Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-11-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Last weekend while riding at the delta we hit a log. No noticeable vibration, and we were still able to get up on plane without any problems. The only result of hitting the log is that the steering became very difficult. It was fine when pulling a rider, but when we had to turn around to pick up a downed rider you would have to use two hands to crank over the wheel. We made the best of it and rode for the rest of the day.

When we pulled out of the water at the end of the day, I checked the prop and we didn't have a ding in it, but as for the rudder, it was pushed back at an angle so that the rudder was rubbing on the flange on the bottom of the boat. You could see where the top of the rudder had been rubbing metal to metal on the flange thus making it hard to turn the boat. That night at home I took a sledge hammer and tapped the rudder a few times in an attempt to bend it back so that it wouldn't rub anymore. This worked and the steering is now fine again (no rubbing).
My question is whether or not I need to worry about the strength of the rudder and possibility of it breaking off?
Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have a new rudder installed?

Thanks
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-11-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
i would say yes. pretty sure there is a shear point right where the rudder passes thru the hull. last summer i ran a friend's 2001 over a log and it sheared off even with hull. I think i remember reading on here that they're designed that way to minimize hull damage if you hit something. a new rudder for a 2001 was upwards of 300. and we put it on. no help on the install cost

but i would have expected it to shear off when you hit it...

(Message edited by denverd1 on May 11, 2006)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Yep, count your blessings that it didn't shear off. At least you got to finish your day and didn't have to get towed back to the launch ramp.

I would not advise beating on the rudder while it was still in the boat. The bushings and seal wouldn't like that very much, and it is possible that you could cause cracks in the gel coat.

If you are anxious to use the boat and/or are strapped for cash I might try running on it for the season, but I would plan on changing it out come next fall. Keep in mind that it is weak now and it could break off. If I was only doing weekend trips I would chance it, but if I had a houseboat trip to Powell planned then I wouldn't take the risk.

If you have a direct drive then changing the rudder isn't all that hard. You might have to pull the gas tank but its just a lot of removal and then put it all back together.

A V-drive is a bit harder as its the engine that is in the way. There might be room to get down to the rudder behind the engine if you are a contortinist, or perhaps you have a midget friend.....

If you can get to it removal of the rudder is basicaly removing the steering arm then releasing the collar that is on top of the shaft. The rudder should just fall out the bottom. If the "stuffing box" and bushings aren't damaged then you can just slide the new rudder in. clamp the collar on and connect the steering arm.

Be prepared, though. A large chunk of bronze is not cheap....
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I bent a rudder a couple years back - cost about $350 to have a new one installed. Dealer had to order from factory - took a week to get it shipped 70 miles.