base and edges take impact well. It is a board that starts pretty firm, but breaks in fairly quickly. After a few trips to the park it would bend quite well. It's flex could be compared to any of the new slingshots.

For air tricks, it was a bit slower than most(Accelerated Continuous rockline). It was about as quick as witness (LF) and really did well at quick loads and pop.

Hopefully, this is helpful.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-24-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Plank at WakeNation. Not me.........but a friend.

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-25-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
I am/was interested in that board too. I was also interested in The Oracle.
I am ALSO interested in companies like Humanoid in general but you know what?
Quote:
Don’t let the easy going vibe fool you. Revamped and retooled for 2011, the Oracle returns with a killer instinct. Smash rail, bomb drops and drop bombs – all in a day’s work. We supercharged the specs, dialed in the contours, and loaded it with intelligent schape goodies. The Oracle is a straight up quiver killer.
Know what? I am 35. I've been riding since I was like 16 freaking years old so I am old but not stupid about this sport. That description is f*****g idiotic. Give a real description if you expect your company to be taken seriously by people like me who could potentially switch to you from an entire career on Liquid Force. I am sorry to be a snot but for real. Hire a copywriter that isn't from Jupiter and can provide a description on which I can base a buying decision for God's sake. "loaded it with intelligent schape goodies". "schape? "**** outta here, guys

Liquid Force's description of what I assume is a similar board in Witness Grind:
Quote:
Rider tested, rider approved! The Witness Grind is put to the test, day in and day out. All Liquid Force Cable Parks feature the Witness Grind within their demo fleets, and they put them to the test. Sliders, kickers, rocks, cement, etc.; this board has seen it all. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more. Whether you like air tricks in the corners or hitting your favorite table top down the back stretch, the Witness Grind will take you there!
Makes a little bit more sense doesn't it.

Make your boards cool and make your descriptions clear. Not the reverse. Sorry to be a bitch. I really am but that style of writing is so dated and stupid in my opinion and Humanoid could be a huge deal in our sport.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 04-25-2012 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-25-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post

Know what? I am 35. I've been riding since I was like 16 freaking years old so I am old but not stupid about this sport. That description is f*****g idiotic. Give a real description if you expect your company to be taken seriously by people like me who could potentially switch to you from an entire career on Liquid Force. I am sorry to be a snot but for real. Hire a copywriter that isn't from Jupiter and can provide a description on which I can base a buying decision for God's sake. "loaded it with intelligent schape goodies". "schape? "**** outta here, guys

Liquid Force's description of what I assume is a similar board in Witness Grind:

Make your boards cool and make your descriptions clear. Not the reverse. Sorry to be a bitch. I really am but that style of writing is so dated and stupid in my opinion and Humanoid could be a huge deal in our sport.
If you are interested in an innovative company outside of kent sports umbrella, slingshot all the way.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-26-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Yeah so I've been a bit confused on the plank being foam or wood. I've seen humanoid ads that say foam blows but then in alliances gear guide it says that the plank is foam cored. Is this just a mess up on alliances part? Oh the graphics on the plank are my fav graphics of 2012!
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-26-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
I also saw bob sichel doing double rolls at odub on the plank!!!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:

I find it ironic you have issues with the description, yet choose to use the phrase "for real."

I don't think the written descriptions are keeping Humanoid from being a huge deal, budget and Kent trying to run everyone out of business does. We are talking about wakeboarding, right? Have you heard how most of the pros talk? I guess I don't see the big deal. At 30, its not my favorite description either, but then we probably lie outside the target audience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
If you are interested in an innovative company outside of kent sports umbrella, slingshot all the way.
I would love to see the fit you would throw if someone posted "If you are interested in an innovative company outside of kent sports umbrella, Humanoid all the way" in a Slingshot thread...
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-26-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Logan, I'm interested in a NON innovative company outside the Kent umbrella. Maybee something that's built with integrity. Where should I look? Lol j/k. Long live humanoid!!!
Old    terrybailey10            04-26-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
I really like it on rails more surface area + more control and softer landings!! Look for new website and the 2012 plank with wider stances up to 26 in.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-27-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I find it ironic you have issues with the description, yet choose to use the phrase "for real."

I don't think the written descriptions are keeping Humanoid from being a huge deal, budget and Kent trying to run everyone out of business does. We are talking about wakeboarding, right? Have you heard how most of the pros talk? I guess I don't see the big deal. At 30, its not my favorite description either, but then we probably lie outside the target audience...

I would love to see the fit you would throw if someone posted "If you are interested in an innovative company outside of kent sports umbrella, Humanoid all the way" in a Slingshot thread...
Are you serious fella? I absolutely made it clear I am interested in companies like them. Specifically them. Yeah, while I think that Jimmy Redmond is the best shaper the sport has ever seen, and has certainly made my riding experience better, I really love the new companies and what they are up to. As for your comment - I had it coming. But not so much in my grammar but in my general bitchiness. Maybe I was kwanky when I wrote it but I still believe that all to be true. Early on, Ronix actually bugged me with the sky-high stoner-written sounding ethereal "epic water wonderland" stuff and some of their earlier marketing material but for the most part they've come correct. For a living, I look at badly written marketing material almost all day long with some clients. And while it isn't my job exactly to say much about it... but more to work code around it... I end up usually saying something. Like I did here.

After all, this is just one bitchy sounding guy's opinion.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-25-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
I liked the oracle a lil better than the plank. They are both close to indestuctable but the plank is foam core and the oracle is woodcore. Both are tanks and affordable. I'm glad humanoid is still around. Kyle scmidtt is the man!
Old     (Kjkimball)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-25-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Eric,

Schapes is how Humanoid spells the name of the board designer and shaper, Kyle Schmidt. On the boards and on the website you can find the Schapes logo noting this.

Joe, I am certain the plank is wood core not foam. All the Humanoid wake boards are wood core compression molded boards while the surfers are foam.

There is a new Humanoid board too called the One Up. My son has ridden it and I have seen Kyle ride it. Pretty nice and O'shea will be on this one soon with his graphics on it according to info on the Humanoid site.

My understanding is there are lots of exciting things to come from Humanoid. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Does Humanoid still do custom graphics?
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-26-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Wow those graphics are sick, when is the 2012 plank available?
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
I especially like the base graphic.
I rode the Plank all of last Summer at the park. I really liked riding it I'm thinking of changing up to something a bit quicker. On that note, Humanoid has made a few changes to the side cut to speed it up. I would like to try out the new model.
Anyone want to buy a 2011 Plank?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-27-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Are you serious fella? I absolutely made it clear I am interested in companies like them. Specifically them. Yeah, while I think that Jimmy Redmond is the best shaper the sport has ever seen, and has certainly made my riding experience better, I really love the new companies and what they are up to. As for your comment - I had it coming. But not so much in my grammar but in my general bitchiness. Maybe I was kwanky when I wrote it but I still believe that all to be true. Early on, Ronix actually bugged me with the sky-high stoner-written sounding ethereal "epic water wonderland" stuff and some of their earlier marketing material but for the most part they've come correct. For a living, I look at badly written marketing material almost all day long with some clients. And while it isn't my job exactly to say much about it... but more to work code around it... I end up usually saying something. Like I did here.

After all, this is just one bitchy sounding guy's opinion.
I was just poking some fun at you with the "for real" comment. I think we are on the same page with this one, the only difference being I didn't let it effect me trying their products. As an engineer, it pains me more to listen to the Ronix guys try to describe the new technical aspects of a product. (Like a 5 year old discussing politics) It did not stop me though from buying One bindings. It is all relative, hopefully my post didn't cause you too much grief, that was not my intentions.

Now the second part directed at the Slingshot fanboy, that was meant to cause grief...