Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-04-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
i hate to keep making these threads, i was sold on the sony HDRsr5
but unfortunately they don't support mac, and i would rather not be using my dads business computers to do video editing

are there any HDD HD Cameras that are as good of quality as sony that are compatble with a mac? thanks
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-04-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Any HDV format cam. Canon HV10/20 and the A1/G1/XH1. Any Sony HD cam that records to DV tape would be HDV based as well. You can capture footage thru firewire and edit in iMovie, Final cut express or Pro. I think JVC may have a consumer model now out as well. Any unit that's recording to a disc or HDD will not be compatible with Apple NLE's. (at least for now)
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-06-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Also if you go to your capture settings it will tell you right there......and i will say again i dont like HDV and i always suggest not to use it. But thats just my opinion.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-06-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
What do you suggest to use Travis? In a sub $1000 camera you've got HDV and DV. It will take a DVX100 with someone skilled at the controls to get anything even close to the quality of an HV10 shot full auto.

I know there's a lot more to it (manual controls, DOF, audio) which one has to give up with these little HD cams but you don't get much more of that anyway in a DV cam for a grand.

HDV is processor intensive when you edit it however, you need a fast computer or a lot of patience.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-07-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Well to be honest i dont know, i dont even really pay attention to cameras in that category. I have edited together some spec commercials with the HDV Format and i didn't like the work flow one bit, niether did my computer. Also the color didn't hold up as well as i would of hoped as well. Could of also been the shooter, i dont know. I guess for under a $1000 bucks you cant be picky.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-07-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
A lot of guys seem to think it's OK as an acquistion format but for Pro work I'm sure there are much better alternatives. Having to re- conform HDV upon final output is really turning a lot of pros off as well. Seems like this new Apple ProRes 422 codec could be the answer for transcoding HDV upon capture.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-09-2007, 2:08 AM Reply   
a lot of the editing suites are supporting avchd in their latest releases. I would wager mac will have support soon as well. My brother in law just installed bootcamp and xp on his new mac book pro with no problems so he can play with video from his sr1