Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (snafu077)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-03-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Not sure if this well include are boats:

There is a bill that the Washington State Legislature is trying to pass in Olympia that, if successful, will directly add huge costs to our vehicle license fees. The bill is SB 6900 and it adds an "engine displacement" fee to the vehicle license tabs upon renewal.

The fee has a varied amount depending on the size of the vehicle's engine:

Engine Size (liters) Rate Schedule:

Up to 1.9 $0
2.0 - 2.9 $70
3.0 - 3.9 $225
4.0 - 4.9 $275
5.0 - 5.9 $325
6.0 - 7.9 $400
8.0 or over $600

For each car & truck that you own, calculate the rate by matching the engine size in liters to the dollar amount. Add the amounts for each vehicle and you'll see that the average two car family will be paying $500+ every year in "displacement fees" on top of the normal license fees. If you have three vehicles, you'll be paying even more. The average family is already struggling with the high cost of gasoline, electricity, food and everything else, and our lawmakers want us to pay more, thinking we have unlimited deep pockets. Now is the time to be very vocal against this bill.

Here's the web page for the bill where you can read the text:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...6900&year=2008
http://www.washingtonvotes.org/2008-SB-6900

Here's the link for contacting your representatives:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

If we don't threaten mass rebellion over this, they'll pass th is bill and we'll be paying huge fees every year on top of their increase in the gas tax. They have to know that we won't stand for any more taxes or increase in licensing fees.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thankfully this bill did not pass in 2008 and so far has not been re-introduced in 2009. Not to say that it won't be.

Good info.

Thanks,
JT
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-03-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Oh but the messiah Obama is fully backing this one, as well as that worthless tool we call a governor here in WA.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
I'll have to agree on the governor bit. How in the world did she get reelected?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-03-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Wa and Or are so liberal it's disgusting.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
I am so glad we are transfering out of this state this summer! Man I thought the Ca goverment was crazy...

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on February 03, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
By fatsac (fatsac) I'll have to agree on the governor bit. How in the world did she get reelected?

One word...... Seattle.

I don't get it either. 99% of the rest of the state is conservative. And yet the liberals win everytime.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-03-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
hey kenny, where you headed?

that displacement tax is ridiculous.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
as of right now its to town called Turlock, about 85 miles south os sacramento
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-04-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
King County nut jobs. Get on the east side of the Cascades and it's like you're in a completely different country.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
This map is pretty telling.

http://philhardwickblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/2008_election_map-counties.jpg

Decided by the large population of west coast lefties in Washington.

JT - who voted red in Pend Oreille County
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
That is a very stupid law, tax the gas, not the engine. This doesn't do nearly enough to discourage consumption compared to increasing the gas tax to generate the same revenue. Morons!
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Ghostrider, good luck in Turlock, I used to live in Fresno, and went to Turlock every once in awhile, NOT A GOOD PLACE! But it was nice meeting you at the boat show.. Good luck.

How she got reelected? NO IDEA!
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
WA state is totally screwed up and Democrats controll everyting, yet the Republican's can't make any election gains. The Republicans need to get their act together.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
HERE is a response I recieved from my state rep.Dear Kevin, Thank you for writing to let me know you are against Senate Bill 6900, establishing vehicle engine displacement and emissions fees. Fortunately, the bill never got out of committee in the 2008 session. However, it could be re-reintroduced with a new number during this session. I do not, cannot, would not, and will not support ideas like this! Please keep this site handy: www.washingtonvotes.org. It's a great site that helps explain the bills, their sponsors and it's easy to navigate. Feel free to pass that info on to your friends. Your interest in your government and your support to fight against such outrageous assaults on our incomes is very much appreciated! Sincerely, Jim McCuneState Representative2nd District Office: (360) 786-7824Fax: (360) 786-1066Hotline (360) 562-6000
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-04-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
California did something similar to this. We pay a "weight tax" on our vehicle registration. On my F-250, it was well over $200 this year. Someday these moron politicians will learn that taxes affect people's behavior. People and businesses leave in order to avoid oppressive taxes. In some cases they revolt, which is why we have this country.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
I just became a huge Jim McCune fan!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
good news for now, thanks for passing that along kevin.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Kenny.....welcome to CA...but be prepared...we have the most jacked up state government in the country...partisan gridlock keeps ANYTHING from happening, good or bad. In fact, as of Feb. 1, we are officially broke, and issuing IOUs instead of checks to many of the folks we owe money to.

Stock up on ammo, kids...it may get ugly here.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-04-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Jim McCune for Governor, get that hag out of there. Wait till we see the crap she's going to pull in the next year, we're headed to be the next cali as far as taxes goes.

My prediction while she's in office. She will try for an income tax, she will try to impose all bridges (floating anyways) will have a toll, she will try and impose insane vehicle registration taxes and fees, she will levy for increased taxes on utilities that people have no choice but to pay, city taxes on cell phone bills will go up etc... Hmmm I wonder if her pay got frozen this year....

Ill got rid of their governor maybe we can to.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-04-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
meathead,
The wife and I are from Sacramento and have only been up here in Wa for 3 years, but as far as we are concerned 3 to many! This state is way more screwed than Ca. Ca is not the only state broke, actually Texas is almost 2x as bad right now. Ca is in 7th place as the most in debt from the most recent info I seen.

Kevin,
Fresno is way ugly, not to be rude but I was stationed for 5 years in Lemoore and nothing anygood happened there. I was gien a choice of Modesto, Turlock, or Merced. Well you know about those places. It was also good to me with you.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Kenny,

I hated Fresno too! LOL
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
WA State currently has a GVWR tax for 2009. They have to pay for the roads somehow. It is like no one can remember that vehicle taxes used to be $200+ prior to Iman's bill that passed reducing them to $35. I will agree though that the current GOV. hasn't done anything to improve WA state in the last 4 years, but they have spent a lot of money talking about it!
Old     (jhuff79)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
I hear it will not make it out of committee this year either. We should keep an eye on it just incase.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Kenny, so what's your beef with WA exactly? Just curious. I haven't lived any where else, so I can't compare, but just curious why you hate it here so bad. Not trying to pest or start a ruckus. Just asking.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
He probably lived in the dirty south... Federal Way or Tacoma, wouldn't blame him there.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
no, if i remember right i think he was near bremerton. right? can't blame him there either.

aside from politics, i think WA rocks
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Bruce that is quite possibly even worse.... I like it here to and have lived other places.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-05-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I think Kenny is/was at the Navy base up in Oak Harbor. I agree with Bruce, WA is great.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
WA gets better the further east you go too! Politics, the weather, the lakes, affordable houses, etc.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Just don't come too far east or you might find that thing we all call sunshine. :-)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
ha ha yeah no doubt eastside native in the house. :-)

lincoln rock, lake entiat, pateros, banks and roosevelt are awesome.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Bruce,
I am up in Oak Harbor. Not to start a flaming war ok..
The weather just sucks, I can't believe how everybody in the state was crying over a little snow this past winter. I mean get real its not that big of an issue to be on the news 24/7. It's snow, its Washington, they go together! People on the roads just don't seem to know how to drive, they say people from Ca can't drive, well they haven't driven here. They tried to tax me for sales tax on my boat that I bought and owned for almost 2 years in Ca when I move here. It took me 2 days of fighting with them and finally they listened to the Dept of Revenue.
I've been to Eastern Wa and yes I agree it like a totally different state than Western Wa, pretty much like you have So Cal and Nor Cal.

A deployed Army mans family is murdered, wife and 2 or 3 children and they won't even consider the death penalty! Now thats B.S.!!

Now I am also not saying everybody in the state is ........ I have made some great friends and met some really cool people. But I have also lived in other states as well so it is easy to compare this state to others, in general of course.

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on February 05, 2009)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
yeah, good points. take care, have a safe move and good luck in cali.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Bruce,
Don't get me wrong Ca is not the greatest thing thing since sliced bread either, it really has the best weather! (Florida is to muggy for me.)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
yeah i hear ya. the older i get the longer the winters seem to last :-)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-06-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Kenny, I agree, with everything you said,the drivers are the WORST anywhere. I agree, we are in the northwest, it flippen snows here, people need to get over it and quit complaining! I did a demo in the snow on Lake Washington in Dec. Who cares! I have lots of family in Calif. I just would never move back to the central valley.. Good luck in your move..
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-06-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I would have love to catch a free ride on a demo in Dec ;)