Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-07-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
I have two fosgate 12s in an box and a fosgate power 250 watt amp. The subs are kinda weak. What should i do here...trying not to break the bank. anyone with a supra with aftermarket stereo please post some pics, i would really like to see some, also say how much you spent. thanks.
Old    wakeupdude            06-07-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
First off, you really should be using a bigger amp to be powering 2 12" subs decently. A 250 Watt amp isn't nearly enough power for your subs, so that is your problem.

Second off, gotta love that name of yours!(mines Brukiewicz):-P
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2004, 11:54 PM Reply   
Agreed, a single 250 watt amp isn't enough power for 2 12 inches. I have more than that running through my single JL Audio W7 10 inch.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-08-2004, 12:03 AM Reply   
i dont think it is a 250 watt actually, i think i may have made a mistake...anyways that equipment is junk...im open to suggestions and would like to see some pics still
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
Where do you have 2 12s? I have an 04 SSV and have no place for a properly sized tuned and ported single 12 inch enclosure. Unless you have the enclosure sitting in the middle of the walk space, I would bet that your enclosure is too small for your 2 12s to produce any good bass regardless of amp size.

I have an 8" and 10" sub in parallel behind the false wall in front of the driver seat. My amplifier is a 1200 Watt Kenwood 5 Channel amp with a built in crossover. I have enough bass to make the china of the Lakefront houses rattle.

I recommend you downsize your subs. Ironically, it will get you better sounding, harder thumping bass. A quick fix for you would be to get 2 Bazooka 10" RS subs that ARE NOT SELF Amplified and get a high quality 400 watt amp that can handle a 2 ohm load. Place both 10s behind the false wall, place one facing toward the left and the other toward the right and you will have plenty of pounding bass.

If you want to go with properly sized 10" enclosures, you will have to custom build one single 10" ported enclosure into that space behind the false wall. You also could have another 10" enclosure behind the passenger seat near the battery. I recommend getting a second battery if you play your music much without the boat running. Here is a pic of the location I am referring to.

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Boat%20Audio&galleryid=8&picid=51&Pa geIndex=0&PicPageIndex=1#Pictures
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
By the way, if your amp has a mono mode, you could use your fosgate 250 go to a single 10" and it will sound great if the 10 is in a properly ported enclosure. Then you could by another Fosgate 250 and another 10" sub/enclosure and do the same thing.

The result, use the amp you have, buy 2 10" subs and build 2 single 10" enclosures.

Price varies on subs and enclosures, but if you go with the bazooka rs idea, the 10" bazooka rs non-amplified sub/enclosure is about 150 dollars online. So you could go with 2 bazookas at 300 dollars plus and extra Fosgate 250 at however much they are selling for. Make sure you use a crossover to filter out the highs and mids from the subs.

Good Luck
Old    whitechocolate            06-10-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
BIGGER AMP!

This should do the trick. I think you can get it for like $4,000 . It should power thoes Rockford subs for about 2 seconds. After that they will sound better than they ever will
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
The 12s are in my car, not the boat. my mistake i should have said that. thanks for the advice. yoyo, did you upgrade the stock speakers in addition to adding the subs and tower speakers?
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
I was fortunate to have everything already in my boat except bass. It came with good 10" Kenwood sub mounted on the false wall. However, the bass sucked since the 10 was not in a true enclosure. So instead of me taking time to build a custom enclosure in that area behind the false wall, I decided to get an 8" bazooka and a 10" Audiobahn tube enclosure for my Kenwood 10" sub and hook them in parallel on the bass channel of my amp(the 5th channel). All I had to do is slide them in that space and screw the false wall back on.

The picture you see isn't as recent. I recently replaced the white 10" grill with a chrome Audiobahn Flame grill. It is now a sweet setup. I'll have pics of that soon.

Good luck with the setup. Show some pics when your done. I would love to see it.