Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-01-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
Ready to pull the trigger on one of these 2 boats 2006-2008. I need some help though on which will be a better wake/surf boat. I know more about a moomba than the sanger. I do like the sanger a little bit better and I know there are some sanger lovers here on this board, but I guess I am just looking for good comparision between the two. I looked at two sangers this week and both of them sold the day after I looked at them. I can't find any other v230's on the west coast that seem to be a good deal. Anyway let me know your thoughts, Thanks
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
We have an 07 Sanger v230 and love it! The wake right out of the box sucks. It needs extra weight to make a good surf and wakeboard wake. With 750's in the rear it makes a great surf wake. Fill them up 1/2 way and put a few people in the bow and the wakeboard wake is really good as well.

The boat handles chop really well. Has a decent hole shot. Tons of storage space. For it's size you get a lot for your money. Here are some pictures of the wake.
Attached Images

Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-02-2010, 1:42 AM Reply   
I have an 07 LSV here's my thoughts.. whether you want them or not lol. I have not ridden a Sanger but have heard many good things about them.

Surfing
My opinion on the LSV as far as wakesurfing is pretty good. I am in no way an avid wake-surfer but I dig the wake alot. We put 1000 or so pounds on one side and it creates a pretty large wall. As far as shape goes it has a good long wave with a sharp curl at the end. The plate is amazing when it comes to surfing. Put it up and it cleans the wake up and shapes it into a perfect-mini barrel. I'm not sure in any way if the wake is better than the Sanger but if the sanger does not have a plate.. I don't think it would be too promising. That plate performs miracles for surfing lol. Sorry I do not have any worth-while pictures of our surf wake.

Handling
Not super amazing but not too bad either. Not really a deep hull, doesn't conduct chop exceptionally well but does its job. Turns decent when slammed. Does not turn as soft as some other boats I have driven. again I have no comparison to the sanger.

Craftsmanship
Decent, as you take the boat apart you see some faults here and there but thats to be expected in a price point boat I guess. Maybe I shouldn't be taking it apart in the first place?

Comfort
Pretty roomy. Good amount of storage space. My favorite thing is that the boards fit in the rear ballast lockers pretty easily. Makes transporting nice. Layout is okay. Ice chest is a must to bring as the stock one is pretty small.

Wakeboard wake.
Took FOREVER for us to dial it in(with more than stock weight). but now that we have it its actually really fun. Stock weight and speed around 22 breaks about 73-75feet. Pretty rampy.
Stock weight (Don't mind the horrid switch attempt and the sad attempt at an ollie : ) )

Roughly 2600 pounds

The one MAJOR (to me) flaw that I really don't like my boat for is the lack of a snap out carpet.. Its a pain to clean and is the furthest thing from fluffy. Its not too nice on the feet. If they make one with a snap out carpet that would be awesome but I don't know if they do.
Sorry If my opinion helps in no way but I for some reason felt like talking way too much. If you have any questions on the 07 LSV I can definitely oblige lol.
and that sanger wake looks pretty rampy in that pic!
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
Adam- One thing that I do remember about the LSV is when wakeboarding the wake seemed like it was really wide, I other words it was really difficult to get into the flats. Do you find this to be true.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
just because you're too afraid to hit it as hard as you need to to clear the wake, doesn't mean its too wide. shorten the rope sissy
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-02-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
just because you're too afraid to hit it as hard as you need to to clear the wake, doesn't mean its too wide. shorten the rope sissy
Hahahaha
Old    ausbill32            08-02-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Todd,

I have a 2007 Moomba LSV that I purchased used with 88 hours from some guy off craigslist and I now about 150 hours on the boat without a single issue. I clear the wake with no problem at 75 feet back and I'm into the flats. At 65 feet, I fly way out into the flats. I was able to purchase a 3 year warranty through my local dealer by asking them to look up the hull number and engine number before I purchased it. Luckily I made it by 30 days so that is one reason why I bought my Moomba which I found for 28k off of craigslist.

As for your decision to purchase, I really like my Moomba LSV but I cannot compare it to the Sanger as I have never seen one. Part of my decision comes down to dealer support and distance to the dealer. My local dealer provided great support with my old Supra 21V and now my Moomba (althought no warranty work has been done to date, only maintenance). The trailer is also something to think about. Looks like the Sanger has two axels. If the Moomba trailer doesn't have two axels, I wouldn't purchase it.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-02-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
There is no comparison, the 230 is so much more boat. Luxury, Wake, Storage, options. Why just like your boat, with the 230 you'll love it. Just my .02
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Hawk-ha ha, Bill how do you have the weight distrubuted?
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have the 07 LSV as well and it's an amazing boat. I've yet to get in a boat with as much storage room as this one. I can easily fit my board in the rear compartment and I ride a 144cm board. 750lb sacs fit easily with spare room too.
For wakeboarding the LSV likes a lot of weight in the bow. I run the bow sac under the seats and the ski locker full for about 1000lbs in the front. I'll fill the 750s maybe 1/3rd full, wake plate about 2/3 up, at 22mph and it's way more wake than any of us can use. It can be flat out nasty at times and I've had several request to tone it down for riders. Another 500 to 600 in the bow and the 750s full and it's insane. No problems jumping out of the hole either with this much weight. I've run it this full before with 10 people on board and the boat handled it just fine.

We wakesurf a lot too and it throws a really nice wake. I can't compare it to the Sanger wake, but I can say I like it.

Both are great boats. I've always liked the Sanger but never seriously considered one due to lack of dealer support in this area. Moomba has amazing support here so it's hard to look at anything else. Drive both to see what you like and dislike about them, factor in dealer support, and that should make your decision for you. Don't let some goon on the net tell you what you should or shouldn't get and only believe about 1/4 of what you read. Good luck and post pics when you get it.
Old    ausbill32            08-02-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
Hey Todd,

In my 2007 LSV, I have 550lbs (stock is 400lbs) in each rear locker and stock 400lbs in the middle. I usually have 6-10 people in the boat, of which, 2 people normally sit up front. I've had 13 people in the boat but it's uncomfortable (6-8 is perfect, 10 is a little crowded but works, 13 is way too crowded). Unlike some of the other LSV owners; I typically never use the middle ballast but I do fill the rear ballast bags 1/2 full or more to keep the wake balanced. I ride at 22mph and can ride at ropes lengths of 65/70/75 at any ballast combination (normally 70). Depending where people sit, I might use the wake plate a little to keep it clean if it looks unbalanced. The wakeplate is one of the best features of the Moomba and Supras. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and I fill all the bags full and I put the wakeplate all the way down but it sucks up more gas so I only run ballast for the experienced riders. The stock wake, with a 1/4 plate, is more than enough for most people who ride on my boat as I have many beginners and I'm maybe an intermediate rider. My first run of the day is without ballast and I can do all the same tricks with or without ballast. I just go higher and farther into the flats with a bigger wake. I'm 37 years old so I tend to take it easy and just have fun with 180s, wake jumps, etc.

Gas wise, I'm burning about 5-6 gals per hour on average with a full boat and ballast I listed above. With 2-4 people and no ballast 4-5 gal per hour). I mention gas because my old 2006 Supra 21v would burn 6-8 gals per hour and that cost adds up quickly so I consider the Moomba to be more gas friendly. The fit and finish of my old Supra 21v was more plush than my Moomba but the Moomba is consirably less on overall cost, gas consumption, and I like the walk through bow better than the play pen.

Seems to me your gut is telling you to go with the Sanger so maybe that's what you should do. I'd probably go with the newer of the two if all the options were similiar. I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, I'm just answering your questions honestly about my LSV. The things that were important to me when I looked at used boats were: price, local dealer support/distance, warranty, year, perfect pass, number of engine hours, ballast, dual axel trailer, over all condition of boat & trailer, tower, bimini, cover, and radio set up.

Cheers

Last edited by ausbill32; 08-02-2010 at 2:43 PM.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-06-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
Todd,
compared to some of the other boats I've been riding behind.. (example.. older nautique, xstar, tige) it is a bit wider and shorter. on the xstar I can make it pretty far into the flats but on my LSV with my hardest cut at 75' I can only get ten feet or so past it. When I ride with Jeff Hill he runs a bit more weight and a bit faster too and I can overshoot his pretty easily (also has the 07 LSV). The LSV wake seems to be short and sweet but I definitely like it because wake to wake height is pretty high because of the gap. and + 1 for storage. LSV has tons of storage space.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2010, 1:14 AM Reply   
Adam = Epic reply. Great information.

Todd = Moomba is a low cost boat, with the issues of one, and will be for a while. Sanger is a proven company with a great reputation, and will be one for a while. Go with Sanger.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-07-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
I too found the LSV wake to be wider. I was coming from a narrow Ski Boat wake, and at the same rope length on the LSV I had a hard time clearing it. The wake has allot more pop to it as well so I have been relearning this wake all over.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Went with the Moomba, the sangers sold too fast for me to get them. I will post pics when I'm done getting the graphics off and the windshield tinted, its a all white boat.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Congrats! All white and tinted windows should look awesome!
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
That's awesome! What model did you end up getting?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
Hijack

Adam what happened to you today ? Everything alright ?

End hijack

Todd congrats on the new boat, I loved the look of your old one. It was the gray and blue one right ?
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, Jeff yeah it was the blue and gray one. Adam- it is a LSV. It is loaded with pretty much everything. PP, 70hrs, decent stereo all JBL, with sub LED's at the cup holders, custom travel/mooring cover,ect. It doesnt have which my old one did is heater, shower, and I need to upgraded the bags. All I need now is to sell my other toy ( 65 Buick Skylark convertible). the wife says only one toy at a time.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-08-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Jeff's got a pretty sick ballast setup with two 750's in the back and the triangle sac in the front and the center ballast full. His wake is pretty sick. If you are going to upgrade ballast that is the way to go.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
How does the triangle sac fit/work?
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-08-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
Todd, Congrats! I concur with the weighting. I have an 06 with 640 hours on it. No major issues with the boat. When we slump we run the stock 400lb and a 600lb on the floor and I upgraded to 2x 540lb in the back. I would also suggest you go to a pitched prob. The stock prop will not pull that kind of weight very well. Have fun.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-09-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have the triangle sac that sits on top of the seats. It looks like a huge piece of cheese ! Not the under seat kind.

I don't have ppl sit in the front so it's not an issue for me to have it up there, But for some they don't want to lose the bow seating.

If you upgraded to the 540's you could get away with just a sac in the walkway and you could ride slower I would imagine and still get a good meaty wake !

If it has the wake plate .....Set it and forget it ! The worst thing I did when I got my boat was keep moving that thing around and it was like chasing your tail to get it good !
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
This is like comparing a chevy cobalt to a Cadillac cts. I'm not trying to rag on the lsv but it's a budget model boat. A very nice one at that but the super air 230 may be the nicest biggest roomiest and most luxurious wakeboat ever made. I have ridden just about every boat model and brand and I would have to say the best boat I have ever ridden is a 230. The wake gets so massive it's insane. The only other boat on the market even in the same league I'd an xstar and I would still take a 230 all day long over it due to it's efficiency.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Pretty sure the lsv hull is the old supra launch ssv hull, u may be able to find a good deal on one of those. My father used to have one the wakes pretty good but wiiiiiiide
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Wow feel like an idiot I thought u meant San 230 hahah ok now I see the comparison
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2010, 12:59 AM Reply   
Jeff I am not sure why you have had such bad experiences with the plate.. i love that thing. We tune it daily to make the wake peak or extend and then throw it up for surfing. It's pretty handy.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
I just tend to think it makes the wake washy at the top, I've never got the lip solid with the plate ! But hey next time I have issues with it I can try moving it around.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
We found the lower it is the longer and lower. When you put it up to about a 1/4 it shortens it and steepens the lip a lot. If you put the plate up at all you have to bump up speed a bit to make it break where you need it to. we usually leave it a bit more than you have yours jeff but you seem to have yours in the right place lol.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
lets see some pics Todd!!
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782547
here you go