Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (wamp98)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-06-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
I have a 1996 Caravelle and the front u-bolt where you hook the winch to is starting to pull out. I was wondering if anyone has any experience as to how to fix this? There is no way to get to the inside to tighten the nuts or add a backing plate. There is an integrated cooler in the nose, and I can't reach the back of the front cushion to take off the nuts and remove the cushion. I am worried that the u-bolt is going come all the way off when I am pulling the boat out and the boat will end up on the ramp.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-07-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
If the boat is on the trailer all the way and you drive up the ramp it shouldn't have enough weight pulling back on the hook to fall off, kinda like when people back their boats down the ranp with the hook on thinking the 4000# boat is going to slide off because of the angle of the ramp, it just won't happen, at least in my experience of launching various boats

If the boat is resting on the bunks all the weight is there, not on the hook...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Assuming you don't use the cooler as a cooler, cut an access hole in it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
...and your concerns are valid IMO. I have seen several boats come off on the ramp for various reasons over the years. This is something you would definitely want to avoid having happen to you.
Old     (wamp98)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Trace - thanks for that. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the cooler, but was seeing if anyone had any alternate solutions. Will keep you posted if I figure out a solution.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Opposite of Scott, I have seen boats slide off their trailer. If the bunks are wet the boat can slide quite easily. You start rolling back down the ramp, hit the brakes hard and whoosh!

The bottom line is that you have to get access to the inside of the hull where the bow hook is at. It should already have a backing plate on it.

It is concerning that it came loose in the first place. Ideally the bow hook would have nylock nuts on it so that it wouldn't continue to loosen but if it has regular nuts then they will vibrate off once they get loose. If they come all the way off and you lose the backing plate life could get more complicated.

To just tighten the nuts all you need is room to get a wrench up in there. I recommend replacing regular nuts with nylock nuts so you don't have to do it again (replace one at a time so you don't lose the backing plate).

Like trace said, if the cooler is the only thing blocking access I would cut a hole in the cooler. If the wall is flat you can cut a 4" diameter hole and then cover it up with "deck plate" that you can then simply remove to get to it next time.

Rod
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       07-07-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Hmm Scott - I've seen this happen several times in person and also heard a lot of reports of it happening. I'd be disinclined to listen to your advice....

Adam, I'd call Caravelle - so many times I've spent hours hunting for a way to release a panel, cusion, pad etc and it turns out there's often a way you never thought of. this is definitely something to get on ASAP. In the meantime use plenty of Straps and tie-downs... :-)
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
I second to call Caravelle, they had to install it, so it has to come out some way.

Doubt the cooler was part of the mold. prob just some process to access it.

(Message edited by phatboypimp on July 07, 2008)