Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-07-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
No disrespect to Danny Harf but what happened to our Reef girl?, First thing I do is check out page 3 for her and she has been missing in the last two issues. What does everyone else think?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
not trying to start an argument or anything, but i really think it is quite a stretch to use a girl in a "thong" (swim suit) to advertise for a "thong" (sandle)

...i know... i know... sex sells... and nothing is ever gona change that until the end of the earth.
I have come real close to ending my subscription because there is more and more of it... so i think it is nice to not have it.
I know that it is a "water sports" mag and that that kind of thing goes along with it... ;)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-07-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
why would you cancel a subscription because one ad? i would (and have) because of the sub par photos and weak content.

but from what ive seen in the last couple issues they have been stepping it up.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-07-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
weak photos??? That Aaron Aubrey photo was one of the best I've seen lately...maybe because I'm a local and kinda biased towards delta photos, but I've seen nothing like it...ever!

plus I think I'm gonna buy some KMC wheels before a pair of thongs anyways.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-07-2008, 10:47 PM Reply   
wow...cancel a subscription because of an ad?

Upload
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-08-2008, 3:42 AM Reply   
Wakemitch, have you read this new issue? I thought it was one of the best I'd read in awhile...
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
I agree with Brett, I think it is too and I can see where Reef is going. Just miss it. It became a habit, everyday I wake up and check Wakeworld, every month I open the mag to page 3 to check the girl in the G.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
My wife always gets the mail first. She'd usually rip that ad out right away anyway. My kids like to page through that magazine and they don't need to see that...and my wife says I don't either
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
but the girls and their careers!?!?!? what will they do? We all know where they will have to turn to for jobs.. This is terrible. We need to start a committee to save the Reef Girls!! Stat! It's these girls' only hope!

seriously they can't get rid of it, it IS reef.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
Just got this email:

-----------------------------------------------------------

"The actual reason is that Reef is now pushing their girls clothing line pretty hard. With them trying to appeal to females, they thought is was best to stop pushing the "sex sells" marketing strategy."

-------------------------------------------------

Thats too bad. The way I look at it, the females browsing and see those ads think "I want to look like that" Thats a good thing for both males and females
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
OH PLEASE!!! They have had reef girls in wake and surf mags FOR EVER. I think the liberals have a hand in this, they are always trying to change things tom make the world P.C.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
Any female input? Girls what do you think?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-08-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Those ads make me think she's got a fabulous butt and I need to get into the gym.. pronto!

It doesn't bother me at all if my husband stares at them. You can see the same think at the lake most weekends.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-08-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
my chick looks at them. and I definitely enjoy them.

"sex sells" for men and women. Its either "I want that" or "I want to be that" so we need the Reef girl back.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Between this, and my broken Drams...I'm switching to Sanuk!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
It wouldn't make me cancel the subscription, but it makes my wife want to cancel it. I'm kind of glad its gone, just so she doesn't have something to complain about.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-08-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Easy Joe, I was under the impression you were mellowing a bit on these boards. Of course, I am not surprised you are so hasty and passionate in putting down Mr. Byrom. Afterall, you are the authority on young ladies and their role in the sport of wakeboarding.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-08-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
I wouldn't worry too much about Joe's post. He's probably been waiting for a week and a half for the right opportunity to post that pic up!
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Wow- this is an outrage we need to start a petition and get these girls jobs back... if you think about it, its kind of discrimination.. hahah.. tell your wives to stop hatin' the booties are great!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
I don't get why a wife would hate on those pics. Is your wife not allowed to look at calvin klein ads with dudes in underwear? that is just nuts.

Bring back the booty!!!
Old    K.B.C.            05-08-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
LAME
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-08-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Hey at least they replaced her with the 2007 PMOY!! That chick is smokin hot. It was strange to see her with clothes on....
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote from jeremy-
not trying to start an argument or anything, but i really think it is quite a stretch to use a girl in a "thong" (swim suit) to advertise for a "thong" (sandle)

...i know... i know... sex sells... and nothing is ever gona change that until the end of the earth.
I have come real close to ending my subscription because there is more and more of it... so i think it is nice to not have it.
I know that it is a "water sports" mag and that that kind of thing goes along with it... ;)

So have you come out of the closet yet?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-08-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I guess I'll be the one that has to get this started... (Jeremy, avert your puritanical eyes!):

Upload
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Meaux! I am sorry but unless you like big women or you are gay, I dont see how you cant like looking at that.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
See that sells for both male and female!
Nice Steve
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-08-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
You are the man Steve. I just logged back on to do the same thing!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
SMACK!
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-08-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
bout time someone started that
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       05-08-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
HELLO!
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Man who wants to see a bunch of hawt chicks anyways. Its very offensive. I mean look at them with their nice tans, flat abs, and firm butts.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
UploadUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-08-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
NICE!!!!

Guys, I hate to bring this up, but if your wife has a problem with a reef ad, then wow she's got some issues. There's nothing wrong with those ads. I don't think they're entirely necesary for kids to see, but if its not that, then it's the Playboy they stole from dads closet or Moms Victoria Secret catalog.

IMO there's nothing more rad than coming home to my wife flipping through our monthly copy of Playboy. I'm sure she just reads it for the articles, though. LOL!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
mitch, joe, and lots others~

Ok ok WHOA!
i guess when i said

quote:

...there is more and more of it...

i said it with too little description and explanation and left it too general.

It is actually nice when there is a "sex" ad in the same spot every time, like the Reef ad. It is easy to skip over for "puritanical" eyes like mine ;)
(and easy to find for others who would prefer their eyes to "stray" a bit)

The "MORE AND MORE OF IT" i was referring to was:
"sex" advertising for the life jackets, towers, speakers, etc.
10+ years ago when i first ordered the mag there was basically only the predictable 2-3rd page reef ad, not pg 11, 18, 21,22,23,24, 41, and well you get the idea.

I used to laugh at all the editor letters from mothers who canceled their sons' subscriptions because of those SINGLE REEF ads and thought it was a little extreme... remarkable in a sense, but mostly extreme.

I actually did "cancel" (not re-new) once. but my dad, the cool guy that he is re-newed it for me secretly as a surprise ;)
and i still look at every mag to this day... what wake content i can find anyway

AGAIN, I WOULD ONLY CANCEL FOR MULTIPLE ADS NOT "ONE REEF AD"
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Evan

My girlfriend is the same way. We go to our friends house and first thing she does is sit down and look at the newest PB.

We were just out in Cali at Coachella for a friends bachelor party and when we got back she was asking about all the hot women we saw and looking at the pics of the nice asses we took.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Its hard to imagine being in the boating lifestyle without having your girl being comfortable with you seeing or being around girls in bikinis.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
this thread is so absolutely offensive..

Upload
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
^^^^^Those girls are droppin it to the ground like they ain't got manners.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Mostly all these ads do for people (besides make lots of money for those making the ads) is create eating disorders, especially among females

...sorry, just a bit of my school learning in dietetics and exercise science...

F.Y.I

the last time a "healthy body weight" for a female was portrayed in the media was probably, Marylin Monroe. 1950-60s
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
what's wrong chase, did you fall off the wagon again?

jeremy, i was actually playin' with you. i couldn't care less what another person thought of the ads. i dig 'em. my son digs 'em. my girlfriend digs 'em. that's all that matters to me.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-08-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
MY EYES, MY EYES!!!

It burns! You evil bas####'s!
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=25300.0

I know they arent Reef girls but it is 112 pages of beautiful women and a few that arent. 1675 post and 47000 views.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Reef girls and girls in watersports in general always look pretty healthy to me. I think its hollywood that is pushing that thin as bones look. Eating disorders are definitely a concern nowadays, but i doubt its from reef girls.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
more reef girls
Old     (quickpilot1010)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
yea the last WBM was packed, the best one ive seen so far
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-08-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Cliff -

I'm agreeing with Evan. If your girl has an issue with looking at a Reef ad.. that's a whole other story. Unless that girl is going to jump out of the magazine and onto your lap.. what's the problem?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
If your wife has a problem with it... It's probably time to trade her in for a younger faster model.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Just buy your chick a reef top and put her in a thong, and she will be looking at all the pics and videos with ya. Only she will be comparing them to herself, while you are blissfully unaware.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
take her to the strip club. She'll get over the reef ads quick.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
HAHA! YES!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
Machew and Brett if you read my post i did say that ive noticd they've been stepping it up. I love that pic of Aubrey. Rodrigo takes amazing shots.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
DAM
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
i saw a letter to the editor were the guy was complaining that his wife or something was getting made at the ad. Guess we know who wears the pants in that family. Most girls love lookin at stuff like that! I would hate to see what thier wifes say when your out on the water and t&a is everywere.....

Jermey your post was kinda gay..... sorry bro. You can choose not to stare at the ad but do you tell girls on the water to put thier clothes back on too?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-08-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
man o man i wish i coupld get started on this issue...however i need to bite my tounge at this moment. time to get off the computer

this i can say. to each their own but im completely against pushing your views upon others. there is a this called self sensorship. lets all be adults and enjoy our freedom that we have and be glad were not in a country were we are controlled like robots
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
STEVE- your awsome. i used to have the best reef girl calender.. i think i kept it up on the wall for a couple of years.lol

CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION?? are you mad, and someones wife pulls out the page.ahahahaha if my lady did that i would be like "you should see what i look at on the computer".lol
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-09-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Come to wakeworld for the wake and boating conversation but you stay for the marital advice.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-09-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Wow about the wife ripping out the Reef Ad. What day and age are they living in? Sex is all over mainstream media.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
true, tell her she can't go to walmart because the underwear has pics of buff guys jocks on it.

could we just replace every post in this thread with REEF girls? please?
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-09-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
"could we just replace every post in this thread with REEF girls? please?"

We can start.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-09-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
am i getting this right? Reef is no longer going to advertise in wakeboard mag with pix of perfect asses?

look at the pictures above my post.......

we need to start a petition to get these types of ad's back into wakeboard magazine.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
o m g i am in love
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-09-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
This girl is my hero..

Upload
Old     (brianbass)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-09-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
MMMMMMMMM TASTY
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-09-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
me too how can she stay on that little piece of wood without falling, omg def... my heroe !
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-09-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Best one ever right there! ^^^^^^^
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Even the wood that she's laying on has "wood"
Old    K.B.C.            05-09-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
this thread has definitely taken a turn in the right direction since I last checked it. good work!
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-09-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I would have to agree with you Scott.....may have to keep checking this one out....

i am going to have to agree with Radikal on this one....what pic has to be graphically altered because no one would be able to lay on that little piece of wood without falling off.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
i'm sorry if some of you take my post(s) to sound like a preacher, accusing many of you of sin or something, but that is not at all what it is... just my opinion is all. if you did take it as such than maybe you have a bit of a guilty conscience, i can't think of any other reason

Soli ~
"post?" as in you didn't read my other post?
or maybe you read both and still think i am "gay"
"gay" is thrown around so generally now that maybe you just think i am "silly," "odd," or whatever. which is fine. I am used to standing out in my own way(s) But if you meant "gay" as in homo, then i am afraid you are very mistaken. I have a wife and 3 month old child... but i guess that is no consolation these days.
And No, i do not tell girls to put on more clothes as you assume (making an A$$ out of U and ME) I have worked at Powell 3 different years (this being my 4th) and have done no such thing. Powell, mind you, gets plenty of guests from all over the world with all extremes of how much skin to show is too much.

its sad that the word "gay" suffered the ruining-reconstruction of its perfectly "happy" definition. And even more sad that someone trying to live a good... how should i say,... "chaste-family-man-lifestyle" is suffering the same vocabulary-shortening, damning fate as the word "gay." ohh well. i will rather take pride in my strength of running up stream of the general flow instead of flowing with the general "main-stream"
With that said. looking at a reef ads does not make anyone necessarily a "bad family man" or a "cheater" or whatever. AND NOT looking (DWELLING UPON to be specific... sure I SEE them!) at them sure does NOT make a guy "gay" (in the sense of not being a man or being a homo.) different... ok...ya maybe, but not "gay/ homo"
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-09-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
^ ^ ^

Upload

(Message edited by h20jnky on May 09, 2008)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
Someone once told me that wakeworld was created for the advancement of the sport, it was echoing in my head as I read this.
"I'm not gay.
yes, youre gay.
look at this picture"

Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
i didnt mean your were gay like your a homo! what i said was your comment was kinda gay! I understand what you mean after your long arse post, and is your right to have your own views. Sorry you took it the wrong way, no pun intended.

Ths thread has the best pics I've ever seen keep um coming
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-09-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
A couple more.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-12-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
screw the haters, my son and I love the reef ads

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
#10 is a 10.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-12-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Elizabeths hero is mine too, save me I'm drowning!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Sometimes I feel that wakeboarding is a lot less gay with the reef girls in our lives and magazines. Without the girls, the sport generally appears to be a collection of stories about a bunch of young, ripped, shirtless single men on a "cruise" to ride somewhere exotic. If that isn't totally gay, I don't know what is.

And at other times I think all the Reef girl fans are closet gays trembling in fear that they will get found out and not invited out on the boat with their "boys" . . .

The only thing I am sure of is that Umali cannot be trusted.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-12-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Total exploitation of women.....how's that for an argument starter!! Well it is!!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
beuatiful women that is:-) remember these women are making a living off there butts. honestly if i could make money off my beer gut i would.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-12-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah...that's how all the guys justify it I'd rather make money off my brains and nursing skills....way more rewarding.