Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-12-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting a new set of bindings this year. I had broken my Ronix One bindings at the end of the year, and I really did like them. Any recommendations or should I just get another pair of Ronix One's again?

I am currently riding the Byerly Blunt board.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-13-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
We would need a lot more information than that.

Do you like a stiffer boot? Flexible? Lace up? Velcro? Removable liner? Tall cuff? Short cuff? Mostly cable riding ? Boat?

If you like the Ones, stick with them.. If their is anything you'd change about them, what are those changes and then we can help find some other options.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-13-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
I mostly ride behind the boat. I like the stiffness of them, overall fit/feel, support, the ease of entry/exit, and the lace system (other than that the extra seems to just kind of hang in the way - but doesn't cause any real trouble). What I don't like is they seem to make my feet crap (near the arches of my feet) after only a short time of riding. I am flat footed, so maybe that is part of the problem, but I don't remember having my feet start to cramp so fast in any other boots.
Old     (Boardercontrol1)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-14-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
Hi Russell, I've got flat feet too, I always used to get bad cramp with Ronix One bindings and Ronix Parks bindings after about 5 - 10 mins riding. I've recently been using some of the bindings in the liquid force range and not had the same problem.

A binding that i think you'd like is the Liquid Force Watson, it's quite similar to the Ronix One, it laces up with a multi lace system, it looks the part and they have tended to be fairly robust. It might be worth just having a quick look below, there might be something else that takes your eye.

http://www.boarder-control.co.uk/#!m...iews-2015/csfb

Hope this helps.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2014, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thanks! I am going to take a look at those Watsons, that may be exactly what I need.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2014, 7:06 PM Reply   
Border Control...have you tried the Hyperlite system boots and bindings? If so, what were your thoughts?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-16-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Russell -

I have been riding the systems for 3 years and I could not be happier with a binding set up. I have ridden boots from just about every company and I can tell you that I wouldn't trade my systems for anything else out there.

One fundamental thing the systems have done that no other binding has done, is they have decoupled the comfort and rigid support aspects by having all the comfort in the boots and the bulk of the support in the binding. This way you do not have to sacrifice comfort to gain support and vice versa, you can truly have both.

The support and hold is awesome, and the response you get is instant and second to none. They really transfer the energy of your edging instantly to the board. I mostly ride boat and feel like my edging is super-charged. I also ride at the cable park a few times per year and I spend 6+ hours in my boots without ever feeling cramped or having to take them off.

Another benefit of the systems is longevity. ALL boots get soft and beat up over time if you ride a lot or ride with high intensity, and while the system boots will eventually soften up over time, you can simply click down a few more notches on the binding straps and you do not lose any support or response. I still have and use my Murray boots from 2+ years ago every now and then, and they still perform great.

I personally like the Process boots, they have a nice tall cuff with medium flex. But if you like a different height/flex combo you can look at a different system boot. They can all be heat-molded with a hairdryer in 5 minutes. I recommend them highly, and hope you get the chance to try some out for yourself, you will be very glad you did!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-16-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
I ride the system and have flat feet. Its a great binding and super comfy!!!
Old     (Boardercontrol1)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-16-2014, 2:52 PM Reply   
Hi Russell,

I agree with what Tom has said, he's beat me to the reply !! I've had a go on most the range and there is a boot for everyone, I'd recommend the Marek Boot for you as its stiff and designed for boat riding. I'm going to make the swap this year and go for the Webb Boot. When I used these boots i didn't experience cramp either. If you know any retails who will demo these boots it might be worth having a quick go (along with the Watsons). There should be a short article about the systems on the link I posted earlier.

Thanks
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-16-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks for all the input guys!

Do you think the Process or Marek would be closer to my Ronix one feel. I like some flex, but I like ankle support as well.

Also, what is the big difference between the pro and system binding?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-17-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
Russell -

I would suggest the Process boots to start, as the Mareks are the stiffest boot in their line. Since the One boot is their 2nd stiffest boot in their line, its probably most similar to the Process. I find they have the higher cuff for the support I like but still have enough flex to poke out grabs etc.

Also with the '15 bindings, the biggest difference between the systems and pro's: the pro's come with a removable foot pad that goes between the board and sole of the boot for the option of extra padding on large double ups etc, however to be honest I dont really notice hard landings at all without it.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2014, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks again guys! I am going to give the Process Boots and System Bindings a try.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-19-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
My son has the Ronix One's. His foot is a size bigger and still made my foot cramp. I have a high arch and wide forefoot. I have Systems with Process boots and I use them for at the cable. I do like them but honestly for behind the boat I like a binding/boot that is anchored directly to the board. I got the Process boots one size larger than I would my street shoes and they fit just right. For behind the boat, I have Harley bindings. With a high arch and wide forefoot it is difficult for me to get a good fit. Getting good fitting snowboard boots or ski boots is pure hell for me. I went to my local board shop, tried on every binding they had at the time. The Harleys were the best fitting (no pain, not too much slop in fit).

I just picked up a pair of Slingshot Shredtowns. They have more of a snowboard boot type feel. Really snug but zero cramping of my foot. I have yet to ride them. I intend to use them mainly for behind the boat but I wanted the option to try them at cable. Since they are heat mold-able I took them into the hot tub for a while. From the feel of them I expect that I'm really going to enjoy them behind the boat. If you have zero intentions of cable, I would suggest you try the KTV. They had a pair of them at the shop and when I tried those on they felt pretty darn good (really snug fitting but not tight and no pain/pressure points).

The Shredtown have an inner lace that can be pulled tight. Then the outer shell has straps. Like I said, a good and snug fit without being too tight in any one area. I don't remember if the KTVs have an inner lace. Oh, I guess I should add, I really liked the flex of the boot as it has an articulating cuff.

With my feet, I would never buy a pair of bindings without first trying them on. I suggest going to your local board shops and trying on every binding that you can, Then go from there.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 12-19-2014 at 7:03 PM. Reason: grammer
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-19-2014, 7:06 PM Reply   
I should add, when I tried the Watsons on in the shop I had the same feeling of too much pressure on the arch as I felt with the Ones. But again, I suggest you try every binding you can.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-20-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
Oh, change my comments on the KTV above to RAD. It was the RADs that I also tried on not the KTVs.