Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
Alright everyone I have searched the archives and how does everyone keep their amps cool?

I currently have four amps with over 3000 Watts RMS and I want to make sure they wont overheat this summer in CA.

I am familar with computer case fans, amp fans and blowers but wanted to hear what methods/gear everyone uses.

Thanks for your input!
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
2 blowing, 2 sucking is what I have. Also make sure your amps heat sinks are mounted vertically.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
I use a 4" bilge blower with the hose blowing across the amps. The second advantage to this is that you’re not just blowing the same hot air across the amps. My fan draws air from near cup holders in bow. Lastly this setup gives you more flexibility on where to place fan and bilge blower move more cfm than computer fans.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
I use 2 of the stinger cylinder shaped fans. They are low profile and move alot of air.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
That's a great idea, Brandon. I have two mounted in my only storage area under vented acrylic. Often, they are covered by bags and what not. On a hot day, the tower and interior amp will shut off. Your set up sounds like the perfect solution.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
I use one Stinger fan to just keep air moving never had any problems with heat 2k watts or so
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
fat sac, the only issue with those bilge fans is they are loud, and have a very good potential of intriducing nosie into your system. But they do move alot of air. IMO you don't need that much.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have used bilge fans and they work very well. I ran them off if the amp power supply and put in a small switch to turn it off when I didn't need it.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
"I don't need no fans to cool my amps, I just use my super breath"
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
no problem with introducing noise into my system and as far as the fan being loud which it is minimal only a problem when listening at very low level with motor off and then you don't need the fan so turn it off. Also you could install a speed control to slow the fan.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-01-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
I've used the bilge fan with a switch and it works great. I may look into the stinger fans on my new boat.
Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-01-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
Steve (olskooltige)...

I like your style....

Newcleus.... "Jam On It"

"I could fly three times around the world without missing a beat..."
Old     (david_m_e)      Join Date: May 2008       05-01-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
MOX,

Dual push/pull configurations move no more air than single fans. However, side-by-side fans will displace twice the air as a single fan.

The key to efficient fan use is a shroud that forces the air across the entire heatsink surface area. A fan without a shroud circulates air around the fan but not around the amplifier.

PAC makes inexpensive 12-volt fans. You can safely run multiples of these off your radio’s turn on lead via a relay.

David
www.earmarkmarine.com
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-01-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for you feedback!
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-02-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
M to the Sheezy....

I can't believe no one else commented. Guess they aren't as cultured.