Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Maybe not thee scariest but it was definitely up there.

Today I was getting the boat ready for some people to go out wakeboarding. Before everyone was at my house, my friend and I decided to take it out for a little spin and just see how the conditions were. We were idling until I decided to get some speed and I throttled it. As I tried to slow down and make a turn I realized the throttle was stuck in a high gear. When i tried to pull it down the engine would start grinding and it wouldn't move. So me and my friend just start freaking out on what to do so we are flying around in circles flippin out and then we realized to hit the ignition switch. I was scared at first since we were going so fast that something might get messed up but I took a turn in order to slow the boat down as much as possible.

The boat stopped fine after that and I finally budged the throttle back to the right spot and turned everything else off. We let it sit for a little and then started it up with the throttle disengaged. Everything ended up being fine and we actually had a great day on the water but this was extremely scary for a 16 year old kid especially since both parents were out.

Just thought i would share, and does anyone have any idea what happened?
Old    walt            06-29-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Good to hear your ok and it worked out. I had the same problem years ago on a street bike but the outcome wasn't as good.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Haha ouch! Glad we can laugh about it though.
Old     (cameronb)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
scary stuff
never experienced anything like that and i hope i never do!
glad you guys are okay!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
Thanks! I am pretty sure everything was a-okay except I had to clean off the seats a little...... hHAA just kidding
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-29-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
mine would be unloading the first I/O we ever owned and trusting the wife to back off and idle around while I parked. I think she went everydirection but the right one and ended up with my 8 yr old driving to the dock..I have NEVER asked her to do the boat or the truck since then.....my life is pretty easy..lol
Old     (markoranovich)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
Just my 2 cents here, but I always have at least one other person on my boat that can actually drive. You never know what can happen. Ever.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-30-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Did you find the problem? Sounds like something is binding or getting into the throttle linkage, probably wires and hoses behind the throttle/shifter lever.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-30-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
I think it was my fault, I gunned it a little too hard and we hit a wave and it just got all messed up.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-30-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
I don't think thats enough to explain what happened. The throttle should never get stuck like that. I wouldn't stop looking for the problem till I knew exactly what caused it.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-30-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
I'm with Lou on that one....find the problem, get it fixed ASAP!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-30-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
Dude, I know the feeling, we were out on our old boat (Dad's boat) with a 140 outboard. I'd just put on some sunscreen without wiping off my hands, I went to pull the next rider out. The wheel just slipped through my hands and the boat basically stood on it's side until the motor came out of the water. If I hadn't pulled it out of gear then we'd have been upside down. Not easy to explain something like that, glad you got it sorted and your boat and crew is OK.
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-01-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Those kill switches that have an annoying cable attached to them, that we never look at or worry about unless the boat won't start....

come in handy. nice reminder, thanks - I need to tell my kids who are just learning to drive.