Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-08-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
I'm tugging around an 07 22SSV. The weight online is 3800 lbs and I'm not sure that includes the trailer. Does anyone know a more true to life weight?

Now for the real question. Most of us are dragging around similar boats. How much tow vehicle do we REALLY need? I am pulling with an 03 Z71 Tahoe and happy with the performance. (Thats after previously towing with a 5.9L Cummins)

I'm considering the fact that we are moving closer to water and farther from work and wondering just how much of those bells and whistles I really need.

What are you towing with and getting decent highway mileage out of as well?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
The boat comes in around 5000# with trailer. That Tahoe should be perfect for anything but really hilly terrain.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-08-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
So it would be a bad idea to downgrade. LOL

Looks like I'm stuck.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-08-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
why dont you buy some beater car that gets good gas mileage for work
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-08-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
I've gone that route a few times. Right now she's driving the Hoe to work and using about 1/4 tank a week & I'm taking the TL. We are moving out of the city and about 30 miles for both of us a day in opposite directions.

The beater usually just ends up costing more. I've tried that numerous ways. I'd rather have a beater truck for a tow than a beater daily driver. :-)
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-08-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Yep, you're stuck. I had a heavily accessorized 2000 4runner (most notably: supercharged, intake, AirLift1000 load leveling air-bags) that I towed my old boat with... it did well, all things considered. But with the short wheel base and smallish brakes, stopping scared the crap out of me. And that boat weighed 1000 lbs less than my Supra.

I have the same boat and tow with a Chevy Avalanche 1500, so essentially the same as you but with a longer wheel-base. I wouldn't tow with anything shorter than your Tahoe for any real distance...
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-08-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Plus, Chevy trucks get pretty damn good gas mileage for their size. I get around 15.5 mpg with average driving city/highway. You wouldn't gain much in the way of mpg by switching to even a Trailblazer-sized SUV.

When towing, I think I get somewhere around 11 mpg... but I can't remember exactly.

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on April 08, 2008)
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
when i bought my cummins ram 3 years ago, diesel was $1.50/g... now that it is over $4 here in so. cal (0.60 more than 87 gas) i am getting destroyed by fuel costs, even though i get 15 towing and averaging 19 commuting, (21 mpg at 68 mph highway) and it tows like a champ. if i could i would change out to a 1500 gasser. for those of us that it would not be cost effective to purchase/insure/maintain a "beater" commuter... we are stuck with a tow rig as a commuter. your tahoe's small block and small brakes are no match for your old ram, but you say it tows your supra just fine and I am sure it would be hard to get rid of that tahoe right now with fuel costs so high.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-08-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
I once witnessed a guy pull a Malibu 247 out and up a pretty steep ramp with a early 90's 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. Granted it was in 4 LOW but still impressive. I'm assuming stopping could be a problem without a trailer brake controller. But without the boat he probably got 18mpg
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
I have an 04 tahoe and wouldn't be afraid to tow a 22SSV with it. I wouldn't go any smaller though.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-08-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
A Trailblazer is much smaller for city driving than the Tahoe and is rated for quite a bit more than the your weight. (3800 boat, 1150 trailer, a couple hundred more for gear) If you're looking at downsizing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-08-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
How about this. Sell the tahoe and buy a nice comfortable commuter car. Then buy an old cheap tow rig. I would guess you spend way more time commuting to work than you do towing a boat. An older suburban, tahoe, silverado or any other older truck/suv will work just as good as your current rig for towing a few times a week. On the other hand your tahoe isn't going to be worth squat right now so you may want to just keep it and drive it into the ground. I learned my lesson buying a full size SUV and won't make that mistake again until I have enough money that I don't give a rat's ass and at that point all my vehicles will get crappy gas mileage.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 12:27 AM Reply   
i ended up getting a commuter (62 mi roundtrip daily) could not stand adding miles and paying the gas to fill up my 03 tahoe. so the $$ i was spending in gas is now going toward the payment of the commuter. smart? for me yeah now my tahoe is strictly for towing and trips to the mountains and i have a reliable commuter.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-09-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
Alot of people are going deisel. But truth be told they are over kill for most wakeboats. And with the prices of deisel fuel now. Noway.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-09-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
A 3/4 ton overkill? I don't think so. I have towed with both and I prefer a 3/4 ton. It just flat out tows better than a 1/2 ton. Although a 1/2 ton will definatly git the job done.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
I've got a 21v and towed it with a 5.3 gmc truck. In the flats and around town it towed fine. But when you get out on the highway it wasn't happy. I don't like pulling at 3 grand when I never hit 3 grand driving empty. I just upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel. Is it more than I need, yes, but piece of mind when driving is worth it.

I like Brett's idea for you. I'd skip the 5.3 and get an older burb or hoe with the 5.7. It's got a better torque curve for towing.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-09-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Excellent discussion! :-)

The diesel and 3/4 ton is by no means overkill for a boat. There is something to be said about a truck with enough power to smoke the tires off a stop light while towing 5000 lbs. LOL (not that I know, but hey, if I did know...)

I really like the idea of getting an old ext cab Z-71 or something for a tow rig. I think that'd be cool. I just don't wanna store 3 cars + a boat at the house.

Looks like the Tahoe will be sticking around for a bit longer.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-09-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Heres my 03. I've towed with 9 people and a boat full of gear with no problem. Id feel comfortable towing a bigger boat but not with a full load of people.

Upload
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-09-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
I know the 'Hoe will do it....

My question was is the Hoe overkill. Wanna know the real reason? Wifey wants a 4 door Wrangler... LOL
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Trainwreck,

I did not read the entire thread but did gather...commute and gas usage. My wife has a 4 door Wrangler...you should only expect about 16 mpg...FYI.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-09-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
I just traded in my 1/2 ton Dodge(avg 14.5-15.5 MPG commuter) for a Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel(avg 19-21 MPG commute). I use it as my daily driver and tow truck. I am getting better MPG and total cost per week with the diesel over the old gas hemi. Diesel prices will come back down(I pray) and my savings will even be greater. I will also be getting much better MPG while towing the boat locally or out of town. My overall plan is to pay off the truck and then at some point get a commuter car down the road. The wife is in a 07 328i and we use it for any long trips without the boat.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
wouldn't call 3/4 ton overkill at all.

I tow my V-Ride with a 1 ton Chevy duelly (454). Runs on unleaded, but takes a lot of it about 9-11mph. Only use it for towing the boat though...
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-09-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Exhaust upgrade got me another 2mpg but still only getting 16 average. I've thought about getting a comuter put with insurance and all I just think its cheaper to stick with the hoe.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-09-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
I tow my Calabria Pro-V with a 4.6l, 2wd, 2001 F-150 Supercrew. I live in the central valley and pull the boat up to Tulloch, Don Pedro, etc...as well as a few spots in the Delta.

I don't win any races, but it's taken the boat everywhere I wanted to go, and has never been a problem on a ramp.

The title of the thread is "How much tow do you really need". In reference to that, 3/4T+ trucks are absolutely overkill. Diesel rigs are overkill. Certainly they are nice to have and can makes some climbs faster...but it's not a "need". And if you can't stop your boat safely with a 1/2 ton truck, you aren't driving right.

I'm not hating on the big truck guys, I like them as much as the next guy...just calling bs on people who call it a need. Save that story for the wife.
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have a Moomba LSV and with the trailer it weights 4200 lbs. I tow with a 04 trailblazer rated for 5800 lbs and it does a fine job.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-09-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
Have you done any mods to your tahoe? I have an 04 Z71 tahoe with a K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake, and custom exhaust, and I'll tell you before i did those two things, my gas milege was averaging about 14-15 (not towing), and 10 (towing). But after I got those two little things done to it, I am getting in the upper 16's (not towing) and high 13's to 14 (towing). You can also get a custom tune done to your pcm for not much at all that will help out a few mpgs as well. I'm getting mine done in the next month.

Also, some people have commented on braking. Two things you can do here. Either get the electric trailer brake controller (100 bucks or so), or get a trailer (like a boatmate) that has the inline surge brake actuator built in the tongue. So when it compresses, the brakes on the trailer are applied. no need for the electric brake controller. It works great for me!

Check out this forum. great info for you. Look me up on there if you get on, my name on it is "Sippi Z71" -- by the way you get a discount for all kinds of stuff if your a member! even pcm tunes!

www.z71tahoe-suburban.com
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
sippi,

tell me about the trailer with the actuator. how can i tell if i have one? dealer told me i need to use a truck with the electric breaks or else it will lock up if i try to go in reverse?

and you are right, probably don't need more than a 1/2 ton for towing. 1 ton sure does a good job though...
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
i have a 2007 Malibu trailer
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
great discussion.. im actually looking at a used 01-04 tahoe for a tow rig (just for towing- thats it, i have a company car the rest of the time).

is there is a paticular year that is better than the other ?
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-09-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
The problem is you can't get a 1/2 ton with a diesel. Dodge is going to offer the 1/2 ton with a diesel 6.7L in 09/10- but it is the new clean diesel and they are sucking on MPG. I hope they get all the kinks worked out and figure out how to get them running better. If you need to tow your boat any considerable distance then the diesel will save you alot of $$ over time on MPG. When I use to tow my boat with the gaser I was getting killed at 9-11 MPG, the diesel should be good at 17-18 MPG. We plan do 4-5 long weekend camping trips each year with the boat- OK,AR,Austin area. There are a few spots outside Dallas that will take us an hour or so to get to as well each weekend. So for me I utilize the larger truck on the weekend and also driving to work each day. If you commute in heavy traffic each day then your MPG will be alot lower on the diesel. I luckily don't have that problem.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
I can't believe everyone has big beefy trucks to tow their boats with. 50k truck and 60k boats damn. I have a friend towing a MC with a minivan another with an old as hell cherokee. WHo is towing with stuff like this.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-09-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
Buy the commuter, the best decdion I've made in a while. cheap as s*it to operate, and is not as bad driving as I thought.I'm driving roughly 70 miles roundtrip every day. approx $34/wk in gas if that. Upload
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
I "need" to pull my SAN 70 mph up the north side of the grapevine.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-09-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Tampawake,
Just to let you know it can be done.
Upload
But it is not a good idea. It's way to hard on the transmission and the brakes are stressed. (As is the chassis)

(Message edited by rallyart on April 09, 2008)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I have towed with both 1/2 ton and 3/4. As long as I have toys that need pulling, I will always roll with diesel and 3/4 or 1 ton.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
We pull our boat with an 05 4.8L tundra or my father in laws f250 diesel super duty. The tundra does fine towing pretty much any ware, although I do wish it was four wheel drive. I get about 16 mpg sitting in L.A. traffic.

The super duty tows exceptional but definitely not needed. If we decided to haul a large travel trailer or something with some substantial weight the larger truck becomes a need.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-09-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
ed...what are you towing? I have an 08 23LSV on the way, and I have an 06 Tundra DC 4x4. I know it's not the best towing rig out there, but I'm hoping it will get me by for a little while.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Somebody mentioned a Trailblazer, I have one and I have towed with it short distances, but stopping could be an issue with a heavy boat. Mine is an inline 6 and makes pretty good power, but the short wheelbase is now available with a v8. Long wheelbases would tow better and they were available with v8's. I tow with my dad's Tahoe. I should note that his Tahoe with the 5.3 and my I6 Trailblazer get pretty close to the same average mileage for mixed driving without the boat behind it.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
ed, do you tow in 4WD? Is that common? Should i be switching to 4 High when towing you think?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've got a Trailblazer SS and the thing towed really well. It has oversized brakes, autoride supsension in the rear, and had tons of power as well. I tow the boat with the cummins now, just a safer feeling for myself. Anyways for short distances I think a person can get by with whatever if it's rated for the weight. It's those longer road trips where the bigger trucks really shine IMO.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-09-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
tj...definitely not...only use the 4x4 to get up slippery or dirt/mud ramps!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-09-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
I think some of you need to check your MPG on your Big Diesel rigs. My pops has a F350 Super Duty, Fx4, lariet...the big 4 door cab...its a 06 I think. But I've towed my boat behind it several times, as well as 42 ft Fountain, a gooseneck with a bulldozer on it...all kinds of crap...it doesn't matter what I'm towing...or not towing ... that thing sucks down gas! Pops ended up getting a 2WD tundra prerunner just to save on gas. he said he's getting close to 20MPG in that and with the ford he gets around 12. Plus, I don't know if yall have looked..but next time you go to the gas station and you think you're paying a lot for gas...check out the diesel prices! Yes they are powerful and can tow like a champ...but gas still sucks on it no matter what your towing ...or not towing.

TJ- different malibu dealers use different trailers. do you know what kind of trailer it is? my guess is probably an extreme (pretty common). Go check out Boatmate trailer's website. look under features and you'll see the brake system I'm talking about. when backing up, you either have to have a pin put in on the tongue to not engage the brakes, or just have the harness plugged in to your truck like normal. the tongue is like a big spring, the more its compressed (slowing down or hitting your brakes) the more it slows down. I've had to slam on brakes before and when you do, the trailer brakes will slow you down quicker than your truck brakes will! I slammed on brakes when some jackass pulled in front of me and my brakes locked up, and so did the trailer brakes. and no the boat isn't gonna come through the back of your truck. its the same as having electric brake controllers just doesn't need it. If you have an electric brake controller or this system, it doesn't matter what your towing with (in terms of stopping) its not gonna be dangerous. pulling it is a different story, no you don't want to pull it with a ford focus, you'll never leave the driveway. Yes the big trucks will pull better because they normally have a longer wheel base and more power, but our trucks do just fine too. and get the same gas mileage. I'm pulling my boat from MS to smith mtn lake in VA in June with my tahoe...just as I've done before...and it does just fine! as far as power. get a Cold air intake, exhaust and a custom tune, and you'll be amazed at the extra power and MPG you'll save!
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-09-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
I am a member over there on z71tahoe-suburban.com Trainwreck there too. Check out gmfullsize.com too. :-)

Once we get moved into the new casa I might look into some mods on the Tahoe. My biggest gripe with mine is the brakes. They SUCK. I think something is wrong with them, but I can't narrow it down.

Between the 01-04 Tahoes I would get 03 or 04. Steering wheel controls, nicer inside, ect. Otherwise they are the same.

I agree with whoever said that about the Diesel not doing what people say. I had an 07 5.9 CTD ext cab 4x4 with factory tires. Even with a Dr. Performance chip I never touched 16 MPG. Good riddence to that thing. Pulled like a horse but rode like a saw horse.

Thanks for all of the input! I'm curious to see how those new Hummer H3 Alphas do with the 300 HP 5.3L. They are high dollar, but I would imagine they'd be gas friendly if the 5 cylinder was dragging it around previously.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-09-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
I get 18mpg towing the boat at 70mph in my "Big Diesel rig". I know the newer "Big Rigs" don't get as good of fuel milage as some of the older ones. If you beat on a diesel it will get crap fuel milage as well.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Mark -- Congrats on the new boat.
We tow an 05, 21 1/2 foot centurion. I have pulled it with the tundra a few times on trips that are 500 miles (round trip) and it does fine. The advise that was given to me if I planned on towing the boat long distances was to get a transmission cooler installed.

As you probably already know, you are going to be pushing the truck with that size boat. Although, if I was rolling an 08 23lsv I would continue towing it with the tundra.

With 4WD you will definitely be able to pull the boat out of the water... no problem.

tj- I wish our tundra was 4wd because I most commonly launch on a steep slippery dock or gravel. Definitely don't tow in 4WD.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-09-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Aaron, His is an 05 my bad. Its the last year before the newer "clean diesels" were made. So its suppose to get better mpg too. The thing about big diesel trucks isn't that they get "better" gas mileage than a gas truck, Its that they have more power, torque and can tow more...and are SUPPOSE to get around the SAME gas mileage as a gas vehicle. Either way, the bottom line, if you're towing a boat, unless its a john boat, you're not gonna get the dreamed 20 mpg. You're gonna get crappy gas mileage either way. You can do things to help with it, but its not going to change much. Trainwreck, i knew i had seen that name somewhere!do the brakes on your truck suck, or your trailer? ed, I agree with you on the tranny cooler. I have the trans temp gauge in mine truck so i can keep an eye on it. I have noticed, unless you are going up and down hills alot, it'll be fine.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I have similar MPG experience as sippi... when we tow the boat with the diesel super duty it gets about 13 MPG. If we tow with the tundra it gets about 10 mpg. The great thing about the super duty is, when the in-laws tow a 35 foot travel trailer, it still gets 12 MPG.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
Crap, when I worked for Cope I had a 1999 Expedition and towed X-45's quite often. I never felt scared about stopping even if I was doing 65 on the freeway. If you get a good trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes that are adjusted right the trailer will slow down your car. I did tow Centurions as well with crappy V/M trailers and out of adjustment drum brakes. I would rather tow the x-45 with a top quality trailer than an elite-v with that crappy v/m. The trailer is more important than the tow vehicle in my opinion. If you do tow with a half ton or smaller though I would definitely invest in a transmission cooler and almost never leave it in overdrive.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
You already have a sunk cost in the Tahoe so just keep it for towing and trips that require the V8. Get yourself cheap commuter transportation. Small 3-4cyl cars or even a motorcycle can be fun to commute to work with. Get something used that you can carry high deductable for insurance to save cost. Rate the Tahoe as pleasure use only, <3K miles/yr. If you trade in your tahoe now, and even if you find something that can do the tow job that get better gas mileage, it is doubtful that the savings will pencil out to what you will lose in depreciation, etc..
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
thanks for the info... i appreciate it.

btw, i got a chance to tow with a buddies 07 chevy duramax last summer and i fell in love with it. i got 16 mpg no matter if i was towing or not...that beat the pants off my 05 toyota sequoia (i didnt even get 16 mpg on the freeway not towing).
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-10-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
I currently own a 5.3L Tahoe, 5.3L Z71 Silverado, and a Prius. The Prius replaced my BMW convertible when I went to work for a Solar Power company (gotta walk the talk). Surprisingly the Prius is pretty nice for a Japanese econobox (mine is loaded to the gills).

Before I bought my current Z71 Silverado I had a 4.3L V6 Silverado that I bought with a bad motor. After throwing a $600 junkyard motor in it the truck was hard to beat. Going up hills was downright painful at times but it always seemed to get over any hill I threw at it. It even did pretty well when I had 20 cases of Corona in the bed on the way to the Shasta houseboat. I drove that truck like I stole it and it never missed a beat. Stopping and general towing was no trouble since it was a full size truck. On the highway when not towing it got about 20mpg. All and all it was an unbeatable truck considering I had all of $6k into it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2008, 4:37 AM Reply   
^^^^^
Solar company be damned, not trading the Bimmer for a prius
Old     (wdp)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-14-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
I have a 07 dodge ram with the 5.9l Diesel pulling an X-star I get about 18.5 to 19 on the freeway at 60.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-14-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
Lots of things are possible at 60. You'd get killed running around Houston at that speed.

Where are you BTW?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
^^^^^ LOL! That is no lie. At 60 you better stay in the slow lane and even then that is a little slow. As said above I get 18mpg towing at 70mph in my 02 crew cab Duramax/Alison 4x4.
Old     (wdp)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-15-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
California we have to drive slow a speeding ticket with a trailer cost some big money.
Old     (sorg67)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 4:10 AM Reply   
Anybody know anything about how towing capacity is determined? Is it set by the manufacturer or by some outside rating agency? Is it a true max or a conservative working guideline? I have had some people tell me it is a conservative rating and you can safely exceed the capacity especially in a flat state like mine (Florida).

I pull a Nautique 211 with a Suburban so I am fine either way, I am just curious.

Also, is it beneficial to use the low range up the boat ramp? My Suburban pulls the boat easily in high, but I have wondered it I save some wear and tear on the transmission if I use the low range.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-16-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
Towing capacity is usually a conservative "maximum" rating, so some yuts who has never pulled a trailer before doesn't exceed it. Most 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton trucks can exceed this rating, but it is not wise against. Being an engineer, I now understand why they give a conservative rating. All has to do with life time durability and driveability given the worst case scenario, meaning harsh acceleration, harsh braking. The rating also is a general statement towards load distribution on a trailer and all that jazz.

SO, in IMO, dont exceed it. I know most trucks could pull all that weight no problem, but the rating is there for a reason. Not to mention hitch rating!

(Message edited by bigkitch on April 16, 2008)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-16-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KWE5e_H47MI
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-16-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
John-I don't disagree with Grahams comments. However, there is a war between the big 3 and toyota to have the biggest numbers, and those numbers have been inflated to compete without doing any major changes to the drivetrain. The number on the door is the max LEGAL combined weight you can carry and tow. Can you do more, yes, will you pull more than the max 1 or 2 times, more than likely, but if you ever get caught, you're in a heap of trouble.

You'll also notice that the max tow rating are usually regular cab 2x4's with the biggest motor/lowest diff gear available, and as you add seats and 4x4, that number goes down.

With that said, IMHO it doesn't mean that the vehical will be happy being put under the max stress day and day out. Since this war has gotten out of control, there is an SAE commission with representitives from all manufactures that is addressing this now to come up with a standard guideline or testing methods with the end result of a tow/capasity rating that is sanctioned by the SAE (10,500 lbs tow rating per SAE XXX.XX)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-16-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^

Great summation. Just because a tow rating says a vehicle can do it, I would not want to be towing a lot on vehicle that is just not supposed to be a tow monster.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
I am sure it really depends on distance your traveling, the ramp, and the geography. I am in florida everything is FLAT, the ramp is 3/4 of a mile from my house, and ramp is very gentle. Very little stress on my Yugo!!!
Old     (sorg67)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the comments on towing capacity.

Anybody have anything to say about the value of using the low range to pull up the boat ramp for the purpose of reducing wear on the transmission?