Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-14-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
I'm considering changing towers on my 00' Xstar that I just picked up last weekend. It has the original zero flex but was considering the mt2 for storage purposes...and I just can't stand the original zero-flex. Anyone have experience with patching the mount holes? I'm going to try calling some local places but I'm afraid this could get really pricy.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-15-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Just had mine done roughly 800 for the glass work and 2100.00 for the ND tower. Spendy but worth it to me I hate the original tower, and the glass work was awesome.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-15-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Wow! 800 bucks huh? I figured it could be pretty spendy but wasn't thinking quite that high. Thanks though.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-15-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
you could try your local auto body supply store or shop and get the supplies to DIY.. i did one back in '97 on a MC 200 VRS and it turned out really good.. just had to get the gel to match up with exisitng gel and then seal it to prevent fade.. it was no where near $800 and the new owner couldn't even tell when he bought it.. fun project, you should give it a shot.. good luck either way!
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-15-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
I thought about trying to patch the holes myself then take it somewhere to have the gel coat done. I am somewhat handy but I really have no idea all it might entail. The front mounts wouldn't be bad I don't think because it's in an all white are but the side mount holes are half in white and half in black. Definitely sounds like it might be worth looking into though!
Old     (98vrs225)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-16-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
gator grip - covers everything
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
The two local shops I talked to both said between $350-$500
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
You can get gelcoat that is an exact match. Just fill the holes, sand, buff, and you're good.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-16-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
So where would I go to get the supplies for this kind of project? I've done basic fiberglass patches with mesh and resin but I'm assuming this requires something different? And gel-coating? Hull is white and black.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-17-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
There are 2 ways to go:
1. Go to your local marine supply store and get a gelcoat repair kit. It will come with several colors and you can mix yourself to match as closely as possible.
2. Go to www.spectrumcolor.com and order the exact color for your boat. They have gelcoat colors based on your boat manufacturer. Be sure to call your boat manufacturer first and get the actual gelcoat colors from your Hull ID#. I thought my boat was black and white, but it was actually black and really light grey.
Just fill in the holes with the gelcoat paste, let it dry, then sand and buff. Then send me the $400 you saved.