Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-27-2012, 1:29 AM Reply   
Hoping to hear from anyone that has transitioned from a 2008 Covin to an 11 or 12 Viva.

I tried the 2009/10 shape but didn't like it. From what I read they fixed what they "broke" and the 2011/12 shape has its strong edging back but has a lot more pop over the Covin.

Can anyone comment?

I love the pop of the 2012 Mana (which i have been able to try) but I prefer how my Covin rides. What I'm hoping for is that the latest Viva shape has a Covin feel with extra pop??
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-27-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
The 2009-2010 covin veered off track. The 2011-2012 is very similar to the 2007-2008.

I didn't like the surf edges and cupped rails on the 2009 at all.

I've ridden all three shapes.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-27-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Better pop on the 11/12 model do you think?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-27-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
In my opinion, the 11/12 is an all-round easier to ride and more powerful wakeboard than the 09/10.

Pop is hard to quantify. The 09/10 is certainly slower and I guess the right kind of rider could make it pop more, but in terms of raw-pop the 11/12 has a slight bit more surface area. I ride the 08 and the 12 shape better all the way around: Pop, consistancy, endging control, everything.

Bottom Line, if you liked the pop, handling a speed of the 2008 you will definately like the 2011/12.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-27-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Thanks. I understand it's hard to quantify pop. I guess when I rode the Mana I could just tell instantly that I released cleaner off the wake but apart from that I prefer the covin.

I've been told that the later tip tail kink in the 2011 or 12 model provides more vertical pop over the 2008.

If this is true I'm keen to upgrade but if it's a very similar ride I won't bother
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-28-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Steve,

Funny story... I owned the Covin for a season, rode the '09 Viva, '11 Viva and '12 Viva last summer. The '09-'10 shape was more of an effort to bring characteristics of the ONE to the Viva line. Trying to shoot for a continuous/hybrid alternative to the ONE. The '09 was a fun shape, but it lacked the pedal to the metal that the Covin had. Once I got one the '11 and '12 Viva that speed came back with a vengeance.

As far as the pop goes, it's a more aggressive rocker line than the Covin. The Covin was a true continuous board while this Viva definitely has more kink than the Covin did. It allows for a great flexibility in your riding style. You'll have the ability to cut in slower and really take my tricks vertical and wake to wake, or put the burners on and crank tricks out into the flats. It's an extremely versatile ride with a consistent pop you can feel comfortable taking bigger and bigger. I'm a huge fan of what they've done with it.

I agree with Harrelson's review.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-01-2012, 1:23 AM Reply   
Ordered my Viva ATR and Cells today!! Thanks for the feedback
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-26-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
The board is awesome. Definitely a good decision to upgrade from my Covin. It rides similar to my covin just better in all aspects.

Fast ride
Sits higher in the water
Softer landings
Easy to break free or holds a solid edge.
A little more pop with the change to the rocker

Great board
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-26-2012, 10:08 PM Reply   
Steve,

Glad to hear we didn't lead you astray. Got out on mine the other day up here in chilly Wisconsin. Love it!

Congrats on the new ride.
Old     (kwade17)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-27-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
I have the 11 board it is a great board if you ride like chad sharp but if you ride more mellower then probably not the board you should go for. pop is good, edges well. I myself dont really care for the board and will probably switch here in the near future.