Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
I am attempting to get a group together for a 3 or 4 day trip to Norris Lake. It will be late July or early Aug. Any suggestions on where to stay? Will be 4 couples and maybe a couple extra people. Lakefront with a dock or nearby ramp is a a major plus. Where are some good spots to ride?
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-19-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
Look at the Flat Hollow area..plenty of places to stay, nice marina with ramp..plus the water is usually butter all day around there...shh haha
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
No help here, but have fun. Norris is a sweet place.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I'll second Flat Hollow. You might want to consider a floating house. That is the best way to go in my opinion. If you do stay at Flat Hollow just head up the Powell River to find the best water. You can literally ride for mile and miles on the smoothest water. I have stayed in both of these.

http://www.flathollowmarina.com/rentals/lakehouse/index.htm

http://www.flathollowmarina.com/rentals/excalibur/index.php

The Lake House is newer, and a little nicer but both are awesome.
Old     (cglass08)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
I would suggest the Stardust Marina. Last year my family and I stayed in condos just up the hill from the marina. They had a ramp at the marina and dockage right behind the condo. Norris is an awesome lake. We were able to get flat water right in front of the condo in morning and afternoon. When there was boat traffic it was like a 4 or 5 minute ride just around the first bend and it went right back to being butter.

http://www.stardustmarina.com/

http://www.norrislakeinfo.com/stardustmarina.shtml
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
If you are going to ride down on Norris you should check out http://www.norriswake.com They are a proshop on the water and rent out wake boats and jet skis.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
Are you required to have a third in TN?
Old     (dwakesetter)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
Lizrd, No just a mirror if you only have two.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Very interesting! Thanks, Doug. We have a 3 day vacation planned and TN might be calling our name!
Old     (gangster_wake)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Try www.turtletoms.com
Old     (deepsouthryda)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-22-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
I went and stayed in a private home near flat hollow and that was definitely the way to go. Look for private homes. You get your own boat slip, it ended up being much less expensive and the riding spot over there was WAAAAAAYYYYYYY less crowded. I had butter from 5:30 am to dark for six straight days in July and the old lady that owned the house was right next door and took care of everything for us. Super quiet, secluded, could make bonfires, be as loud or quiet as you want to, and wake up and shred right there in front of the house. It was the best trip I've taken to ride anywhere. Have fun! Hope that helps.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
I just got back from 7 days there with my crew...we stayed way back in the back of Flat Hollow Marina and rented our house through www.norrislakeproperties.com . I did not rent through Flat Hollow Marina and am glad I didn't. The dock kids and waitresses were super nice and friendly....but it seems like anyone that is over 40 that works there were straigh up A holes. Never been treated so rude in my life....and we stopped everyday for gas and ice and did our part to support them....Sorry to put them on blast right here online, but it was that bad.

Just up the lake a bit (where G-Rides pro shop is) was cheaper gas, cheaper beer and a dope pro shop. Shout out to the guys at G-Rides, super nice guys and a great selection considering the size of their proshop. The 5 girls with us really liked the womens selection.

When we wanted to ride we would head out of the marina and head left, if we were surfing/booze cruisin' we would head right.

...or, we had a little secret spot in our backyard because the water was so high...

Norris Lake is a better fit for me and my crew over Cumberland or Dale Hollow...the place is insane.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-22-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
WOW! the private house rental is the way to go. Those prices are pretty sweet. Houseboats are sweet but man it looks like you would get the same feel with some of the houses you can rent there without the hassle of gas, worrying about water and filling your sewer.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
John we own a the condo rustic bay E on www.norrislakeproperties.com it sleeps 9. If you need larger the have other homes. All come with covered slips and short walks from the condos or homes to them. As for Flat Hollow they don't call the grumpy gary for no reason. The marina that NAW is speaking highly of is Spring Dock, one of the best on the lake for everything. Also G-Rides has a second shop across the lake at Seqayah Marina.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Almost forgot if you stay at lakeside the ramp is in the resort and the pool is opening this week. If our condo is open pm me and I will give you a discounted rate if it works for you.
Old     (kkong72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Patrick, did G-rides buy the pro shop at Seqayah? If I remember right it was still owned by The Mission out of Knoxville. I could be wrong though.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-23-2009, 3:02 AM Reply   
Nick Mission did not open for the 2008 season. This year Nick and Matt from G-Rides opened it. Whats nice is that if they have what you want at one store, but the wrong size they might have it at the other.