Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2010, 1:00 AM Reply   

Sadly, you really can't find 'em anymore, so I'm out looking for an alternative.

Any suggestions on a board that rides similar to the early Byerlys? Super low, skate-y feel with that nice, heavy transition?
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       05-01-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
i actually have one that i havent ridden in years that is in really good condition if your interested.

PM me an we can talk about it
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-01-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
The byerly finless is an absolutely epic board. Sometimes they make a board that is ahead of it's time ie the byerly finless and doesn't really take off but it was definitely a sick board. I would love to try one out again and see if I still like it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
I use to ride the 02' 142 Byerly DNA -- was my favorite board I ever owned until my 09 Slingshot.

Its has similar speed, pop, tracking....everything, they are close, only the slingshot just takes all the little issues of the 02' being old and takes care of them
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
It's funny you say that Kyle - I was all gung-ho for new board shapes and technology a few years back, rode my buddy's '02 Byerly 128 (I weigh 170, mind you), and was blown away with how much fun it was to ride, and with how much personality it had.

Thanks for the recommend Nick – someone made a similar comparison a while back, and your post reminded me of that again. Unless anyone chimes in with additional recommendations, it looks like that's where I'll be heading (in addition to hopefully picking up Gnar's 2002)!
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-02-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
One of my first boards was the 2001 byerly 132 and it was one of my favorite shapes ive ever ridden to date
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-02-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
But i would definitely recommend either the slingshot reflex or recoil for a new shape
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-02-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
If you like the byerly ride, why not check out some of the more current ones? The assault is practically exactly just what you described. Sits lower in the water, no center fin so its skatey but has crisp molded fins to give you one solid edge hold. in addition, it has a fiberglass rope that is fused into the resin along the edges of the board. what this does is it give the board flex tip to tail, but keeps the board torsionally solid so it has consistent snap and release off the wake. I only rode it one set and was extremely stoked on it. very fun ride and i could tell it was very lively under my feet. Dont pass this up, it just might be right up your alley.