Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-24-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
I am currently on the 06 murray and am looking at upgrading but i have heard alot of reports on the mana being very slow. So i am asking the question is it slower than the 06 murray? As i wouldnt want to go slower than that.
Old     (jsuds)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-24-2008, 11:27 PM Reply   
not even close, that murray is the slowest board ever made...
Old    thebiggmann            12-25-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have the 07 which is the same shape , and i can't possibly imagine a slower board. Going to my Lyman was like being reborn.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-25-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
So thats 2 for he Mana being faster lol Is anyone able to tell me is the mana locked in when just tracking not on edge? I like the loosness of the murray when tracking straight but want a little more locked in feel on edge.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-25-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
The mana is locked in at all times. It's a really tight board the molded in fins nearly go the length of the board.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-25-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
By the way I love the mana.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-25-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
Darren can you still do surface tricks with the long fins or is that made more difficult?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-26-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I agree that my 06 and 07 shapes where the slowest boards I have had. The 138 had 3.2 inches of rocker, compared to the average 2.7-8. The board has great pop and great landings, but is slower. 08, and 09 is a whole new shape with hybrid rocker, meaning it has more rocker in the center of the tip and tail due to the cupped shape. This allows me to stay with a continuous rocker, which i find more consistent as well as a smoother ride. the edges of the board have the continuous rocker line while the middle of the board from tip to tail has a 3 stage rocker, for the pop off the wake.
I haven't ridden the Mana so i can't say how it compares, but that is the cliff notes version of my shape.
Old    thebiggmann            12-26-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Haha i would kill to trade my 07 in for an 08. Definitely a whole new board.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-26-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
How stable is the 08/09 Murray? it appears to have very small molded in fins.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-26-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Not trying to hijack the thread but are the Mana and Ibex faster than the CWB Marius? I will probably be on both of those boards this year, and I want something a little faster than my Marius.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Chirs, I rode the 08 Murray and it was very stable on edge. It tracked very well. Give the new Murray a shot, it will not let you down.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-26-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
yeah i may have to try and find a place to demo them it may just be the crazy rocker on the 06 the makes it a little harder to get the fins actualy in the water and tracking making it feel loose.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-27-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
new board tracks much better. i ride without removable fins and it is perfect. some people like the lock down of the fins though.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-27-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
09 Murray is sounding very good. If it is faster and tracks a little nicer than the 06 I may end up sticking with hype which i would much prefer have had 3 murrays previous to the 06 and would love to keep with them. Just need to try and find somewhere to demo and will check it out. Shaun how would you compare the speed and tracking to the 06? i find that the 05 is a little faster and tracks better than my 06 would the 09 be above that? Thanks Shaun
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-28-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Chris, very observant on the tracking change. In 06 they changed the base to a PBT, more of a plastic base. Since that material doesn't bend as well as the 05, more of a cloth base material, when they press the board, the plastic base requires a smaller molded in fin to get a good shape, hence doesn't allow the molded in fins to work as well. Yes, i said hence.
They tried to show me the base without telling me about the smaller molded in fins, and it didn't take me 5 seconds to notice the difference. I rode the board with a .7 fin all year and it felt nearly identical to the 05. No big worries.
the 09 is def. faster and I love the tracking without a detachable fin. I want my board to hold a good strong edge for when i want to boot into the flats, but able to release when i want to butter around, as well as be forgiving on the not so perfect landings.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-28-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
forgiving on not so perfect landings! sounds perfect :-) lol thanks for the info Shaun One lalst question regarding to other side of your line up the bindings. What is the arch support like in them? I have heard it is very good. I have looked at alot of bindings and most have either a flat foot bed or a little bump where the arch is i have flat feet so after riding for a day arch support would help with reducing pain in my ankles and knees. Thanks Shaun
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-28-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Chris, I can still do surface tricks on the mana but they don't feel great so now I just ollie or teeter totter it back around.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-29-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Chris, I am riding my 09's and really happy with the improvements since last year. great fit all around. Boots are one of the hardest things to design because everyone has such differently shaped feet. Best way to find out how they work on your foot is to get a ride in some. If you can't arrange that, try to ask around...like you are doing. I'll tell you that the new footbeds are super coosh. The footbed goes all the way through to the board right under your heel and under the ball of your foot to maximize the amount of padding.